You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Silent Hill 1 PC (con)Version

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2004, 05:02 PM   #21
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC
I finshed the download. From the readme file:
"ePSXe is the main "engine" for the game. However, we have tweaked it to fully support Silent Hill and provide the best game experience possible".
Hope this helps
Yes DJC is right. Basically what they did is illegal. They wrote their own config frontend for ePSXe and included the iso image of Silent Hill in the release. As far as i know, Silent Hill 1 was never released as freeware by Konami.

So i guess this is only worth something to those who want to play SH1 on PC without having to tinker with settings of ePSXe or to get illegal copy of SH1.

As far as seeding on bittorrent goes, yes it seems there are problems with sources... i got stuck at 99.9% and kicking me back to 99.6% whole day, saying hash check failed, but then it got finalized somehow. i'm seeding it for the others, but i won't be doing it for long, since this is pretty much useless to me.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:26 PM   #22
merely human

I knew this was too good to be true.

Ah well, means that I won't feel obliged to play SH again. That game freaked the bejesus out of me!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-15-2004, 05:35 PM   #23
Grumpy & bitter man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
That game freaked the bejesus out of me!
You and me both buddy.

Well there is always a chance they'll remake the first one with SH2 or SH3 engine. Although because the first one was huge, i highly doubt that this will ever happen.

It would be like updating all final fantasy games with FF X graphics
Old 02-15-2004, 05:49 PM   #24
merely human

Oh I don't mind the raw looking graphics in SH. If fact, I actually think it contributes to the freakiness of the whole experience.

Kudos to Konami for having the cleverness to use the limitations of the engine (and PS1) to its advantage, creating an atmosphere where the fog, aside from concealing the draw distance, also concealed whatever horrible things were within hearing distance. And that flashlight effect ! I tell you, Voodoo, the first time I stepped out into the backyard of that house with nothing but my flashlight to guide me, and that damn choir music, I actually had to take a break to get ready to move forward in the dark.

There were moments, my friend, there were moments...
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-15-2004, 06:16 PM   #25
Grumpy & bitter man

Quote:
Oh I don't mind the raw looking graphics in SH. If fact, I actually think it contributes to the freakiness of the whole experience.
Well to tell you the truth, i don't mind the graphics either. I even prefer to run the game on VGS with all it's blockiness. I never really liked the look of it on ePSXe with all the enhanced stuff. Characters looked weird. But with VGS, now there nothing really bothered me, except that my p200 had troubles running it decently

Quote:
There were moments, my friend, there were moments...
Yes i clearly remember one scene inside the school...
Spoiler:
...where you see something shaking one of the cabinet drawers, you open it... nothing, you turn to walk away, camera changes and the corpse falls out of the opposit cabinet... i think that's the only time i jumped out of my chair while playing a game.... ever

Plus the sound of the radio... when you just get in that "Ready to kill something" mode, and waiting from which side of the fog will the damn mutant dog/bird come out. Nothing quite like it I barely touched fire weapons... i just ran around with an axe

Trep have you got around to try SH3 yet? i'm expecting my DVD in next few days, and since i remember your posts from the days of " SH2 flashlight problems" i was just wondering, any tehnical problems with this one?
And how would you rate SH3? Better same or worse compared to SH2? I already know, that nothing can top SH1
Old 02-15-2004, 06:24 PM   #26
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooFX
Yes i clearly remember one scene inside the school...
But I'm sure you haven't forgotten...

Spoiler:
...the second floor bathroom in the school where you entered and found nothing, but when you're about to leave a dismebodied sobbing from a little girl slashes through the still air!! My heart just about shot out my mouth!

Quote:
Trep have you got around to try SH3 yet? i'm expecting my DVD in next few days, and since i remember your posts from the days of " SH2 flashlight problems" i was just wondering, any tehnical problems with this one?
And how would you rate SH3? Better same or worse compared to SH2? I already know, that nothing can top SH1
I don't yet have it, no. I've only played the demo, and I can tell you the graphics are even more luridly rich than SH2. The cinematic depth-of-focus is interesting as well, the characters look even more eerily lifelike, down to their individual freckles. I plan on ordering it once I have more money on the side.

