You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Recommend me a PS2 game :-)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2007, 12:03 AM   #21
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
I did not play theese games until the beginning of 2007. I had promised myself to check them out, and I did. The result was the entire reason i bought my first console just to play MGS3 and I will get a PS3 just to play MGS4.

The Metal Gear Solid series frankly carries some of the best game storylines of all time, leaving even the better adventuregames to shame. It's a game frequently popping up at "best game ever made" lists and it's on my top five best gameseries ever played, which is odd for a game that is 10 years old... so it's definitely not nostalgia that makes me praise the game.

It's a story that makes you cry and rethink your life.

To get the most out of the story I say you should definitely play the game in order:
1. Metal Gear*
2. Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake*
3. Metal Gear Solid**
4. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty***
5. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater*
6. Metal Gear Solid 4: Gunts of the Patriots (soon to be released)

The later games frequently refers back to the prequels. The story of the first two plays a great role for the Solid series. Metal Gear 1 is a bit aged now but can be quickly finished with a walkthrough. Metal Gear 2 have a story you will find unique for a game of such age. Metal Gear Solid is the best and most important of the series. Metal Gear Solid 2 is not a perfect ten, maybe a 9,5... but it still holds up on it's own against most games on the market.

* Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence contains all theese three games on the same DVD. Without Subsistence you need to use BlueMSX and chase down the fantranslation of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. Use emulators with the save state function if you just wish to get through the first ones quickly.

** Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes is a remake of MGS only released on GameCube, featuring better graphics. Many fans consider the Playstation version to be better though.

*** Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance is an enhanced version of MGS2, but the extras arent that important if you just wish to play the actual story still called Sons of Liberty.

Finally, Snakes Revenge on NES is not canon and can be forgotten. Hideo Kojima, the mastermind behind the other games, have nothing to do with that game.
Öhrm...? Is it enough to know that I need to get Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, 3 & 4 ?
I'm confused by the titles you listed.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:46 AM   #22
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
MGS is a PS1 title, although you can play it on the PS2 (if you manage to find a copy). Get MGS 2 Substance and MGS 3 Subsistence, those are PS2 versions of MGS 2 and MGS 3 with added extras. MGS 4 will be a PS3 game (and perhaps also on the 360 ).

The first two MGS games have also been released for the PC (the first one by Microsoft, of all publishers ), but know that the hardware acceleration mode of MGS 1 doesn't work on some (all?) NVIDIA cards.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:37 AM   #23

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
Here's the easiest thing you can do:

Grab theese three games from the store:
Metal Gear Solid for playstation
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance for playstation 2
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence for playstation 2

Here's the whole series again, in order:
1. Metal Gear (on the Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence DVD)
2. Metal Gear 2: Snake Eater (on the Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence DVD)
3. Metal Gear Solid
4. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (on the Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance DVD)
5. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (on the Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence DVD)

What might be confusing is that Metal Gear Solid is actually Metal Gear 3. Before Metal Gear Solid comes Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.

So before you play Metal Gear Solid you load your Metal Gear Solid 3: Substinence DVD. On that DVD is the games Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, along with Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. You can use that DVD to play Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Snake Eater, before you play Metal Gear Solid.

Metal Gear is old by todays standards, but the events in MG plays a great role in MG2. The events in MG2 then plays a large role in Metal Gear Solid 1-3 and also helps to explain some of Snake's reactions to events that happens in the solid series. An option if you do not wish to play the first two games seriously is to download the MSX version of Metal Gear fan translation and the Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake fan translation and then you play them on BlueMSX. Using BlueMSX's savestate function allow you to rush through both games quick and safe, giving you the story and spares you the frustration. The legal and moral issues with downloading and emulating 20 year old games are up to you. If you purchased Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence you already own the games legally. If you got any problems, just ask.

