You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General A good egg! (the Dizzy games)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2004, 07:45 PM   #1
Part time writer for hire

Send a message via AIM to redhotray Send a message via MSN to redhotray Send a message via Yahoo to redhotray
Default A good egg!

Lately, I've been going a bit retro with my gaming choice. I've been visiting, that site which must not be named quite frequently and have picked up a few games I was playing when I was younger on my Amiga. Games like Robocod, Eye of Horus, Elvira, Batman the Caped Crusader (another cool action/adventure game). I've really, really been enjoying the experience.

However, there is one set of games that truly stands the test of time for me, above all others, and that is the Dizzy games! You remember those golden oldies from Codemasters?! I've been reliving the adventures of the World's most famous egg, and it's been a blast. I consider them all adventure games (aside from Fast Food, Bubble and Kwik Snax), as you have to solve problems, in order to progress in the game, and then get to the games end, where you whoop Zaks ass!

Does anyone else remember these games? I remember I'd spend ages playing these games, but get so frustrated because I'd be close to the end and I'd lose all my lives and have to start again.

I've visited a few Dizzy communities as I've been going along my internet travels, and there are people petitioning to get Dizzy out on modern day platforms. I'd LOVE to see Dizzy 3D, that would rock totally, and IMO - if done right, could do really well in today's market. A 3D Platformer/puzzle game hybrid. The Oliver Twins had the right mix with Dizzy, that would work out right, even today I feel.

Anyway, I figured I'd share my past time gaming habits of late, and wondered whether I was alone in my sad, oldy worldy ways.

I've missed these games though. They were the defining moments of my childhood.

Aaaah, sweet memories.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:28 AM   #2
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I've moved this to general gaming since I don't think the Dizzy games are widely considered to be adventure games, though you could probably argue against that. I only played the "Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy" and it was quite nice at the time
Old 02-08-2004, 03:34 AM   #3

Eye of Horus was a cool game! So what site was that?
Old 02-08-2004, 05:19 AM   #4
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I only had Treasure Island Dizzy.

But I remember lots of classic Amiga & C64 games I played all day long.

Just yesterday I refreshened my memory about C64 by downloading lots of Sid music from lemon64.com.

damn, I wish I had never selled my Amiga in the early 90's.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:20 AM   #5
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

The dizzy games are quite good, yes. But I prefer the Monty games (Monty on the run and Auf Wiedersehen Monty. Spindizzy is also a very nice game. Oh, there are lots more good ol' games. Why don't they make games like that anymore?

Oh, and so just happens that I'm listening to the Monty on the run music right now.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 02-08-2004, 07:04 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to redhotray Send a message via MSN to redhotray Send a message via Yahoo to redhotray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
The dizzy games are quite good, yes. But I prefer the Monty games (Monty on the run and Auf Wiedersehen Monty. Spindizzy is also a very nice game. Oh, there are lots more good ol' games. Why don't they make games like that anymore?

Oh, and so just happens that I'm listening to the Monty on the run music right now.
MONTY ON THE RUN!!!!!!!! That was the name of the other game I was after, but I couldn't remember it. You rule my friend!!! ***three pats on the back***.

The dizzy community site (Yolkfolk) rests here - http://www.yolkfolk.com/

Let's make Dizzy 3D happen!!

Marek, I would say these games were action/adventure. They were ALL about puzzle solving, and although there were some action sequences in there, to me, the game was generally about using your head. You should scout out Treasure Island Dizzy (My personal favorite), Fantasy World Dizzy (The one everyone remembers) and Magicland Dizzy. Those three were the absolute best games! Keep your eyes peeled for em.

I loved Eye of Horus. Other games I used to adore on my Amiga were Wrath of the Demon (even though the game was 10 disks plus, and since I didn't have a hard drive, I had to keep swapping them over. I had loads of patience in those days.), all the Hannah Barbara games (They rocked!), Monkey Island 1 & 2 (*sigh*), James Pond and the Turricans!!!

I'm sold. I'm gonna have to buy an Amiga on Ebay, and buy those old games again. I miss playing them more than the modern day market ones - *L*
Old 02-08-2004, 10:24 AM   #7
The Reggienator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotray
I loved Eye of Horus. Other games I used to adore on my Amiga were Wrath of the Demon (even though the game was 10 disks plus, and since I didn't have a hard drive, I had to keep swapping them over. I had loads of patience in those days.), all the Hannah Barbara games (They rocked!), Monkey Island 1 & 2 (*sigh*), James Pond and the Turricans!!!

