You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Skipping the PS3 for a PS2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
Master of time and space

Default Skipping the PS3 for a PS2

I've been thinking about getting a PS3 for a while now, but there does not seem to be that many games out for it yet (and for a while). On the other hand the PS2 seems to have a lot of good games out. Final Fantasy 9, 10, 10-2 & 12 as well as ICO 1 & 2 are games I still haven't played and yearn to. However I still don't have a HDTV (getting one within six months though) and I'm wondering if it's possible to play the games on a standard WS 20" TFT monitor?

Are there other games out for the PS2 that I should look out for or is it better to go with a PS3?
Old 05-19-2007, 02:24 AM   #2
In an evening of July...

It is possible to connect the PS2 to a PC monitor, e.g. through the PC itself (you'd need a TV in). There also are adapters for VGA, but they only work with games that support progressive scan, as far as I know. There are signal convertors that work without a PC, but the good ones cost nearly as much as a PS2 itself (or more). I on my side used the ATI All-In-Wonder's TV in, but as the driver situation got worse I switched to a Mac SVideo-USB convertor box.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:24 AM   #3
Psychonaut

If you bought a PS3 it will play some of the PS2 games.

For instance I have played Both God of War games and FF 12 on the PS3 without any problem.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:30 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Rayvielle Send a message via MSN to Rayvielle

Aye ... if you have the cash, then PS3 is the more sensible option.

While it's not FULLY backwards compatible at the moment, it plays pretty much all of the main stream titles for PS2, and PS1 also.

And the catalogue for PS3 will definately improve in the next year or two.

Don't count Sony out of the race, JUST yet.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:37 AM   #5
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvielle View Post
While it's not FULLY backwards compatible at the moment, it plays pretty much all of the main stream titles for PS2, and PS1 also.
There are still many interesting games that it won't play (I'm talking about the newer hardware revision), but the situation will probably improve in time.

Still, in my book the PS2 is by far the more exciting option at the moment. It's very affordable and you get access to an amazing library of games without having to worry whether they will work or not.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:18 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Rayvielle Send a message via MSN to Rayvielle

True I suppose.

There's no real timescale as to when Sony will make the PS3 fully backwards compatible, but I can't imagine it'd take all that long.

Whichever you decide to do, hope you have fun with it.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvielle View Post
There's no real timescale as to when Sony will make the PS3 fully backwards compatible, but I can't imagine it'd take all that long.
Actually, I think that will never happen. They might add support for the most popular titles, but they have stated themselves that making older games backward compatible won't be too high on their priority list going forward.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:49 AM   #8
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
It is possible to connect the PS2 to a PC monitor, e.g. through the PC itself (you'd need a TV in). There also are adapters for VGA, but they only work with games that support progressive scan, as far as I know. There are signal convertors that work without a PC, but the good ones cost nearly as much as a PS2 itself (or more). I on my side used the ATI All-In-Wonder's TV in, but as the driver situation got worse I switched to a Mac SVideo-USB convertor box.
Sounds tricky getting it to work... How do I know if a game supports progressive scan?

*edit*
Just bought ICO 1 & 2 by the way so now there's no return. I'm getting one even if I have to wait until I have something to view it on :-)

Last edited by MdaG; 05-20-2007 at 04:05 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:38 AM   #9
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
Sounds tricky getting it to work... How do I know if a game supports progressive scan?

*edit*
Just bought ICO 1 & 2 by the way so now there's no return. I'm getting one even if I have to wait until I have something to view it on :-)
Congratulations!

It is somewhat tricky. It should state on the game box if it supports progressive scan or not. With this you could hook up a monitor without doing any conversion of a progressive scan signal - as far as I know, haven't tried that myself. I believe a good VGA box upscaler - or a PC with DScaler running is a better option, it'll support any game - but the signal quality will suck more or less, depending on the price tag of your upscaler.

Here is what FFXII looks like with my upscaler and SoTC with the ATI AiW:

Last edited by kuze; 05-20-2007 at 04:48 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:58 AM   #10
Banned User

Wait for a year and the price goes down like hell.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:33 AM   #11
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveYou View Post
Wait for a year and the price goes down like hell.
If you're referring to the PS3 I'm already set up on waiting at least a year before getting one. The PS2 however I'm not going to wait for. The $100+ it'll cost me to buy one isn't expensive enough to motivate waiting. Life's too short to wait if you can help it :-P
Old 06-06-2007, 02:23 AM   #12
Master of time and space

*bump*
I just found this VGA box. Will this make it possible for me to use my Slim PS2 with my 20" WS LCD monitor (with support "1 x VGA - 15-pin HD lD-Sub (HD-15)" and "1 x iDVI-digital - 24 pin digital DVI") and do I need a certain cable for it? I can get at an auction for €50 which I think isn't that bad considering the shipment is only €6 and it's within Sweden so no shipping problems. Sorry for asking stupid questions, but I'm pretty bad at knowing my component standards
Old 06-06-2007, 04:05 AM   #13
In an evening of July...

If your LCD has this kind of connector you should be on the safe side. It doesn't say however whether this box supports upscaling or only progressive signal, I'd ask the seller, just to be sure.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #14
Master of time and space

Quote:
If your LCD has this kind of connector you should be on the safe side. It doesn't say however whether this box supports upscaling or only progressive signal, I'd ask the seller, just to be sure.
I tried it and it works, but the image doesn't even get to be as "good" as that of a regular TV. The seller promised a refund so I'll just continue using the TV.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:46 AM   #15
In an evening of July...

It does depend on the quality of the cables you use, but you are right: it will never be the same as on the TV.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:23 AM   #16
Master of time and space

Quote:
It does depend on the quality of the cables you use, but you are right: it will never be the same as on the TV.
I thought playing the game on my LCD would improve the image compared to the TV (as I don't have a nice HDTV, but only a regular 20" CRT).
I just bought an apartment for €150000 so I'm a little short on cash , when I'm back on my feet again I'm getting a proper TV.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:01 PM   #17

I have ALL the survival horror games released on the PS2 - many will not play on a PS3.

Ps1 to Ps2 was close to 100% so this was not good for me.

Your best bet is a PS2 - cheap and fun and a WII - it's getting the lion's share of the games for this generation.

A Wii and a PS2 are cheaper than a PS3 and have a great selection of games to choose from.

This is the combo most people are going with.

PS3: High Price, No Vibration Feedback, Few Games, Backward Combatability iffy......

Old 06-15-2007, 11:41 PM   #18
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekelly View Post

I have ALL the survival horror games released on the PS2 - many will not play on a PS3.

Ps1 to Ps2 was close to 100% so this was not good for me.

Your best bet is a PS2 - cheap and fun and a WII - it's getting the lion's share of the games for this generation.

A Wii and a PS2 are cheaper than a PS3 and have a great selection of games to choose from.

This is the combo most people are going with.

PS3: High Price, No Vibration Feedback, Few Games, Backward Combatability iffy......

I had to turn off the vibration on the PS2 as it's just annoying. On my 360 it adds to the feeling. It's just done better there.