Finally, you can ignore Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes. It's a remake of Metal Gear Solid but the great story suffered by the remake.
Also ignore Snakes Revenge. It was a sequel to Metal Gear, made for NES, but was not designed by Hideo Kojima and is not a part of the canonical story.
As you might guess by now, you do not need to chase down Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater since you already have thoose games as long as you have Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance and Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence.

Last edited by JemyM; 06-09-2007 at 07:18 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:31 AM   #24
gin soaked boy

It just occurred to me that nobody suggested the PS2 Transformers game (the one published by Atari).
I heard it's really, really good.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:18 PM   #25
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

To the Swede dude that wanted Metal Gear Solid for PSX, you can get it from spelbutiken.se for 150 sek (used one).

Here's the link:
http://www.spelbutiken.se/php-bin/pr...sx712&active=2

The US version of the game only costs 50 sek!
Old 06-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #26
The Dude

Quote:
Here's the easiest thing you can do:
Finally, you can ignore Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes. It's a remake of Metal Gear Solid but the great story suffered by the remake.
What? NEJ för allt i världen. Buy the Twin Snakes version if you own a Gamecube, I can't see how the story suffers. It's exactly the same game but with updated graphics and controls (first person is avalible which is a big help if you choose to play with hard difficulty. Like I said, I can't see how the story suffers, I've played and finished both versions and I liked the Gamecube edition (Twin snakes) better because of the controls. And like Kojima said about Twin Snakes: How Metal Gear Solid was meant to be played.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:58 AM   #27

Well, some of the cutscenes are way over the top in many cases - even by Kojima standards. The music isn't exactly the same either - also better in the original. The original game was less stale and Twin Snakes felt like it was trying too hard to be a Metal Gear Solid game.

I prefer the original myself. Also, the new controls basically added nothing to the game, as it wasn't designed for the new controls. It was designed for the old - thus all the extra moves being somewhat redundant.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:44 AM   #28

I played the entire series earlier this year, for the first time, and I also played the PSX version of MGS. I just wanted to say that the reason I recommend the whole series is not due to nostalgia. The series are still some of the best games I ever played.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:16 AM   #29
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isak View Post
To the Swede dude that wanted Metal Gear Solid for PSX, you can get it from spelbutiken.se for 150 sek (used one).

Here's the link:
http://www.spelbutiken.se/php-bin/pr...sx712&active=2

The US version of the game only costs 50 sek!
That US version is only $7! Tell me about this site. Do they ship internationally? And for how much? Are these full, legit copies....used or new?
Old 06-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #30
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
The first two MGS games have also been released for the PC (the first one by Microsoft, of all publishers ), but know that the hardware acceleration mode of MGS 1 doesn't work on some (all?) NVIDIA cards.
And that MGS2 was the subject of a port that doesn't work on Windows XP SP2 or Vista. Konami basically knocked out something very quickly, which is a shame, since I never got to complete the game.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
And that MGS2 was the subject of a port that doesn't work on Windows XP SP2 or Vista. Konami basically knocked out something very quickly, which is a shame, since I never got to complete the game.
There is actually a NO CD crack that fix the graphic corruption in XP. It's unplayable without it, but with it it looks great.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:40 PM   #32
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

It doesn't fix the compatability problems, though. I've been unable to get the game to run, at least.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:31 PM   #33
Homer of Kittens

RLacey, from my experience, never buy a Japanese game (by Capcom or Konami) for the PC. They always seem to put together something very quickly, and the end product ends up being much inferior to its console brother.

Firefox rules
Old 06-14-2007, 07:58 PM   #34

I finally got my PS2 running!

Here's my planned gamelist so far:
Devil May Cry 1-3
Final Fantasy* VII: Dirge of Cerberus, X, X-2, XII
God of War 1-2
ICO
Kingdom Hearts* 1-2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Okami
Project Zero (Fatal Frame) 1-3
Shadow of the Colossus

* Theese are planned after I finish Final Fantasy 7-9. Playing FF7 now.

