You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2007, 01:16 PM   #1
handsome

1Up's exclusive look:
http://www.destructoid.com/1up-s-exc...me-43276.phtml

the nurses are getting old imo ..

Last edited by Melanie68; 09-09-2007 at 01:20 PM. Reason: merging posts
Old 09-09-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
Headbanger

Hmm, that made me a bit sceptical. The fact that it's totally different people that are making the fifth game isn't reassuring. So far The Collective seems to have a good taste for games but the ones they're making isn't the best. Indiana Jones and The Emperor's Tomb was not more then all right and The Da Vinci Code was half decent half worthless.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
Cheese Pants King

Send a message via Yahoo to Endosanity

Here is just the game footage and stills:

Silent Hill 5

I'm still gonna get this game. This time I hope that your character has some weapons experience instead of bumbling around like Henry did in SH4. Still all excellent games.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:37 PM   #4
gin soaked boy

I have to admit I have next to zero interest for this game, despite enjoying the first three. It's just too similar to previous installments, with a possible exception of SH4. Again it's flashlights, lead pipes, weird monsters, fog, rust and decay. Unless the series gets a radical overhaul like Resident Evil did with RE4, it's probably no more Silent Hill for me.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:45 AM   #5
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
(...) Unless the series gets a radical overhaul like Resident Evil did with RE4, it's probably no more Silent Hill for me.
Same here.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:43 PM   #6

I'm really looking forward to it but I'm hoping that it's all about the eerie-factor and not so much about combat and shooting. Silent Hill's creepiness is what made it!

I also hope they come up with a new scary creature rather than it being just the nurses. After playing all four games, the movie didn't really impress me, so I hope it's not purely based on that.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:54 AM   #7

Looks like the game will only be made for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360. Yuck! I'm so not getting that game. Beside, when it's not made by Team Silent it can't be much better than the Silent Hill movie or Resident Evil 4.

So it's official, KONAMI officially sold out. If this game is released for PC I will get hold of a copy just to test it, and if it's good I'll buy it, but I doubt it will be worth the time. The ideas american developers got of what makes a good ( survival horror) game and the ideas japanese developers got of what makes a good game just are different. Beside, the music in Silent Hill is what makes or breaks it for me. If Akira Yamaoka doesn't make the music it just won't be the same at all. Also, I have watched videos from the making of earlier Silent Hill games. The care and eye for detailes Team Silent got just can't be mimicked.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:58 AM   #8
kamikaze hummingbirds

Akira IS doing the music, though.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:16 PM   #9

From a gameplay prespective it looks worth while. I like the rehawl in combat but the graphics are what a person could call Silent Hill. It looks more like in terms of graphics they decided to focus on controls instead of graphics and controls. Either way I don't see why I shouldn't play the title?
Old 09-19-2007, 01:18 AM   #10
A Servicable Villain

We'll see what happens with Silent Hill 5. Being sceptical is perfectly valid, but after Silent Hill 4 I don't see how change could be bad. The only good thing about 4 was the premise, which was bone chilling. The gameplay was crappy though and it lacked so much. So any return to form can only be good.

I just don't know about this one. Could be good. Could be not.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:48 PM   #11

I thought Silent Hill 1 had best music, Silent Hill 2 had best story, Silent Hill 3 had best gameplay, and Silent Hill 4 had best/scariest enemies.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:36 PM   #12
A Servicable Villain

You think so? I thought the enemies of part 4 were a trifle over the top, which made them more ridiculous rather than scary. The clucking chicken-creatures in the watertower prison... meh. I'll stick to the horrifying nurses and meatblobs of the first three
Old 09-20-2007, 07:15 AM   #13
kamikaze hummingbirds

Some enemies in SH4 burped.
What was up there?
Old 09-20-2007, 11:41 AM   #14
Headbanger

What I like about SH4 is that they tried something new and the way they tell the story is rather groundbreaking. The bad thing about the game is that it is extremely repetitive. You play in more or less exactly the same environments over and over again. But other then that, two thumbs up.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:54 PM   #15
kamikaze hummingbirds

I don't get how some people who said SH4 was too different can criticize SH5 for being too similar.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:34 PM   #16

LOL! I thought the ghosts were freaky as! Especially since they wouldn't die! And the black-cloaked baby looking thing was creepy the way it pointed at you - especially the bit when there was a whole army of them! And the freaky girl that looks like something out of 'The Ring'/'The Grudge'. *SHUDDERS* And who can forget 'what's-his-face' when he chases you and shoots you. Aaaaugh!!!

I forgot about the belching thing. Was funny when you knock him down the stairs and he burps all the way down.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
I don't get how some people who said SH4 was too different can criticize SH5 for being too similar.
They must be very ignornant then. The game isn't even set to come out anytime soon.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #18
handsome

New gameplay footage

Fighting - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34051.html

Fighting 2 ( oh no! ) - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34053.html

Fighting 3 - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34078.html

Some cutscene ( nice glitches ) - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34059.html

Well, imo it looks everything but scary
Old 05-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #19
merely human

Hmm, doesn't look as polished and fluid as it could be. In the combat movies the animation seems choppy. I remember the skinless dogs from previous SH games having awful movements, not smooth at all. For this game it's just as bad. Ugh!

The cutscene movie was really crappy, LOL! They certainly did manage to import the terrible writing and dialogue (Japanese melodramatic misinterpretation of western drama?), even all the way from the first SH game. I remember those awkward, unnecessary pauses of silence between characters. The facial expressions are off, and the voice acting isn't unbearable, but the actors could use better directing.

Graphics wise there doesn't seem to be much progress. It looks on the same level as SH2, which I like very much. It's just that you'd think they'd truly take advantage of the more powerful consoles this generation.

We'll see, hopefully they can smooth out the many rough edges and we can have a good romp in this fog infested town again.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-15-2008, 02:50 PM   #20
merely human

Another detail I noticed, carried over from the previous games, is having to press a certain button (in this case 'X') to access a new area. This is so unnecessary given the current gen consoles' power and the game should be able to just seamlessly move the character from area to area. When you get him close enough to that crack in the wall, for example, he should just automatically squeeze through it (as done in other games like Assassin's Creed or Splinter Cell) and not have to wait for you to press a button to do so, which is just wasteful game design to me.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien