Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Recommend me a PS2 game :-) (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/19931-recommend-me-ps2-game.html)

MdaG 05-30-2007 09:53 AM

Recommend me a PS2 game :-)

I just bought a Playstation 2 along with Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, FFX & FFX-2. Any more games I should look into ?

SoccerDude28 05-30-2007 10:36 AM

God of War 2 (proably the best game I've played last generation)
Metal Gear Solid 1-3
Ratchet and Clank 1-3
Jak and Daxter 1-3
Sly Cooper and the Thievious Raccoonus 1-3
Okami
Dragon Quest 8
Devil May Cry 1 and 3 (forget 2)
Guitar Hero
Kya Dark Lineage

Spiwak 05-30-2007 10:43 AM

Also, Final Fantasy XII
GTA III, VC, SA
GH2 (obviously)
*Rez
*Gitaroo Man
Bully

* denotes a game that's hard to find

CrimsonBlue 05-30-2007 11:34 AM

There's a few less obvious ones, and a couple of them may be hard to get, but it's well worth it.

The Mark of Kri - wonderful samurai game with lots of stealth, much better than Tenchu, imo.
Rise of the Kasai - sequel to The Mark of Kri, never tried it, but I'm not sure if it was released in PAL regions.
Rumble Racing - fantastic launch window racing. Think Daytona with weapons. One of my favourite racing games on the PS2, and unfortunately completely forgotten. I LOVE IT!
Shadow of Memories - obviously, unless you've already played it on PC or Xbox. Great adventure game with a twist.
Katarami Damacy (or We Love Katamari) - strange, but very addictive.
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X - previously released on Dreamcast only, but now also on PS2 and Gamecube. Must have if you like the classic Resident Evil series.
Silent Hill 2 - The best of the PS2 generation titles.

Can't think of any more right now, but I know there are plenty. Oh, and Tomb Raider Anniversary is out soon on PS2.

MdaG 05-30-2007 12:32 PM

Thanks for the pointers! :)
I've already played Silent Hill 2 and Shadow of memories on my PC, but I'll look into the other games. Also what game is "GH2" ?

SoccerDude28 05-30-2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MdaG (Post 415190)
Thanks for the pointers! :)
I've already played Silent Hill 2 and Shadow of memories on my PC, but I'll look into the other games. Also what game is "GH2" ?

Guitar Hero 2

Jadefalcon 05-30-2007 03:55 PM

Canis Canem Edit AKA Bully
The Warriors
Mercenaries
Arc:Twilight of the Spirits
Star Ocean 3
Grandia 2 (If you can get it)

sand maester 05-30-2007 04:29 PM

Okami and Shadow of the Colossus are both really good games. Also try Metal Gear Solid 2: sons of liberty.

Julio Hyksos 05-30-2007 08:07 PM

Psychonauts! (If you haven't already played it on PC or Xbox...)

Spiwak 05-30-2007 09:13 PM

I'm assuming he wanted exclusives, but yea.

MdaG 05-31-2007 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiwak (Post 415275)
I'm assuming he wanted exclusives, but yea.

Yes, but I don't mind. ;)
I'm guessing the 360 version of Guitar hero 2 is better than the PS2 one so if I get it I'll probably get it for that.

VictimOfScience 06-01-2007 11:29 AM

ODIN SPHERE!!! Get it now!!!

Not to mention pretty much everything people have mentioned above.

JemyM 06-01-2007 01:22 PM

Fatal Frame / Project Zero 1-3 if you like horror. Skip them if you do not. :)

Hammerite 06-01-2007 01:29 PM

a little off-topic, but is MGS2 any good?
what's the difference between sons of liberty and substance?
and do i need to have played MGS1 beforehand?
thanks!

SoccerDude28 06-01-2007 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerite (Post 415724)
thanks!

MGS2 is pretty good but the story is the wackiest I have ever encountered in video game history. It made my head hurt for days :D I think it would be better if you play MGS1 beforehand, since some of the characters appear in the second one.

CrimsonBlue 06-02-2007 12:29 AM

MGS2 has a fantastic story, but the problem lies in its presentation. It's made more complicated than it really is, so it confuses the hell out of you if you don't pay attention. Substance is just a re-release with extra stuff, like VR missions and such, but the main game is untouched.

It's best to have played MGS1 beforehand, but I don't think it's really necessary. Story-wise, you'll have a better basis when you start playing MGS1.

JemyM 06-02-2007 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerite (Post 415724)
thanks!

I did not play theese games until the beginning of 2007. I had promised myself to check them out, and I did. The result was the entire reason i bought my first console just to play MGS3 and I will get a PS3 just to play MGS4.

The Metal Gear Solid series frankly carries some of the best game storylines of all time, leaving even the better adventuregames to shame. It's a game frequently popping up at "best game ever made" lists and it's on my top five best gameseries ever played, which is odd for a game that is 10 years old... so it's definitely not nostalgia that makes me praise the game.

It's a story that makes you cry and rethink your life.

To get the most out of the story I say you should definitely play the game in order:
1. Metal Gear*
2. Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake*
3. Metal Gear Solid**
4. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty***
5. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater*
6. Metal Gear Solid 4: Gunts of the Patriots (soon to be released)

The later games frequently refers back to the prequels. The story of the first two plays a great role for the Solid series. Metal Gear 1 is a bit aged now but can be quickly finished with a walkthrough. Metal Gear 2 have a story you will find unique for a game of such age. Metal Gear Solid is the best and most important of the series. Metal Gear Solid 2 is not a perfect ten, maybe a 9,5... but it still holds up on it's own against most games on the market.

* Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence contains all theese three games on the same DVD. Without Subsistence you need to use BlueMSX and chase down the fantranslation of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. Use emulators with the save state function if you just wish to get through the first ones quickly.

** Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes is a remake of MGS only released on GameCube, featuring better graphics. Many fans consider the Playstation version to be better though.

*** Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance is an enhanced version of MGS2, but the extras arent that important if you just wish to play the actual story still called Sons of Liberty.

Finally, Snakes Revenge on NES is not canon and can be forgotten. Hideo Kojima, the mastermind behind the other games, have nothing to do with that game.

MdaG 06-02-2007 12:44 PM

Just got Devil may cry 1 & 3 for €25. I think I'll stop here and actually play through the ones I got before going through the rest of your pointers ;)

marshal99 06-08-2007 01:42 AM

And nobody mentioned

Kingdom Hearts 1
and
Kingdom Hearts 2 so far ?

The famous voice actors for the games alone can make a movie - Haley Joel Osment , Hayden Panettiere (Claire from heroes) , Christopher Lee , David Boroneaz , James Woods and many more. ;)

JemyM 06-08-2007 01:51 AM

I bought most games on the list and I would have been playing them now, but my Playstation 2 broke. :(