I also have Tekken 4, 5 and Ratchet & Clank 3, but I am not yet sure if I will be playing them seriously or not.

I have been wondering about Dragon Quest 8. It looks interesting, but I hate to begin a series out of order. Can someone tell me about the history of the Dragon Quest series? Are the previous games any good? What format was they released on? When? Whats most important for me to know though is if DQ8 continues the story of the earlier games.

Finally I have planned to spend time with the Mana series and the Chrono series, but that currently have the lowest priority. Theese RPG's are huge so it will take time to get through them all.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:47 PM   #35

FF7-9 ??!

Isn't all those games PS1 ,eh you can save your PS1 games on PS2 memory card ?! I know mine can't which sucks so i still kept around my old cheapskate PS1 around to play the PS1 games that i loved as and when i feel like it.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:23 AM   #36
The Dude

Quote:
I have been wondering about Dragon Quest 8. It looks interesting, but I hate to begin a series out of order. Can someone tell me about the history of the Dragon Quest series? Are the previous games any good? What format was they released on? When? Whats most important for me to know though is if DQ8 continues the story of the earlier games.
Dragon Quest 8 was the first Dragon Warrior (that's right, it's called Dragon Warror in USA and Japan) to be released in Europe. They are just like the Final Fantasy games; no DW games connects to eachother, so you can easily play this game. The previous Dragon Warrior was released by Enix, and actually, Enix released their first DW game before the first Final Fantasy. Guess where Square got "inspiration" (yes they stole the whole concept) for their brilliant interface in Final Fantasy?
Anyway, when Square and Enix teamed up some years ago they figured "Hey! Let's release some games in Europe", and that's why we got games like Dragon Quest 8 and Star Ocean 3.
The previous games in the Dragon Warrior series was released for different formats. The first ones was released for Nintendos Famicon (I think - correct me if I'm wrong) and some were released for the Playstation 1.

Phew... But I recommend you to play Dragon Quest 8. It's a really good game with good story, nice gameplay and good looking graphics, esp. if you like the manga style.
And the music is brilliant, actaully I would go as far as say it's has one of the best musicparts in the PS2 history.
They interface used is very easy to get into, and what I thought was a bit original was that you start in the "middle" of the story, that means you've get to see what have happened and why you are on a journey.
Go and play it now
Old 06-15-2007, 05:15 AM   #37

Yes, Dragon Quest VIII is very very good, although it's not even called Dragon Quest VIII in europe. It's just called Dragon Quest - Journey of the Cursed King, isn't it?
Old 06-15-2007, 05:28 AM   #38
Super Moderator

Yes, CrimsonBlue. This all reminds me I still need to go back and finish the Dragovian Trials.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:58 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
FF7-9 ??!

Isn't all those games PS1 ,eh you can save your PS1 games on PS2 memory card ?! I know mine can't which sucks so i still kept around my old cheapskate PS1 around to play the PS1 games that i loved as and when i feel like it.
You can not save your PS1 games on a PS2 memory card, or a PS2 game on a PS1 memory card, but both cards are compatible with the PS2. So, if you want to play a PS1 game on a PS2, simply put the PS1 memory card into your PS2 along with the game. Most PS1 games work on a PS2, but not all of them. Just trying to help!
Old 06-15-2007, 02:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
FF7-9 ??!

I use the ePSXe emulator on PC for thoose. My PC is connected to the TV and I have a wireless dualshock controller.

Here's screenshots of what FF7 looks like in 1920*1080 with texture enhancements.

http://jemym.no-ip.com/ss/finalfantasy7-1.jpg
http://jemym.no-ip.com/ss/finalfantasy7-2.jpg
http://jemym.no-ip.com/ss/finalfantasy7-3.jpg
http://jemym.no-ip.com/ss/finalfantasy7-4.jpg
http://jemym.no-ip.com/ss/finalfantasy7-5.jpg
http://jemym.no-ip.com/ss/finalfantasy7-6.jpg