You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Getting my pc beefed up for STALKER????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 10:36 AM   #1

Default Getting my pc beefed up for STALKER????

I think Stalker looks like a game that I'd enjoy playing. For some time my pc has needed an upgrade due to my graphics card breaking down a month ago(currently running on a spare card that's pretty old - and slow). So now I need guidance

I need to upgrade my pc with a new motherboard, processor and graphics card. While doing this I want hardware that'll enable me to play Stalker without having to run on the lowest setting and suffer from delays.

Having said the above I must add that money isn't something I go pick off a tree in the back yard!!! *HINT*

So what would you guys recommend me? Please state maker and model for any hardware that you mention (I'm an amateur when it comes to hardware).
Old 03-20-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
merely human

Whatever you do, stay away from Dell PCs.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-20-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
Creepy Father Figure

Well I'll warn you if you change all that you might as well get ready to buy Windows again. IT will not recognize a new motherboard and therefore inform you that your code is invalid for your computer.
I do not know the specifics on the game you are wanting to play but I can recommend a builder. Cyberpower Back to School Edition has about the bare minimum of some of the newer games.

If you really want to do this yourself though you need to post what you already have so you can build from that. Like for instance you cannot use your 184 pin DDR memory with a motherboard that uses 240 pin DDR2.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Have a look here for some general gaming computer advice:

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...ad.php?t=19285

You can see how that fits with the possible specs that your game might need.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
Well I'll warn you if you change all that you might as well get ready to buy Windows again. IT will not recognize a new motherboard and therefore inform you that your code is invalid for your computer.
That's not quite true. Yes, it'll tell you your code is invalid, but you can reactivate a number of times without having to pay a penny. Also, just changing the motherboard isn't always enough to trigger the need for reactivation.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #6
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin View Post
That's not quite true. Yes, it'll tell you your code is invalid, but you can reactivate a number of times without having to pay a penny. Also, just changing the motherboard isn't always enough to trigger the need for reactivation.
Heck, it killed my code just flashing my BIOS.

The only saving thing I found is that if you look there is usually a spare number on your PC that is different from the one the manufacturer used. Most manufacturers build a HD image then put it on all the computers of that type.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
Homer of Kittens

I hope this one comes to consoles. My PC will weep trying to play it.

Firefox rules
Old 03-20-2007, 03:12 PM   #8
In an evening of July...

I just received my "new" Radeon 9800Pro to complement my 2800XP with 1,5GB RAM, so I installed the STALKER Russian multiplayer open beta right away. It doesn't look too good (at least those two included maps I took a look at), and it runs absolutely fine (I assume about 30-50 fps) on high settings - you won't need a monster gaming rig to play this.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:16 PM   #9
capsized.

Just save the money, wait a couple of years and you can play it on your mobile phone's old_windows_games emulator.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:54 PM   #10
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Stalker runs fine on an oldish computer if you use the "static lighting" option. It doesn't look spectacular, but should run well.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:17 AM   #11

Thanks for your comments. The fact is that I'll need new RAM if I buy a new motherboard.

A friend of mine suggests a graphics card named 7800GT. I don't no the maker though?

I'll be satisfied playing Stalker without delays, but at a low setting. It doesn't have to run beautifully at the highest setting. What do you guys have in your pc's?
Old 03-30-2007, 03:48 PM   #12

I's stay away from the 7900 line. I went through 3 of those cards in under 2 months. There's something faulty with the hardware on those ones. The 7800 line seems to be ok, but if you're going to upgrade might as well buy something with DX10 in it.

I have a 7950 GX2 now. I'm pretty pleased with it (with the exception that Oblivion runs like a turd burglar on it, and by that I mean not at all); I wish I'd have waited for the 8800's but it is what it is. I'll probably upgrade in 4 years, when Vista is finally stable.

If you're going to be an Nvidia card, I'd go with BFG Tech. There lifetime warranty is awesome and they are the only company that has half-decent tech support. I've gone through EVGA and XFX cards as well - I wouldn't deal with those companies again for 20 million dollars.

Last edited by SLabyrinth; 03-30-2007 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Added bit about Oblivion
Old 03-30-2007, 04:43 PM   #13
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fop View Post
Stalker runs fine on an oldish computer if you use the "static lighting" option. It doesn't look spectacular, but should run well.
Oh, I disagree, STALKER does look absoletly fabelous on my 9800Pro. The sky is particulary tasty, best sky I've seen in any game so far.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:41 PM   #14

Thanks for the extra comments. Right now I'm thinking 8800GTS. I don't want to go more expensive than that. I tried Stalker on my brother's pc which has a 7800SC card. It runs fairly good, but sometimes it lags a bit. I'm without ideas on a processor though. I have an old AMD Athlon now. At the time I got that it was fine, but what's good today i'm not sure?
Old 04-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #15

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 or E6400 or the other available duo core cpus available. It depends on exactly how much you're willing to spend.

If you're thinking 8800 card, you might as well upgrade to a brand new Pci-Express system: motherboard, vid card, ram, cpu ---- so the other components won't be the cause for bottleneck performance.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:56 AM   #16
Master of time and space

Is this game coming to the 360 or do I too have to upgrade my PC?
Old 04-02-2007, 09:09 AM   #17
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Most likely it's not coming. It's always been only for PC in development.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:56 AM   #18
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

I'd wager not as well.