You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2007, 05:53 AM   #1

Default Gamecube games

Just got a Wii, and being my first Nintendo console (except the DS), I'm trying to dig out the best Gamecube games.

Right now I only have Eternal Darkness.
I'll probably get:
Zelda: The Wind Waker
Metroid Prime (although I usually hate FPS controls on consoles)
Mario Sunshine
Paper Mario (If I can find a PAL version cheap...)
Maybe Pikmin

Other recommendations?
Smash Brothers should be good but with a online wii version coming there's no point.
Are there any good RPGs? (Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symponhia?)
Also, is Starfox Adventures good? Just got Starfox: Lylat Wars on Virtual Console and it's really good

Thanks
Old 06-15-2007, 07:48 AM   #2

Starfox Adventures is okay but a bit predictable and generally bland (it's more of a zelda type game) but might be worth trying at the really cheap price you'll be able to find it at now. It only has a small amount of shooting sequences so you will be better sticking with the Virtual Console.

There aren't a lot of RPGs but Baten Kaitos is quite good (the sequel Baten Kaitos Origins is meant to be better but I've not played it) and Paper Mario is excellent. Skies of Arcadia is very good but getting hard to track down and is an enhanced version of the Dreamcast version. The only other RPGs of note are Pokemon Colleseum and XD which are decent but not as good as the GameBoy games. I've not played Tales of Symphonia or Fire Emblem, although the latter is meant to be very good.

Games I would recommend:

Chibi Robo
Pikmin 1 and 2
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
Donkey Konga 1 and 2 (if you can get hold of some bongos)
Animal Crossing
Paper Mario
Sonic Mega Collection
Ribbit King
Star Wars Rogue Leader
Burnout 2: Point of Impact
Beyond Good and Evil
Super Monkey Ball
Old 06-15-2007, 07:50 AM   #3

You might be able to find the Zelda's Collectors disc as well- that has Zelda 1 and 2, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask and will save you having to purchase them on Virtual Console.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:25 AM   #4
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

Tales of Symphonia is great. It's typical classic japanese RPG, like Final Fantasy. Superb graphics. You should also get Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes (same game as the first Metal Gear Solid for PS1)
Old 06-15-2007, 02:24 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Resident Evil 1 remake was the reason I bought GameCube and I do not regret it.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:06 AM   #6
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of Metroid Prime and its sequel Echoes. Get those. (Be warned, though, that I'm not a FPS fan so I probably have radically different tastes than yours.) I second Chibi Robo and Pikmin (though not Pikmin 2, which was not good), as well as (obviously) Beyond Good & Evil, which is not exclusively a Gamecube game. Super Mario Sunshine is redundant if you can get Super Mario 64 instead (from the Virtual Console), which is a much better game. That said, it's not bad. Similarly, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is an excellent choice but not in the same league as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time which is available on the VC. (The one major advantage TWW has is that it's designed for the GCN controller; OoT is sometimes a bit awkward to play with it.) My advice would be to get OoT first, and if you like it get its Gamecube sequel(s). Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is hugely entertaining from start to finish (and it's not particularly short). If you like the kind of game that demands a tremendous amount of time and effort (regardless of whether or not you're a fan of racing games in particular), then F-Zero GX is a must-have. If that sort of thing bothers you, then avoid avoid avoid. Animal Crossing is good, but if you're interested you're probably better off waiting for the inevitable Wii version. Super Smash Bros: Melee is good if and only if you've got someone to play with, but again you're better off waiting for the Wii game. Finally, if you're looking for a fun action game you can't do better than Resident Evil 4.

(I'd also highly recommend Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat, but it's relatively expensive considering you need the drum controller to play it.)
Old 06-17-2007, 11:21 AM   #7
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Fire Emblem & Eternal Darkness.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 06-17-2007, 12:17 PM   #8
Look behind you!

Buy Resident Evil 4. Im serious. How come no one said this one yet? Its sick.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:04 AM   #9
is not wierd

Basically everything here:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/772/772300p2.html
Old 06-18-2007, 08:24 AM   #10

Thanks!

I already played Beyond Good and Evil and Resident Evil 4 on the PS2. Fantastic games! maybe I'll get RE4 again for the Wii

One weird thing is that a lot of Gamecube PAL releases (even used games) are incredibly expensive. Specially all the RPGs and Resident Evil remakes.

I think I'll start with Pikmin, Metroid and Rogue Leader (never knew of this good Star Wars game). I'm already playing Twilight Princess, so for now one Zelda should be enough. Chibi Robo looks interesting and original, so I'll look for it.

Donkey Konga also looks original but I have no idea where to get the bongos...

Anyone played Odama? The weird pinball wargame voice command game?
Old 06-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #11
One for the road?

Off the top of my head...

Resident Evil Zero
Resident Evil
Killer 7
PN03
Freedom Fighters
Hitman 2
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
Doshin the Giant

Ikaruga (PAL version extremely rare)
Skies of Arcadia: Legends
Soul Calibur 2
Viewtiful Joe 1+2
TimeSplitters 2

Odama is pretty bad, and Mario Sunshine is a little overrated. I'd also advise tracking down a Wavebird controller, which is compatible with the Wii (I use one).
Old 06-19-2007, 08:25 AM   #12
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post
Donkey Konga also looks original but I have no idea where to get the bongos...
Don't confuse Donkey Konga with Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat. The former is a rhythm game which I've heard to be good, and the latter is a very original platformer. I just figure you're getting them mixed up because there's nothing particularly original about a rhythm game with a bundled controller. Anyway, they both use the drums.

Quote:
Anyone played Odama? The weird pinball wargame voice command game?
It is, as you say, a weird pinball wargame voice command game. There's not much to it. I was intrigued by the concept and was pretty patient with it, but after a while I just didn't see why I was playing it. The controls are pretty awkward, the goals consistently too difficult, and the save system archaic. Or put more simply: it's very arcade-y. It's not worth playing for longer than you'd play an old-school arcade game. For what it's worth, though, the strategy-pinball combination does work.

Are there any particular types of games you're looking for?
Old 06-19-2007, 10:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Don't confuse Donkey Konga with Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat. The former is a rhythm game which I've heard to be good, and the latter is a very original platformer. I just figure you're getting them mixed up because there's nothing particularly original about a rhythm game with a bundled controller. Anyway, they both use the drums.

Are there any particular types of games you're looking for?
I'm mostly looking for some good original exclusive games (except racing and sports, that I usually dislike) , most of the multiplatform releases I've already played on the PS2.

Oh, and thanks, I thought that Donkey Konga and Jungle Beat were the same game... Rhythm games is other genre I'm not really fond of (except Elite Beat Agents!)