You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Rumours of Jack Black, Rock n' Roll and Double Fine turn out to be true

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 03:47 AM   #121
The Quiet One

Now I'm getting really ticked off. My copy should've arrived today but it hasn't.

I. Will. Play. This. Eventually.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 11-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #122
The Quiet One

Well, it's no surprise really: just like Psychonauts, Brutal Legend hasn't really sold all that well at retail. On the bright side, however, it did beat DJ Hero in sales.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 11-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #123
Psychonaut

Actually I think that is reasonable numbers for a niche game.

Psychonauts sold less than 100k in it's first year never mind first couple of weeks.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:19 AM   #124

How are you guys finding the game now that it's out?

I just finished it (on PS3) and had a blast. The backlash about the RTS elements seems a bit unfair, though I think this could've been avoided if they'd included some of it in the demo.

I do think the learning curve was a bit off on the strategy side. Without going into spoilers, about half-way into the game you face a new faction for (more or less) the first time and have to figure out how to counter all kinds of new enemies all the while attempting your first full-on Stage vs Stage battle. Way too much to take in all at once when you're dying five times in a row...

It took Schafer's blog post of tips to end the frustration, which is not a good sign. If you need to tell people they're doing it wrong maybe you're failing to communicate something. Double Fine could learn a few things from Valve about player training: never letting you progress until you've understood what you need to know and ALWAYS one thing at a time. In this day and age a game should be learn-able without resorting to a strategy guide. Having said that, once you do get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun.

Incidentally, my PSN id is "ninjadodo" if anyone wants to try the Multiplayer.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #125
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I know what you mean, loved the game but the complete lack of a decent tutorial led me to missing quite a few things on my first play through.
I went through the game no realizing that you could activate all those statues and legends at the start, I thought they were gonna be some story element that you got a guitar solo for.
Also had no idea you could jump in your stage to slow down enemies and blast them back, only noticed the little loading screen tip on my second play through.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:18 AM   #126

I actually liked that the game didn't explicitly tell you how to free the Legends.

It's fun to figure things out yourself, but you need a relatively safe environment to do so. When you're trying to learn the properties and weaknesses of five or so new enemy units all the while facing off against a fellow-avatar for the first time this is not quite so forgiving.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #127
Headbanger

Really great game, almost worth waiting 14 years for (since Full Throttle). I will soon kick start my Xbox live goldmembership and try some brĂ¼tal multiplayer gaming.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:13 AM   #128
Life and times of...

Did you notice that Tim Schafer was in Late Night with Jimmy Fallon? Now, I haven't been actually following the game, and haven't seen Late Night since Conan left ('cause they now show the Tonight Show), but anyways, thought it might be worth a look, haven't actually seen it myself yet either... It's only about 4:30 long...
http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon...._cid=thefilter
Old 12-14-2009, 05:46 AM   #129
Headbanger

I hadn't seen that. Really funny.