Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Bioware vs. Obsidian (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/19637-bioware-vs-obsidian.html)

Putrid Moldyman 04-29-2007 06:20 AM

I think Bioware's games tend to be a bit cookie-cutter. They've played around with using unique settings (unique to RPGs, anyway) more recently, but it still feels like the same old stuff to me. I think Obsidian has the potential to make a game that appeals to me more, but they've yet to do it.

wycked 04-29-2007 06:38 AM

Bioware. I prefer NWN1 over NWN2 anyways. I must say that NWN2 was a disapointment and I've been a huge fan of the original game for all these years and was so excited about a sequel. I also like how Bioware kept supporting the game with frequent patches and modules.
NWN2:
Storyline: -decent
Graphics: ok, but nothing spectacular
Character models: BUTT UGLY!
There were lots of things I weren't happy about with this game.

I hope Dragon Age will be good :)

Dasilva 04-29-2007 08:33 AM

What IS known about Dragon Age?

jacog 04-29-2007 09:40 AM

Well, we have got NWN2, but haven't played very far into it... and also just got Jade Empire: Special Edition (a metal box, ooooh... I am a sucker for packaging) ..

Jade Empire runs rather well on our system, NWN2 does not, even though Jade Empire has far better graphics.

aries323 04-30-2007 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasilva (Post 408422)

I think if you head over to Bioware's Dragon Age forum, you will find everything you'd want to know about Dragon Age (DA), if your read the stickys and the forum threads about this.

But here's what I remember:

* it is partybased
* you control all your characters (similar to Baldur's Gate, I think)
* deaths are permanent in DA (there are no resurrection spells, irrc).
* there are no orcs (yeah!) in this game (although there may be a different race of some sorts fullfilling the role of the orcs).
* If your whole party is dead, the game is over (this is similar to Dungeon Sage, irrc).
* the main character's background decides where he or she starts the game. If you, say, choose the background as a dwarf noble, you will start the game in the Dwarfen City. And your background might, may, or will come back to haunt you, I think, during the game. Or at least, your background does have an impact on how the game is played out. (I think this is somewhat similar to the old Quest for Glory Games, where you could choose at the start to be fighter, or a thief, or combination of classes??)
* In tune with the 'there are no resurrection spells' there is no magic in the game. Or more precisely, the magic in DA will be very low-magic and reserved to (the rare) magic users. [Magic in DA will not work the way it does in traditional D&D games].
* The game is aptly named 'dragon age' because, you guessed it, the game has dragons in it ;) . But, as I understand it, dragons will be rare, and not something the everyday person, or party even, will meet. [The screenshots released for DA also show that dragons in DA will look completely different than the dragons in D&D]. There have been 7 og 8 ages before the 'dragon age', which means you probably will encounter some ruins in the game.
* DA is sort of inspired, irrc, by medieval times in Europe. Or more precisely Europe during the 13th-15th century, as I can tell from the released screenshots]. At least people are wearing their shields and weapon on their backs, as was the custom during 13th-15th century.
* Although it is party based, you will have hub (an inn of some sorts, I think)
where you exchange party members. If one of your party members get injured, this injury is permanent, as there are no healing spells or healing potions in the game. To 'heal' your party member, you will need to track your way back to an entry point, and travel back to your camp (or the hub) in order to 'heal' yourself and your party. [And with 'heal' I mean that you need to dress or bandage your wounds, until they have healed completely]. This may change, though.
* And just because the game is inspired by how people lived in the 13th-15th century in Europe, it doesn't mean that all of the game will be like this. It does mean, however, that the writers add & subtract to the game as part of the creative process, and their creative freedom.
*There will be three classes for this game, fighter, rogue, and mage. And you can play as a dwarf, elf, barbarian, or humans (as far I remember). This is just what I remember or what has been confirmed.

And now for something slightly different:

*there may be zombiekittens or skywombats :D in DA, but I wouldn't bet on it :D (at least one of the writers for DA has written about this, but I think, she was joking :D ).

wycked 04-30-2007 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasilva (Post 408422)

Here's the link to the Dragon Age forum
http://forums.bioware.com/viewforum.html?forum=84

JemyM 04-30-2007 10:57 AM

No... no... NO!

This question is psychologically harmful. It's like picking between Monkey Island and Gabriel Knight, or why not between your PARENTS! Why would you even ask a question like that? They are both gods, and you should serve them forever. :pan:

jacog 04-30-2007 11:30 PM

Well, Obs haven't got me convinced yet that they are capable of artistry, or even technical ability for that matter. There are many lazy incapable developers out there who expect you to upgrade your hardware instead of them optimising their engine. Jury's still out.

RLacey 05-01-2007 12:53 AM

If we're going to talk about technical ability, does that make Ion Storm one of the worst developers of all time? :P

As far as Obsidian are concerned, I'll reserve judgement until I see what they can do with an original title. As far as making sequels to Bioware's games, though, I haven't had any particular problems with their efforts so far.

Phantom 05-02-2007 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 407834)
I don't think it was Obsidian's fault that KOTOR 2 ultimately turned out the way it did. They have a very good reputation, and KOTOR 2 had a very strong beginning and was consistent until about 3/4 in. You may want to investigate LucasArt's influence in the quality of this game in terms of time constraints and deadlines.

I really didn't like KOTOR2 from the start. I don't know why, but I never got into the game. And I tried a multitude of times. The beginning was just nog as strong as KOTOR1's, the whole "escape from the mine station" part was boring as hell.

Spiwak 05-03-2007 08:07 PM

KOTOR2 was a pretty good game, bordering great had it not been rushed. Bioware is still hard to beat these days, but I vote Obsidian because of the people behind the company. I'd have voted Troika before Bioware, too, if they were still around.

funcroc 05-03-2007 10:18 PM

Obsidian Entertainment is currently working on three projects.

1. An unannounced Obsidian/Sega RPG - Obsidian's first original IP, a third person action RPG for X360/PS3/PC, based on Unreal Engine 3 (lead designer: Raymond Holmes, creative lead: Brian Mitsoda)
2. Sega's Aliens RPG - based on their own technology (lead designer: J.E. Sawyer, creative lead: Chris Avellone)
3. Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (lead designer: Kevin Saunders, creative lead: George Ziets)

JemyM 05-04-2007 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiwak (Post 409244)
KOTOR2 was a pretty good game, bordering great had it not been rushed. Bioware is still hard to beat these days, but I vote Obsidian because of the people behind the company. I'd have voted Troika before Bioware, too, if they were still around.

Yeah, I agree. KOTOR2 was darn good. Tragically rushed but the story was top notch.

weemies 05-08-2007 11:46 PM

I thought KOTOR 2 was useless. The story and characters were vastly inferior. I found it to be a downgrade all over. The original is possibly my favorite game.

SnorkleCat 05-09-2007 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 408910)
I really didn't like KOTOR2 from the start. I don't know why, but I never got into the game. And I tried a multitude of times. The beginning was just nog as strong as KOTOR1's, the whole "escape from the mine station" part was boring as hell.

I somewhat agree here...it took me a long time to get into the game as well. The first part was a bit dull...but it really grew on me over time. I enjoyed it more once we started picking up party members and developing force powers. Now, 3/4 in, the storytelling is getting a bit ...er, strange...but I'm still enjoying the game, evne with its not inconsiderable problems. The story is less than smooth however. I haven't played KOTOR I yet, but am looking forward to acquiring it. As for Neverwinter Nights, I found it a bit difficult to get into the first one. The second one seems more engaging to me.