You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 12:57 AM   #41
Squeaky

It's basically just loading HL2 maps into Portal. In the 'About This Video' pane for the clip, there's a link to a page explaining how they did it. You can do it with a bunch of Source Engine games (there's also a Portal / CSS clip - not as much fun though, since there are no enemies).

I'm kind of impressed that the engine's flexible enough to handle it without tying itself in knots.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:13 AM   #42
merely human

Yeah, if I were gonna show some kind of regret for not doing the PC version, it would be that, all those cool mods for the game.

But I no longer own a bleeding edge PC and have invested most of my money on my X360 and HDTV and such. I do hope that Valve can create a few new DLC for Portal.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #43

I know I'm late to the party (and it looks like I missed all the cake) but I have to say that this game is awesome.
And something that bugs me more and more: is there a reason why this isn't considered an "adventure game"? I don't want to start an argument over vocabulary, but I'm very curious about what rubric you could use to claim that Penumbra is an adventure game and Portal is not. I held off on playing this game for a long time due to my assumption that it was a lot like a First-Person Shooter, so I was extremely pleasantly surprised to see the fantastic learning curve and the focus on cleverness rather than reflexes.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #44
fire breathing

has anyone else tried the bonus maps yet? I'm stuck on advanced test chamber number 15. Seems to be a study in reflexes, and I can't quite get it.

frustrating.

in a good way.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #45
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiHann View Post
And something that bugs me more and more: is there a reason why this isn't considered an "adventure game"? I don't want to start an argument over vocabulary, but I'm very curious about what rubric you could use to claim that Penumbra is an adventure game and Portal is not.
I know this is a February post but *cough*.

Anyway, it's fun! Although I'm already stuck on Test chamber 5:

Spoiler:
the one with the mucky floor that you can't touch
Old 05-22-2008, 02:30 AM   #46

There are a lot of chambers with mucky floors so I'm not sure which one that was again, but I found that coming back to it later if I was stuck always made it click eventually. Just be sure to pay attention to Glados and the little icons on the walls.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #47

oblig:

don't listen to them....

.....the cake is a lie!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #48

Send a message via MSN to Sgt. BigMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
oblig:

don't listen to them....

.....the cake is a lie!
Actually, at the end there was cake, and if you no clip to the end, you can get to the cake.