Recommend me a PS2 game :-) - Page 3 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Recommend me a PS2 game :-)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2007, 03:34 PM   #41

Heh, very clean, I think I'm going to load up the PS1 version on my PS3 to see how well the upscaler works compared to your shots. Just give me a day.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:00 PM   #42
Cheese Pants King

Send a message via Yahoo to Endosanity

Resident Evil 4 - If you haven't played the Cube version, not much difference save for Ada's extra mission.

Siren and Haunting Ground... but only if you like slow-paced horror-themed games, otherwise pass. They both require alot of sneaking around, avoiding conflict if possible, and patience... which I'm pretty impatient but these games were decent enough that it worked for me.

Gran Turismo 3 & 4, that is... if you like racing games. Killer graphics for a PS2 games and runs super smooth. GT4 is almost too much... 650 cars to choose from? A bit of overkill but alot of fun to throw some classics on the track and try to win a world cup.

All the others have been mentioned already but lastly, Silent Hill 1 thru 4. These games are awesome and just plain creepy. Silent Hill 1 is a PS1 game but it runs on the PS2 just fine and it's still considered the best of the bunch, blocky graphics and all. You'll need a PS1 memory card though if you really wanna go that route.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #43
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endosanity View Post
Resident Evil 4 - If you haven't played the Cube version, not much difference save for Ada's extra mission.
I don't know, maybe it was just me, but wasen't the controller better for the Gamecube version?
Old 06-16-2007, 03:37 PM   #44
Cheese Pants King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isak View Post
I don't know, maybe it was just me, but wasen't the controller better for the Gamecube version?
Maybe it's just me, but they both had the same classic Resident Evil tank control scheme. I used the D-pad for both versions when I played though.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:52 PM   #45
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
I have been wondering about Dragon Quest 8. It looks interesting, but I hate to begin a series out of order. Can someone tell me about the history of the Dragon Quest series? Are the previous games any good? What format was they released on? When? Whats most important for me to know though is if DQ8 continues the story of the earlier games.
As far as Dragon Quest 8, I believe it is a standalone game, and you don't need to have played the prior ones to understand it. I finished it all, and I understood the whole story. One warning though. If you are going to do all the side quests, the game in HUGE. It took me about 100 hours of game play to finish. I don't think I will ever repeat that experience though with any game

Firefox rules
Old 06-16-2007, 11:03 PM   #46

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
As far as Dragon Quest 8, I believe it is a standalone game, and you don't need to have played the prior ones to understand it. I finished it all, and I understood the whole story. One warning though. If you are going to do all the side quests, the game in HUGE. It took me about 100 hours of game play to finish. I don't think I will ever repeat that experience though with any game
Ouch... I am starting to hate long games after playing Final Fantasy VII. I believe I have spent over two weeks straight with one single game, from morning to evening. I am a completist so I always do things properly.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:11 PM   #47

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endosanity View Post
Silent Hill 1 is a PS1 game but it runs on the PS2 just fine and it's still considered the best of the bunch, blocky graphics and all. You'll need a PS1 memory card though if you really wanna go that route.
Agreed. SH1 is very scary, despite the blocky graphics. I hated the school.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:07 AM   #48
Master of time and space

I played through Silent Hill 2 and found it very scary. There is however too much fighting for my taste and the puzzles didn't make any sense to me. They felt out of place just like the ones in Resident Evil 3. Resident Evil 3 had more enjoyable battles in my opinion, but the atmosphere in Silent Hill 2 way outshines Resident Evils'.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:17 AM   #49
Cheese Pants King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
I played through Silent Hill 2 and found it very scary. There is however too much fighting for my taste and the puzzles didn't make any sense to me. They felt out of place just like the ones in Resident Evil 3. Resident Evil 3 had more enjoyable battles in my opinion, but the atmosphere in Silent Hill 2 way outshines Resident Evils'.

I know what you mean. Like "So, I need to find 4 coins in different peoples' apartments to open this old rickety cabinet." Well, that makes things so much easier then say... smashing it and taking what's inside. Or for the Resident Evil games needing to find a special crystal in the forest to gain access to the police station instead of needing something more modern... like a key. Silly, I know, and I don't get it either but I tried not to dwell on it.

