You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Do you use walktroughs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2003, 08:05 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to I Love Cookiemonster
Default Do you use walktroughs?

When you get really stuck do you use walktroughes or maybe even cheats?
Old 09-21-2003, 08:09 PM   #2
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Never cheats (not that there even are any for adventure games), but I do use a walkthrough on rare occasion, and I always feel bad about it afterwards (unlike Tamz, for example, who has no such guilt). I remember playing FOA in 92 with my best friend, before we had the internet or the money to buy strategy guides, and it took us bloody months upon months upon months. When we finally completed it, however, we thought we were friggin geniuses. That's probably the most satisfied I've ever been at completing an adventure. Now I'm either stupider or just have less willpower...

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-21-2003, 08:40 PM   #3
merely human

I rarely, rarely ever use walkthroughs or cheats for non-adventure games. I once bought the Prima guide to Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation and used it to finish the last 3/4 of the game, pretty much because I got bored with it and at least wanted to complete it. I used god mode for Return to Castle Wolfie in the final levels because I decided the story sucked, I didn't give a damn about the lifeless hero character, B.J. Blastmyasskovitz or whatever his name was, and though the game looked beautiful I lost any motivation to finish it so I just finished it 'illicitly' .
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-21-2003, 08:53 PM   #4
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

I have no other option but to use all options availible, but I'm carefull not to spoil the game...
The Universal Hint System is good for playing adventure game with spoiling them...
Sigh.. I have so little time, I have to play with the GBA will I browse the internet and eat lunch, I ALWAYS multitask...
I think some adventure games have Action Replay/Gameshark codes but that is stupid, its no fun starting an adventure with a full inventory!
Old 09-21-2003, 08:53 PM   #5
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Never use cheats or walkthroughs in non-adventure games.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:58 PM   #6
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Same as bigjko, really. I rarely use walkthroughs in adventure games, and never in other types of games.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:30 PM   #7
Under pressure.

There are games that are even hard to finish WITH a walkthrough. I can't remember what game it was, but I arrived at some kind of puzzle and I had to read THREE walkthroughs before I figured out how to solve it.

The writers of these walkthroughs obviously had troubles with that puzzle too, since they couldn't clearly explain how to solve it.

--Erwin
Old 09-21-2003, 10:29 PM   #8
Doctor Watson

I've ruined many fine games by consulting the walkthru all the time. Perhaps it's because of my experiences with the Curse of Monkey Island. It took my brother (who is a genius) and me (about) six months to finish! (Or was it three? A long time, anyway). We were stuck in some scenes for ages. Sometimes I can still hear Guybrush repeat over and over: "Puhleeze, can I join your show?"

It's irritating.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
(unlike Tamz, for example, who has no such guilt).

I do use walkthroughs most of the time for adventure games though .. lots of the time, the solution is obscure, there's nothing else to do except solve it, and it's bloody frustrating if you *don't* .. so I prefer to just cheat through and enjoy the story, that's what I play adventures for, anyway. That said, there are a few adventure games that haven't made me utterly impatient and which I've solved myself (they have to be very, very logical though .. not easy, but logical .. I'll easily get pissed off if I'm stuck forever with not the slightest clue, and I don't play games to get frustrated). I must say the satisfaction is amazing. The one puzzle I had the most fun solving, definitely, was the talking-to-the-monkey one in Road to India. Unobvious enough to make you feel clever to have got the idea, but logical and easy to work out once you've grasped what to do.

I don't use walkthroughs for non-adventure games; occasionally use hints on fight strategy when I find myself repeatedly dying and I'm scared, though
Old 09-21-2003, 11:30 PM   #10

Hi,

I used walkthrought one or twice, i don't like using them, because when finding what you need, you're reading things that u wasn't suppose and at the end you have more that you ask for.

BigJim
Old 09-21-2003, 11:42 PM   #11

Send a message via ICQ to The Poisoned Pawn Send a message via AIM to The Poisoned Pawn Send a message via MSN to The Poisoned Pawn Send a message via Yahoo to The Poisoned Pawn

I used to use walkthroughs and cheats all the time. Then I realized games were more fun when you didn't
Old 09-22-2003, 02:27 AM   #12
The TitleLess

Yes, I do, but not without feeling appropriately guilty afterwards

Don't have too much time to play games, and so when I do, I tend to do so in just a coupla sittings. If I go too long without being able to advance the story, it becomes more frustrating, and less enjoyable.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:09 AM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to Firefoot Send a message via MSN to Firefoot

I don't read walkthroughs... I just peek in them if I'm really really stuck and really can't think of anything to come up with... Just the urge to continue after hours of trying...

Emma is unbeatable, but here are My DVD's...
Old 09-22-2003, 05:50 AM   #14
Under pressure.

I never feel guilty afterwards for using walkthroughs. Mostly I just think: 'How the [censored] could the designer of this game come up with such a illogical, boring and annoying puzzle!?'

Then I try to continue the game without looking at the walkthrough. But the more you use it, the quicker you start resorting to it again. That's the only disadvantage.

--Erwin
Old 09-22-2003, 06:33 AM   #15
Liver of Life

Although I never use cheats (that just ruins everything) I do find myself going to a walkthrough sometimes when playing an adventure game.

Some puzzles are just too obscure for me to figure out and most games don't do a good job of putting you in the character's shoes, giving you no idea as to what you might or should be doing.

But yes, using a walkthrough diminishes satisfaction and that's part of the reason why I love MI1 cuz I never had to use a walkthrough
Old 09-22-2003, 08:05 AM   #16
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

I cheat and walk myself through games only when the game is too damn hard and there are some incentives (e.g. story) for continuing to play.

One of the rare adventure games that I used a walk-through on is Beneath a Steel Sky - and that is because I found the story/puzzles really tedious and wanted to see if it will ever get better...
Old 09-23-2003, 03:47 AM   #17
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Hmm, years ago I used frequently cheats in some non-adventuregames.

I have peeked on walkthroughs for adventuregames only when I have been stuck on some scene for months.

But I've learned that the fun truly is not there when I use walkthroughs.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:52 AM   #18
Cognitive Dissonant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
...One of the rare adventure games that I used a walk-through on is Beneath a Steel Sky - and that is because I found the story/puzzles really tedious and wanted to see if it will ever get better...
Did it ever get better, or just more tedious? The thought of having to tell a robot to do something, and then wait for it to accomplish what you ask, does seem tedious - if in fact that is an element of game play. I have yet to play BASS.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:56 AM   #19

I never use cheats.
As for walkthroughs... yes I refered to them in a couple of games like GK 3 for example.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:22 AM   #20
Prove it all night

Send a message via MSN to James

I did when I was younger, now I try and avoid them. Gaming longevity!!
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - Thomas Edward Lawrence