You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Dark Days Are Coming -- Oh Boy!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
It's Hard To Be Humble

Default Dark Days Are Coming -- Oh Boy!

http://www.funcom.com/wsp/funcom/fro...TENT&item=1004

Haven't seen any mention yet of FunCom's newly announced next gen MMO, The Secret World. Frankly, I've already begun think of this as being the first true MMOA(ction)A(dventure)G, from what little has been said about it, so I'm almost inclined to think it belongs on the Adventure forum. However, I know how resistant folks around here can get about the whole MMO topic, so I figured General was the place to be.

So, any thoughts, any speculations, anything more intelligent to offer than 'Oh, I hope it's about vampires, or werewolves, or vampiric wolfen. That would be so cool!'?

I've been playing MMOs a fair bit lately, but this is the first MMO that I'm genuinely looking forward to (after having spent months hoping URU Live wouldn't be as disappointing as it ultimately has been for me). Anything that promises to be more contemporary, albeit with supernatural and magical elements, but is built by the people who built two of my favourite AGs is an automatic interest tweaker for me.

Thoughts? Questions? Coffee or tea? Would anyone like a mint?
Old 05-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
merely human

Quote:
Dark Days Are Coming -- Oh Boy!
But I thought summer was just around the corner?

Quote:
A modern day online world of action, horror and intriguing conspiracies awaits
New action-packed MMO set to release on both Xbox 360 and PC
Okay I'm in!

EDIT: After reading that press release it seems they made it sound like this game is offering nothing new at all, like it's exactly like many other MMOs out there. Either they seriously need to hire a far far better PR person or the game actually is redundant. Guess we'll just have to wait for more crap press before we get some idea...
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 05-11-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:48 PM   #3
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
[IMG]EDIT: After reading that press release it seems they made it sound like this game is offering nothing new at all, like it's exactly like many other MMOs out there. Either they seriously need to hire a far far better PR person or the game actually is redundant. Guess we'll just have to wait for more crap press before we get some idea...
I can see what you mean, and I agree to an extent. However, I don't think we've seen anything that tries to place it in a modern context. They're just leaning on descriptions that have held them in good stead so far, because most of their product to date has been epic sci-fi and fantasy. An MMO based on Suspense and Supernatural Horror might be a very cool, fresh new thing, particularly since it's beeing art directed by the same crew that did Dreamfall. Say what you will about that game's gameplay, it was a very pretty game for a 3D AG. If they can get any part of the atmosphere they got in Dreamfall into this game, I'd be a sure bet. The one thing wrong with Dreamfall for me was that you couldn't see enough of the worlds they'd built. An MMO is naturally much more expansive and freeform. Plus, it's Ragnar's baby, so you know there has been a lot of thougth put into how to tell gripping stories in the context of an MMO, which I rather look forward to.

But then, the press release info in and of itself doesn't kit my top floor either. I'm just reading more into it because I've been betting on Ragnar for a while now to come up with the Next Big Thing, and I"m hoping this is it.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:15 PM   #4
merely human

Maybe you should change the title of this thread to Ragnar Tornquist's The Secret World announced so it'll get the attention it deserves, Limbsie.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-11-2007, 06:22 PM   #5
merely human

That's either the spaghetti monster or a Cthulhu ripoff.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:01 PM   #6
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Noodly appendages FTW!
Old 05-11-2007, 07:33 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Actually this game has been talked about (sort of) in the Adventure forum in this thread. It just hadn't made it's official debut in an official thread yet.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #8
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Actually this game has been talked about (sort of) in the Adventure forum in this thread. It just hadn't made it's official debut in an official thread yet.
Thank you so much, Melanie. You keep busting me for jumping the gun, but I love you for it.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:42 AM   #9

Never heard of the game but then again I'm not a MMO typ of guy. For some odd reasons i love you too melanie.