Last edited by Endosanity; 06-17-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:05 AM   #50

Silent Hill 1 reminds me of Stephen King's short story "The Mist" very much when i first played it .

If you want scary , try playing the fatal frames game in the middle of the night with all the lights turned off. Sure to bring a chill with all the apparitions and the sound effects.

If you like survivor horror , Parasite Eve 1 & 2 for PS1/PSX is pretty cool as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-Tcl6qvfy4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UpMBQZYw4w
Old 06-18-2007, 06:43 AM   #51

Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but.....Beyond Good and Evil!!
Old 06-18-2007, 04:08 PM   #52

Okami. Best game I've played in a long time, all platforms and genres included.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:56 AM   #53
Master of time and space

I've gone and purchased The Thing, Gran Turismo 3, Devil May Cry 1 & 3 and Metal Gear Solid 2. I'm currently auctioning out Gran Turismo 3 and Devil May Cry since they didn't fit my taste. GT3 wasn't really fun even in hotseat and Devil May Cry had too little story for my taste. Devil May Cry 3 on the other hand its good. On my "to get" list I have: Beyond Good and Evil, Okami, Odin Sphere, God of War 2 and maybe Metal Gear Solid 3 (if I like the second game).
Old 06-20-2007, 02:21 AM   #54
The Dude

Quote:
I've gone and purchased The Thing, Gran Turismo 3, Devil May Cry 1 & 3 and Metal Gear Solid 2. I'm currently auctioning out Gran Turismo 3 and Devil May Cry since they didn't fit my taste. GT3 wasn't really fun even in hotseat and Devil May Cry had too little story for my taste. Devil May Cry 3 on the other hand its good. On my "to get" list I have: Beyond Good and Evil, Okami, Odin Sphere, God of War 2 and maybe Metal Gear Solid 3 (if I like the second game).
Okami is on sale at Webhallen, only 249 kr. Link.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:51 AM   #55
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isak View Post
Okami is on sale at Webhallen, only 249 kr. Link.
Yeah, I know. I'm just waiting until I've actually played most of the games I've already got. I'm in the middle of a move right now as well.

Is Odin Sphere ever going to come out in Europe ?
Old 06-20-2007, 09:07 AM   #56

Should try some PS1/PS2 strategy games like Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1) , Brigandine (PS1) Disgaea (PS2) etc.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:13 AM   #57
The Dude

Quote:
Is Odin Sphere ever going to come out in Europe ?
No it's not planned at the moment, sadly. But if it sells well in the U.S it might get a release here.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:37 PM   #58
Master of time and space

I'm currently playing Final Fantasy X and while it certainly has gotten more interesting after the first blitzball game I have to say that all that repetitive combat is hampering my enjoyment of the game. In short story is good, but the combat could be toned down. I don't need ten random encounters getting from point A to point B. Even less so when ordinary non ninja guardians like my party can pass without harm .

Anyway I was wondering how Final Fantasy XII, Star Ocean - Til the end of Time and Dragon Quest - Journey of the cursed king hold up against it. Are they also plagued by (mostly) boring combat or is it implemented in a better way there?
Old 06-24-2007, 12:10 AM   #59
Master of time and space

Quote:
...Even less so when ordinary non ninja guardians like my party can pass without harm
Eh, reading that I don't understand myself... What I meant was that when ordinary people can walk roads unattacked, why can't I?
Old 06-24-2007, 02:06 AM   #60
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Anyway I was wondering how Final Fantasy XII, Star Ocean - Til the end of Time and Dragon Quest - Journey of the cursed king hold up against it. Are they also plagued by (mostly) boring combat or is it implemented in a better way there?
FFXII has no random encounters, so you can spot the mobs and go around them if you want to. Also, you have nifty gambit system that lets you script your chars' behaviour. Combat with standart mobs is therefore just a matter of walking towards them and waiting - can be boring in some places, but since the fights are way more fast-paced than in FFX it is still fun most of the time.