Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Crysis Demo Available for download (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/21200-crysis-demo-available-download.html)

jedicri 10-26-2007 06:31 PM

Crysis Demo Available for download

http://na.llnet.cdn.ea.com/u/demos/Crysis_SP_Demo.exe

simpson_yellow 10-27-2007 06:17 AM

Cool. Downloading now. Looking forward to seeing this - hope my system can take it :P

SoccerDude28 10-27-2007 09:03 AM

My system took it on high settings, and it looks stunning. Also the suit adds some depth to the game. This is looking like a winner.

simpson_yellow 10-27-2007 08:11 PM

Very nice! The suit is cool and the claims of massive gameplay freedom don't seem to have been exaggerated at all. Looking forward to mid-Nov (as if I haven't been spoilt enough already in the last couple of months with Bioshock and the Orange Box :P).
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 (Post 445624)
My system took it on high settings, and it looks stunning.

What are your specs, Sdude? I ran it happily with all settings at Medium, but things are pretty choppy with all settings at High (and Very High pretty much brings my system to its knees, beats it into submission, and leaves it a whimpering mess in the corner).

I'm running in 1680x1050 on 64-bit Vista Premium with a factory oc'ed 8800GTS 640MB, 2gb RAM and a Core2Duo E6600 at stock settings.

I'd half expected my system to run this puppy a little more sweetly than it does. Not that it doesn't look gorgeous with Medium settings, but I'd love to squeeze a bit more out of it. Also, does anyone know if the demo has DX10 features enabled, or just DX9 (in which case, the final DX10 version will be even more taxing on my rig :frown: )?

SoccerDude28 10-27-2007 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpson_yellow (Post 445701)
What are your specs, Sdude? I ran it happily with all settings at Medium, but things are pretty choppy with all settings at High (and Very High pretty much brings my system to its knees, and beats it into submission, and leaves it a whimpering mess in the corner).

I have an nVidia 8800 GTX 768 MB, 2 Gigs of Ram and Intel Core Duo 1.86 GHz. I t ran pretty smoothly on high settings, probably stuttered once or twice only, but I didn't dare put it on the very high settings. Don't want my machine to explode :D

simpson_yellow 10-27-2007 11:30 PM

Ah, I guess the GTX would help considerably. Might have to try my hand at a little overclocking before release date :D

Anyone else had a go at the demo yet? I thought the most impressive bits were the destructible environments and the water. Crytek have really gone all out with attention to detail again.

RLacey 10-28-2007 03:17 AM

I may try and test it this evening. I'll be interested to see how it plays on my mere mortal's PC (Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 2Gb RAM, Geforce Go 7900, Windows Vista 32-bit)... ;)

samIamsad 10-28-2007 04:17 AM

The game's supposedly made to tax tomorrow's machines as well, so I wouldn't expect all that awesome performance on today's machines on some settings. Even if they cost you as much as a small car.

I'm reserving my judgement until I've actually played the game one day, but with all those other games out there I still utterly fail to see what's so rich about this that you'd need a machine like that. And in terms of visuals, there's apparently still objects popping up left and right. Maybe Crytek added mechanics, AI economy and a level of world simulation so deep you'd expect say maybe Looking Glass to implement if given today's technology, if they were still around that is. Ah, who am I kidding here? :D

MasterLoo 10-28-2007 08:18 AM

What an insane size, just for a demo... 1813.9 MB :crazy:
Nobody in their right mind would download that much just to test a game, unless they are pretty sure they want it already.

jedicri 10-28-2007 08:28 AM

Lol, apparently, many have downloaded this demo and it's worthwhile too.

The demo allows you to use the nanosuit in various objectives. One player's tactics will differ from another's, it all depends on how you decide to tackle the situation. I'm personally doing the stealth aspect of the game. The second ttime around, I'll be more aggressive and use the firepower I know I'm capable of creating with the surrounding environmental objects at my disposal.

The auto detect set my rig at HIGH so I went with that, no AA and gamed at a resolution of 1920x1200, XP 32-bit. The game ran smoothly and looked gorgeous ---almost photorealistic.

Melkor 10-28-2007 09:43 AM

I've read about people trying DX10-mode with everything maxed, and it just doesn't work. under 20 FPS on 8800GTX'es (and [email protected], 4GB overclocked RAM etc. etc.).

I think I'll wait a couple of years until I have the money to buy a computer that has a chance (in hell) of running it like it's supposed to look. I'm sure the game is pretty damn solid though. Too bad I'm lagging in the technology-department as of late.

