Recommend me a PS2 game :-) - Page 4 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Recommend me a PS2 game :-)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2007, 05:01 AM   #61

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is excellent on PS2, much moreso than on PC, though I wouldn't bother with the sequels. They sold out the style to depressed goths with violent tendencies.

I'll also second Okami and We Love Katamari, and Ico and Colossus of course, but you have those.

I never cared much for God of War... Too brutal for my tastes. I felt sorry for the monsters. Plus I didn't like the combat style - press X now to do a special cinematic move, etc.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:52 AM   #62
Master of time and space

Ok this is the current list.
  1. Ico
  2. Shadow of the Colossus
  3. Devil May Cry 3 - Special Edition
  4. Metal Gear Solid 2 - Sons of liberty
  5. God of War
  6. Final Fantasy X
  7. Final Fantasy X-2
  8. Star Ocean - Till the end of time
  9. Dragon Quest - Curse of the king
  10. Beyond Good and Evil
  11. Resident Evil - Codename Veronica
  12. The Thing

I think I can safely postpone buying a PS3 since these together with the upcoming PS2-games I'm looking at will keep me busy for months .
Old 06-24-2007, 06:35 PM   #63

Get the PS1 Lunar series - Lunar : Silver star story & Lunar : Eternal blue , in-play graphics are a bit dated but look past that , the voice acting , music , story & numerous anime cutscenes are really awesome , really funny game as well. The characters are pretty adorable and it's certainly one of my favorite RPG from PS1 and i couldn't recommend it highly enough. It's very underrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEIURTJKek0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVuZaaOZ_eY
Old 06-25-2007, 02:16 AM   #64

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
Surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is excellent on PS2, much moreso than on PC, though I wouldn't bother with the sequels. They sold out the style to depressed goths with violent tendencies.
Are you refering to the trend of playing evil/villian/criminal?

It kinda worries me how popular such games seems to be nowdays. To me the "evil" protagonists in the games I seen appears more like irrational loosers to me than cool and exciting. Although im ok with the "ex-villian seeking redemption" or "tainted but good" plot. Kinda like the guy in Infernal, Vincent Valentine in Dirge of Cerberus, the protagonist in KOTOR, Baldur's Gate or Planescape Torment.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:19 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
I'm currently playing Final Fantasy X and while it certainly has gotten more interesting after the first blitzball game I have to say that all that repetitive combat is hampering my enjoyment of the game. In short story is good, but the combat could be toned down. I don't need ten random encounters getting from point A to point B. Even less so when ordinary non ninja guardians like my party can pass without harm .

Anyway I was wondering how Final Fantasy XII, Star Ocean - Til the end of Time and Dragon Quest - Journey of the cursed king hold up against it. Are they also plagued by (mostly) boring combat or is it implemented in a better way there?
I really agree with you... the random encounters are REALLY frustrating. In Final Fantasy 8 there seems to be special skills you can take to reduce the encounters though, down to zero. Seems to be a good thing to get as soon as possible. Im glad they did away with that crap in FFXII.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:33 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
Im glad they did away with that crap in FFXII.
Er, they didn't really take it away at all. You still have random encounters... only difference is you see them beforehand. And you can't remove it this time, there's no item where you can completely remove random encounters.

They did, however (imo), made the battles more fun.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:27 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue View Post
Er, they didn't really take it away at all. You still have random encounters... only difference is you see them beforehand. And you can't remove it this time, there's no item where you can completely remove random encounters.

They did, however (imo), made the battles more fun.
Ah... ohwell, I still have at least four very long RPG's to play through before touching FFXII though.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:57 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
Are you refering to the trend of playing evil/villian/criminal?
Well, playing an evil character or anti-hero, can be done well... with a sense of humour (Dungeon Keeper, GTA) or with a certain sense of subtlety (Max Payne, Vampire Bloodlines).

Not so much the case here, though.

Penny Arcade sums it up pretty nicely. What Ubisoft did was a completely cynical and cheap attempt at pandering to the *EXTREME* crowd while completely alienating their original fans in one fell and horribly misguided swoop.