But yeah, even after playing SH3 I'll still probably insist that SH1 trumps both it and SH2.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:40 PM   #27
Grumpy & bitter man

Quote:
But I'm sure you haven't forgotten...
Ahhh yes, the memories... damn i wish i could find some spare time to dive into it again. By the time i acutally find it, i'm affraid it will be too dangerous for my health to play these kind of games anymore My heart might just fail me right in the middle of the game
Old 02-15-2004, 06:44 PM   #28
merely human

And also you have to remember...

Spoiler:
...those two rooms in the basement of Alchemilla Hospital. One had nothing but scrawled graffiti on all four walls, the other was empty and just as you get used to it....*CRASH*....a violent sound!

Okay, no more of this. I mean, I need to sleep soundly tonight, okay?
Old 02-15-2004, 06:51 PM   #29
Grumpy & bitter man

Quote:
And also you have to remember...

Spoiler:
...those two rooms in the basement of Alchemilla Hospital. One had nothing but scrawled graffiti on all four walls, the other was empty and just as you get used to it....*CRASH*....a violent sound!

Okay, no more of this. I mean, I need to sleep soundly tonight, okay?
Nighty Night... BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

It's almost 4 AM here... i better get some sleep. i better take my faithful axe with me tonight, too. i suggest you do the same
Old 02-15-2004, 06:55 PM   #30
merely human

'kay. Good night. And I won't need the axe, I already have my sexy little chainsaw to keep me warm. Had to banish the katana to the closet, though, she's a bit to, um....sharp, for my taste.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:00 PM   #31
Grumpy & bitter man

well i was planning to write to take your weapon of choice, but then ended up not writing it Blame it on the late/early hour
Old 02-16-2004, 12:51 AM   #32
Ged Psyched?

So there's hacked emulator and pirated iso inside? OMG, that's is so lame.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:02 AM   #33
Grumpy & bitter man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HempKnight
So there's hacked emulator and pirated iso inside? OMG, that's is so lame.
Yes, that's the way it is. And yes, it's lame.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:48 AM   #34

Default Silent hill PC

I only want to know if the PC game runs at normal speed or of ot does glitches as it does usually with an emulator.

My main problem is that a simply emulated version makes my pc to run really faster and it glitches the sound.

My pc is p4 3000mhz and gf 4 ti 4200. That makes me a problem for emulation...

Can anyone tell me how the PC game works (speed, glitches...)? Thanks

Last edited by Clandestino; 02-16-2004 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:16 AM   #35
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clandestino
Can anyone tell me how the PC game works (speed, glitches...)? Thanks
I've tried it a bit now and indeed the sound is not very good and there are glitches (with sound).

Old 02-16-2004, 12:21 PM   #36
merely human

Okay, waaaaaaay too high maintenance!! Sex this excrement! I've got my original Silent Hill, my old PS1, and a basic television set. You guys go bust your PCs over this, I'll be in the alternate world amusement park running from nasty beasties with Harry Mason by the time you figure things out.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:14 PM   #37
Umbilicus Mundi

Yeah, it seems like it would play a lot better on a console. Better suited for gamepad too. The game seems good though. Too bad I sold my PS2 (a year ago already I think).

Old 02-16-2004, 05:51 PM   #38
Grumpy & bitter man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki
Yeah, it seems like it would play a lot better on a console.
As i stated earlier, VGS runs it without any problems, although i haven't tried it on my new machine, only on old p200 with 32MB of RAM, where i even finished it.

The key of running SH smoothly on ePSXe is right configuration...choosing right plugins, GFX settings, etc...
Old 02-18-2004, 08:26 AM   #39

Konami should hide SH1 in the upcoming version of SH4: The Room for all the systems.

That'd be cool.

SH1 for PSX is a classic -- I have it and loved it.

Hey, for all of you that don't own the original PSX, can't you play SH1 on PS2, since it's backward-compatible w/ PSX?
Old 02-18-2004, 08:49 AM   #40
Jumping peanut on a stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterD
Hey, for all of you that don't own the original PSX, can't you play SH1 on PS2, since it's backward-compatible w/ PSX?
Yes, but i can't find the game anywhere (and i'm still a bit paranoiac about shoping over internet). I have SH1 for emulator, but playing SH games on computer just isn't the same as playing them on big screen