You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Dirt - Origin of the Species

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2007, 01:56 PM   #1

I took my preorder off and bought Dirt instead.

Dirt: Origin of the Species is a "So Bad it's Good" game. DIRT - Origen of the Species - Yep - has lots of bugs and the control is crap. It even has an "adventure" mode for those who like adventure games. I picked this and it just looked like an average third person shooter to me.

Critics gave it awful reviews:

"For those who feel that the female demographic is sadly underrepresented in the action shooter genre, save for spandex-wearing, overly nubile, impossibly chested girls with little purpose but to titillate the prospective player rather than represent equality with the typical male action hero, Nu Generation's new title, Origin of the Species, may change your mind…at least as far as the spandex part goes. Imagine, if you will, a game where a young girl who resembles an unholy union between Malice from the game of the same name and Ulala from Space Channel 5 dons a pair of overly baggy jeans, pigtails, and a pair of Uzis (among around 15 other available weapons) and goes around blowing away mutated science experiments for 30 levels, all the while leaping and spinning around in an uberstylish fashion. OK, so it's not going to win any originality or feminism awards, but that doesn't mean that it can't be fun. And from what we've seen of Origin of the Species, there's definitely potential for some crazy, over-the-top shooting action to be had.

The plot of Origin of the Species was only loosely described to us, but in a nutshell, it tells the story of the aforementioned candy raver girl, a former guinea pig in some kind of insidious experiment who ends up in the middle of a battle between evil military soldiers and horrifically mutated insects (the result of more scientific meddling). The main point of the game, however, does not look to be story, but rather opportunities for you to shoot bad guys and bad bugs to your heart's content. The game is very much a traditional third-person shooter. The portions of the game shown to us featured the main character running around various urban environments--including a subway station and a strip club--killing nasty creatures with her pair of Uzis. Apart from the various guns she can use, she'll be able to wield 10 different types of special powers, derived from her scientifically altered body. The one we saw was a telekinesis power, which worked pretty much exactly how you would expect TK powers to work.

The game looks to throw a few stylish and bizarre twists into the action formula. For instance, our heroine can execute some stylish maneuvers that send the camera into slow motion. One such example was a spin move that put the girl into something of a ballerina pirouette as she fired her Uzis, blasting anything within a 360-degree radius of her into chunks of bloody mess. Depending on the type of style you choose at the beginning of the game (you'll be able to choose from four different preferred play styles: sharpshooter, stealth, exploration, and aggression), you'll be awarded special style points for each type of action. So if you're a sharpshooter, you'll earn bonuses for more accurate kills, whereas a stealthy player would earn points for--you guessed it--stealth kills. In an utterly bizarre feature, the main character also wears a little teddy bear backpack that appears to be alive, and emotes the situation as you play, grimacing when you're firing and frowning when you take damage. There wasn't really any specific point to mentioning this; it was just too weird not to point out."

Scores of 2.0 (Terrible) to 5.0 (Awful) are the norm for this game.

Me - it is playable and so bad I just howl in this game - a must buy for those who loved "Plan 9 from outerspace".

Old 10-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
Headbanger

If it's worse then Zombieville then I'll be impressed.