I'm sold. I'm gonna have to buy an Amiga on Ebay, and buy those old games again. I miss playing them more than the modern day market ones - *L*
Turrican 2 is one of the greatest games I have ever played, Chris Hülsbeck's music in that game is just perfect.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:39 PM   #8
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I played a Dizzy game on the NES, and I really liked it. I'd probably classify it was an adventure. It reminded me a lot like another game I played on the Sega, Cosmic Spacehead.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 02-08-2004, 12:45 PM   #9
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Never considered Dizzy as an adventure game, since it involved a lot of hard jump puzzles and a fair bit of action, but an action/adventure it indeed is. And yeah, a new Dizzy game would rock, but why not just keep it 2D? Does the game design demand 3D? IMO, developers are too quick at jumping in to the 3D boat. Sure, 3D is mainstream today, but imagine how fresh a high-res sprite 2D game, ala Jazz Jackrabbit 2, revolving around an egg would be at these 3D-saturated times? But hell, if 3D is what it takes to get a new Dizzy out, then so be it..
Old 02-08-2004, 01:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko
Never considered Dizzy as an adventure game, since it involved a lot of hard jump puzzles and a fair bit of action, but an action/adventure it indeed is. And yeah, a new Dizzy game would rock, but why not just keep it 2D? Does the game design demand 3D? IMO, developers are too quick at jumping in to the 3D boat. Sure, 3D is mainstream today, but imagine how fresh a high-res sprite 2D game, ala Jazz Jackrabbit 2, revolving around an egg would be at these 3D-saturated times? But hell, if 3D is what it takes to get a new Dizzy out, then so be it..
Hey dude, I'm with you on that note! I agree that it would be fresh to see some 2D games on the market these days. The problem is, people would take one look at the graphics on the back of the box, think it was dated and put it back on the shelf. I don't think the 2D fighters available at the moment did so well on the market (I:E Marvel vs Capcom and the uber updated street fighters).

However, I am intrigued as to how a 3D Dizzy game would come across and play. Personally, I think it'd work rather well! Apparently, I read on one of the fansites, that the Oliver Twins (Dizzy creators) and their present company actually created a short 3D montage of what Dizzy would look like in that environment. Codemasters approved them doing this as well.

Right now, Codemasters could do with a change of fortune, and since they seem adamant on basing all of their games on sports, then perhaps they should look into other genres, in order to start making a profit, as opposed to losing money. God knows, back in the day, Nintendo had Mario, Sega had Sonic, and all hardware based systems had Dizzy the egg (He was that successful!).

I also had Cosmic Spacehead, which I thought was a great game as well! If nobody has tried any of the games mentioned in this thread, head over to that website which cats stay away from, and pick them up!

Really good quality stuff! . Even if some of it does look a little dated.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:58 PM   #11
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Sorry, I have to ask: was there actually an Amiga game called "Robocod"?? Or did you mean Robocop? Because... Robocod? ... As in the type of fish? That would be excellent.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 02-08-2004, 03:08 PM   #12

The Dizzy games kick ass... I don't think they should remake them.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Sorry, I have to ask: was there actually an Amiga game called "Robocod"?? Or did you mean Robocop? Because... Robocod? ... As in the type of fish? That would be excellent.
There was a game called Robocod, and it was the sequal to James Pond! if you've never played it, it's an absolute classic and you should seriously search it out.

It's arguably one of the best platformers on the Amiga, if not of all time.

A game done in very good taste.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:55 PM   #14
The Reggienator

Quote:
There was a game called Robocod, and it was the sequal to James Pond! if you've never played it, it's an absolute classic and you should seriously search it out.

It truly was one the best platformers of all time, here's a link for it on mobygames.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/p,2/gameId,581/

It had the christmas spirit in it

Old 02-09-2004, 02:57 PM   #15

Quote:

Weren't James Pond and Robocod also put out for the Sega Genesis. I think I had one of the two but can't remember which.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerz
Weren't James Pond and Robocod also put out for the Sega Genesis. I think I had one of the two but can't remember which.
Yea they both were out on Genesis, and I'm sure Robocod was out on the Gamegear and the SNES (It's getting a remake for the GBA as well, last I heard), and they also released James Pond 3, which was good, but not great. There was also Aquatic Games, but that was just sheer button mashing mayhem - LOL.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:21 PM   #17
The Reggienator

Quote:
Yea they both were out on Genesis, and I'm sure Robocod was out on the Gamegear and the SNES (It's getting a remake for the GBA as well, last I heard)
wow, I'd like to see it when it gets released on GBA, it's going to be great then.

Maybe someday we'll see Turrican 1&2 on GBA

James Pond 2 Robocod was also out on Commodore 64