Remember: "You can pick your Friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose."
Old 07-02-2007, 11:35 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
Thank you so much, Melanie. You keep busting me for jumping the gun...
I need to keep things in line around here, otherwise chaos will reign!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
...but I love you for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamisoriX View Post
Never heard of the game but then again I'm not a MMO typ of guy. For some odd reasons i love you too melanie.
I'm feeling the urge to go all Sally Field now.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:38 AM   #11
It's Hard To Be Humble

Default No News is Good News, Right?

Things are still really quiet on the FunCom front. They've got Age of Conan coming out shortly (it's in beta now), so they've been saving their PR ammo of that. However, Ragnar's blog has been abnormally quiet too. I periodically stop by the Secret World forums just to see if there's any other news, but it's all conjecture and fannish analysis of every scrap of information they've been given (which isn't much).

So yeah, I don't have any news yet. Just thought it had been a long time since this topic was discussed. I'm still keen, that's for sure.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:21 PM   #12
Banned User

Sorry but vampiric wolfen? I thought hybrid wolf/vamp was called abomination...

Codeguru

PS- I was let down as well by URU. They barely did anything at all and the "puzzles" they put out were a joke. Not even one second of new audio or otherwise animated storyline in game throughout the entire year.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #13
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeguru View Post
PS- I was let down as well by URU. They barely did anything at all and the "puzzles" they put out were a joke. Not even one second of new audio or otherwise animated storyline in game throughout the entire year.
Well, they added a fair bit of new content. I just think that the direction they were going in to make their world interactive and 'live', as well as cooperative, just kind of fell flat for me. I know a number of people (mostly online) who did play were absolutely fascinated, so it's not like they were wrong. They were just a little niche in their appeal. You had to get involved in one of the Guilds to get any kind of a life out of it, and for me, there just wasn't enough coming along to keep me in the game long enough to get interested in any of the guilds.

I dabbled in the community at the beginning, but lost interest quickly, and the little bits of added content that came out in the first handful of months was not nearly enough to keep me playing. They needed to hit me with a fair bit more than those mini garden ages with the impossible coordination puzzles to keep my interest. I mean, by the end of the first year, they gave us the same content I'd already played a few years before on the standalone discs. I regret not seeing the few other bits of original content they added before they shut it all down, but I figure Rand will get something together and I'll get to see that content some other way someday.

Plus, really, there's a certain geeky pecking order thing that kept cropping up that just left a bad taste in my mouth as far as that whole community was concerned. Bitter battles over who should and shouldn't have the right to do some of the things that Rand himself was interested in setting up for all players... a bit of an elitist attitude. They wanted to be URU's Illuminati or something.

Anyone who thinks there is some merit in insisting on people learning a fictional language and history before they can play the game are getting a little bit out of control. Scholarly pursuit is all nice and fine, but the way some of these people railed against the transforming of URU into something everyone could enjoy just really got up my nose.

I wanted to play the game (read journals, discover ages, learn to create new ones... one of the things Rand was pushing for), but wanted almost nothing to do with the more hardcore elements of the community, which severely limited my ability to get immersed, since the guild thing was one of the most significant developments in the game's interactivity.

Anyway, to get things back on track, I suspect there might be a similar uber geekdom ready and waiting to infiltrate The Secret World, which makes me worry. It could so easily turn into an Us vs Them situation, especially if FunCom doesn't step in and start promoting the game as something average players can get into.

The Secret World forum is a little bit like a clubhouse right now, there's nothing real going on there, but there's a whole buzz of activity from people who are perhaps a little too intense about the scraps they've been given. Lots of speculation and a kind of pecking order emerging based on who sounds the most informed.

I've probably got that all wrong. It's just how it feels to me when I lurk there to see what's going on.

I'm hoping the content they come up with for Secret World will be immersive enough that I won't have to worry too much if I never get too tightly tied into the social strata. After my experiences in WoW, I'd kinda like to take a break from politics for a while.

And I would imagine that, depending on whose lore you follow, werewolves and vampires consider each other abominations to begin with. A hybrid would merely get the pure bloods in an uproar. But there's always someone out there who wants to be the freakiest of the freaks.