Fop 10-29-2007 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterLoo (Post 445739)
What an insane size, just for a demo... 1813.9 MB :crazy:
Nobody in their right mind would download that much just to test a game, unless they are pretty sure they want it already.

Eh, why not? I can spare my bandwidth for a couple of hours.

samIamsad 10-29-2007 11:35 AM

Farcry vs Crysis. *shrugs* Since the latter game can eat quad core CPUs and 500 bucks video cards for breakfast, I just.. dunno. Alas, maybe Crysis is really simulating amazing stuff like winds and nose hair moving accordingly. What the heck, I think I'm gonna give that demo a go. I mean, who DOESN'T want to know what the fuss is all about? :D

kuze 10-29-2007 02:17 PM

Well, the DX10 shots look very movie-like.

simpson_yellow 10-29-2007 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samIamsad (Post 445900)
Farcry vs Crysis. *shrugs*

The demo is definitely an awful lot like Far Cry, even down to the hammy voice acting for the main character :D. Still, there was a significant amount of awesomeness in Far Cry, so similarities aren't unwelcome as far as I'm concerned.

And I reckon the water alone is worth the price of admission - I'd be happy to doggy paddle around those bays for hours just admiring the water effects. :9~

Christian IV 10-31-2007 07:28 AM

I have been researching Far Cry and Crytek's work for a while now, and really like FC. They have worked all out with major commitment of assets on Crysis, and have pushed the envelope in lots of ways I hear. They talkes about a virtually infiinite game world, so that you could fly a plane around the world in the game...dont know if that came off in the end but it was fun to hear about. I have an older system than most mentioned here, so dont expect to see a lot of the top effects but it is good to see this major effort finally coming to us soon.

Kolzig 10-31-2007 02:22 PM

Heh, downloading this beast right now as I write this.

I'm expecting good framerate with the lowest possible settings. Tomorrow evening I'll test this and give you my thoughts about it.

RLacey 10-31-2007 04:56 PM

I'm downloading this this evening (yay for fast university connections), but I won't get to play it for a while :frown:.

samIamsad 10-31-2007 10:19 PM

HOLY SH.... :crazy: I'm taking a lot of what I said back. Like right now. At first I wasn't super impressed, although the foliage sure looked spiffy. It is true however, you can make out polygons still easily, especially on rocks, objects DO pop up left and right, and the texture detail could use some work as well. The game suggested I should run the game with everything set to medium, and so I do. Anyway, I thought it looked good, like I expecte it to. That was BEFORE sunrise. And then I saw:

Bushes and foliage that actually BENDS once you touch it?
Animals that react to you accordingly? I tried to chase a bunch of weird birds into the water, but they refused to do that. Although scared silly by me running after them, they must be even more afraid to get wet. Weird birdies. :D
The outline of shadows that break accordingly on grass, every surface, etc.?
Logs of woods you can push down the hills, and dozens of objects you can interact with which in general just behave like you'd imagine they would? I threw a dead chicken into the sea close to the shore and its body actually moved back and forth with the tide!
An island that is like friggin' huge and just feels like a real place instead of some map with "END OF LEVEL" signs and invisible walls everywhere?
It's all quite amazing.

And then I really like the open approach to gameplay, always did. It's like the exact opposite of Half Life. Admittedly I spent like hours just walking the island, it's like holiday, and apparently game makers are scaringly fast approaching something that indeed looks like photo-realism. I think I'd buy an entire game that has you just walking a dozen finely crafted islands like that. :D The best part though, is that although the intro sequence seemed to struggle every once in a while, the game runs quite FINE on my cheapo 8600GT card (overclocked to 620/800) in 1024x768 pixels.

samIamsad 11-01-2007 03:30 PM

Hey simps, I found out that setting the texture quality to high doesn't seem to have any significant impact on my performance at all, and I'm running a 256 megs card.. sweet, that. You should be able to do that as well. What seems to have the biggest impact is the "shader quality" setting... With everything set to low the game looks far worse than Farcry while still demanding a far more powerful computer to run.

I'll download the latest ForceWare driver (169.01) Nvidia released for this demo just to see what's cookin'. :)

Quote:

Release-Highlights:
Beta driver for GeForce 6, 7, and 8 series GPUs.
Recommended driver for Crysis single player game demo.
Several game and application compatibility fixes. Please read the release notes for more information on product support, features, driver fixes and known compatibility issues.