It worked out for them financially but I wonder if in the land of hypothetical statistics they wouldn't have had the same kind of sales purely off of the good name of Sands of Time if they'd kept the integrity of the series...
Old 06-25-2007, 02:31 PM   #69

Not to mention how it have scared off potential buyers of the first game. I haven't really cared about the series since Sands of Time, but if they hadn't raped the series, maybe they'd still be on my list.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:36 PM   #70
Cheese Pants King

Send a message via Yahoo to Endosanity

The Thing is a good game, I actually prefer the PC version just because of the patches released to make the gameplay slightly more user friendly in heavy action. But still... a good game none the less.

You can totally pass on PS3 for now. I'm not a fanboy of any console but the PS3 just isn't looking too hot and this "Oh, great games are on the way... just give it time, you'll see" is starting to seem like an excuse. Remember the Sega Saturn? Supposedly more powerful than a Playstation but hard to program for and all the "You'll see great games in the future..." then it was totally dead in the water. The PS2 had a few good games in a little while but the PS3 has like... one, and it's almost been a year. Well, the battle of the consoles continues.

But, never know. I'm holding off on this next gen. phase but so far... I'm impartial to the Wii myself.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:31 AM   #71

I don't expect, I know things will pick up by fall. There are a lot of great games that I wouldn't want to be without, like Drake's Fortune and Metal Gear Solid 4, as well as probably the best version of PES 2008.

However, when you've missed so many great games due to never having a PS3, I can really only think of one reason to have a PS3 right now, and only if you have an LCD HDTV. Upscaled graphics for the PS1 and PS2 games. But then you also have to check the list of compatible games to see if the games you have now ARE compatible with the PS3. Oh, and blu-ray movies of course, if you want that.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:26 PM   #72

I will probably grab a PS3 for FFXIII, MGS4 and RE5. All three series I started to play during 2007
Old 06-27-2007, 07:23 PM   #73
is not wierd

RE5 is definitely coming to the 360, I thought...and I wouldn't be surprised if MGS4 is as well. If you don't wanna spend the little bit of extra cash for the PS3.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:01 AM   #74
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
RE5 is definitely coming to the 360, I thought...and I wouldn't be surprised if MGS4 is as well.
And perhaps even FFXIII.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:55 AM   #75
Master of time and space

Quote:
RE5 is definitely coming to the 360, I thought...and I wouldn't be surprised if MGS4 is as well. If you don't wanna spend the little bit of extra cash for the PS3.
If the PS3 is quiet I might even sell off my 360 and buy a PS3 instead...
Old 06-28-2007, 09:09 AM   #76
Master of time and space

Being 25h into Final Fantasy X I'm starting to think if I'll ever play another JRPG. And since I own Final Fantasy X-2, Dragon Quest - Journey of the cursed king and Star Ocean - Till the end of time I'm wondering how they compare to Final Fantasy X ? It's not that Final Fantasy X is bad, quite the contrary, but it is tedious getting through all those random encounters...
Old 06-28-2007, 09:54 AM   #77
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
Being 25h into Final Fantasy X I'm starting to think if I'll ever play another JRPG. And since I own Final Fantasy X-2, Dragon Quest - Journey of the cursed king and Star Ocean - Till the end of time I'm wondering how they compare to Final Fantasy X ? It's not that Final Fantasy X is bad, quite the contrary, but it is tedious getting through all those random encounters...
That's the problem with most JRPG's and the reason I have only tried a couple of them.

Are you into platformers at all? You really should consider the excellent Ratchet and Clank series.

Firefox rules
Old 06-28-2007, 10:08 AM   #78
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
That's the problem with most JRPG's and the reason I have only tried a couple of them.

Are you into platformers at all? You really should consider the excellent Ratchet and Clank series.
I don't mind platformers as long as they're well implemented. As long as the story is interesting and the controls are good I'm all for it.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:49 AM   #79

Quote:
They have even released a photo of the MGS4 DVD Box for XBox 360!

DVD Box
Old 07-01-2007, 11:24 PM   #80
Thats the ticket

One game thats underrated is Transformers. Not the new movie tie in but the older game developed by Melbourne House and distributed by Atari. I think it should be on budget but may be hard to track down.