You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Grand Theft Auto IV

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2008, 11:10 AM   #81

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
What about teenagers?
well, MAYBE teenagers...
Old 04-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #82
merely human

Just placed my pre-order but most likely will receive this 'package' late next week, a few days after release, and that's fine by me. I'm ready for a new digital adventure as I hadn't got any new game in the past 5 months and nothing else is coming out in the next 2 months that I want (Alone In The Dark: NDI launches in late June).

Looking forward to this mayhem.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-24-2008, 09:28 PM   #83
Magoozelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
I'd love to see a GTA V: Paris 17th Century. Mmmm, highjacking the coaches of noblemen, duels with swords, high speed chases on horseback, silk and brocade costume changes, making out with courtesans then beating them up and taking their money..........
If that was GTA, I might actually enjoy it. Although I will admit that Vice City was a guilty pleasure - a nice weekend rental.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:25 PM   #84
handsome

Well .. IGN gave it 10 out of 10

IGNReview - http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/869/869381p1.html

IGNVideo Review - http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/8...ew_042508.html
Old 04-25-2008, 08:36 PM   #85
Club a seal or two

Wow, IGN review is terrible. They totally stretched it out for that sweet sweet advertisement money and didn't even bother to edit it or proofread it.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #86
handsome

Gametrailers

VideoReview - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33327.html .. ( 10 minutes ) ..
Old 04-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #87
merely human

Yeah, I watched that review just now and then saw your posted link. I love the scenes in the game and it really does feel so immediate and rich with life and interaction.

Metacritic average score 100/100 thus far

I ordered this game not totally paying attention to its impact (I'm not one to have orgasms over any hyper-hyped up title) and sure that it's going to be a damn good time, but seeing a few more videos of it and knowing more about how the missions are centered around stories, I'm now very excited. This should be a potent cocktail of all the best elements from multiple genres - adventure game's exploration and story, action game's white knuckle moments, sandbox game's unlimited freedom, strategy game's demand for intelligent decisions, arcade game's focus on mindless fun, and multiplayer game's chaotic online romping.

I'm actually developing a bit of a crush on Niko, he seems at once driven, ambitious, and smart while at the same time sympathetic, human, and funny. The first GTA character to truly have character.

After finishing Mass Effect, Oblivion, and Assassin's Creed, I'm ready for a wicked fun summer in Liberty City.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-28-2008, 02:45 AM   #88

It will be interesting to see what's been cut from the Australian version. I've got my copy pre-ordered, though.

Edit: IGN reports what hasn't been cut.

Last edited by D.C.; 04-28-2008 at 03:45 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:49 AM   #89
Super Moderator

Quote:
Metacritic average score 100/100 thus far
That average score is just mental, albeit down to 99 now. With any luck, my preorder will have arrived this morning... and I'm starting to feel very poorly...
Old 04-28-2008, 04:16 AM   #90
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Well .. IGN gave it 10 out of 10
Well, IGN doles out 10/10s and 9/10s like it's candy, so that doesn't necessarily mean much.

However, Eurogamer also gave it a 10/10, and they're generally more critical and harder to please, so that's exciting.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #91
Homer of Kittens

These reviews are just crazy. I might have to take a day off from work this week to have some GTA action.

Firefox rules
Old 04-28-2008, 10:45 AM   #92
The Quiet One

My copy's been dispatched this evening so hopefully (fingers crossed) i should get it tomorrow.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #93
Master of time and space

So are you getting this for the PC, X360 or the PS3 ?
Old 04-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #94
Psychonaut

It's only out on the PS3 and 360.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:52 PM   #95
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
So are you getting this for the PC, X360 or the PS3 ?
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-28-2008, 11:23 PM   #96

360 too. Picking my copy up in just under an hour. Hooray!

Edit: I've been playing for a couple of hours and am really liking this game. The opening sequence is very cinematic and there's an epic vibe. The writing is great. Niko's instantly likable and it has been great fun exploring Liberty City and meeting and greeting the locals. I'm not very far into GTA IV at all, but what little missions I've played have been good - helping to get adjusted to the controls and new features. The phone and GPS are freakin' great additions. The world is stunning looking! Watching the locals interact randomly is great. I feel like Niko exploring the city, everything is shiny and new - a world of possibilities. I even spent about 15 minutes watching the in-game television shows which are hilarious! Can't wait to play on. (Unfortunately my 360 has been hijacked by crowds wanting to play.)

Last edited by D.C.; 04-28-2008 at 11:29 PM. Reason: First impressions added.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:32 PM   #97
merely human

Congrats, hon.

From what I read Niko's cellphone is the nucleus of managing all your missions and whatnots in Liberty City, as at times it seems things could get overwhelming.

I have a feeling it'll be rather similar to when I first stepped into the world of Oblivion. For at least an hour I just walked around like a tourist and looked at everything. Such is a good sandbox game experience.

And like Oblivion I'll play GTA IV as if it were the ultimate adventure game - screw the puzzles, puppet-like characters, and flat writing. Oh, and the reviews are also praising the writing as among the best ever in a game. I'm thrilled.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:50 PM   #98

Quote:
Congrats, hon.

From what I read Niko's cellphone is the nucleus of managing all your missions and whatnots in Liberty City, as at times it seems things could get overwhelming.
Already I can tell this is going to be a pretty major feature. I've only got two contacts so far, but have been given a 'mission' from both that I had to choose between when they called at the same time. (There were consequences of choosing one over the other too, which I won't get into.) You can screen your calls as well! It adds a whole new layer to the game. I haven't tried accessing the multiplayer from the phone yet.

Quote:
I have a feeling it'll be rather similar to when I first stepped into the world of Oblivion. For at least an hour I just walked around like a tourist and looked at everything. Such is a good sandbox game experience.
I had a hard time getting back into the GTA mindset. The world feels so real that I didn't want to turn Niko into a criminal with carjacking and the like. In fact I walked about four blocks to get to a mission because I didn't want to ruin an NPCs day by stealing their car! (I got over this pretty quickly, though. )
Old 04-29-2008, 12:43 AM   #99
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Is this game worth buying a PS3 for? I've still been trying to hold off from buying the system but I may have to give in temptation as I really, really want to play this game.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 04-29-2008, 03:03 AM   #100

Picked up the PS3 version at midnight near where I worked. I personally don't care much for DLC although I do have the 360 too.