You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

View Poll Results: Favored choice of alignment
Good 15 68.18%
Evil 3 13.64%
Neutral 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
Master of time and space

Default RPG Alignment

What alignment do you usually play (first, if you try all the approaches)? I've played the following RPG's where a choice was given:
  • Baldur's Gate *Good*
  • Baldur's Gate 2 *Good*
  • Fallout *Good*
  • Fallout 2 *Good*
  • Torment *Good*
  • Knights of the Old Republic *Evil then Good*
  • Knights of the old republic 2 *Evil*
  • Jade Empire *Good*
  • Oblivion *Good*
  • Daggerfall *Good*
  • Temple of Elemental Evil *Neutral*

Of all these only KOTOR 1 & 2 made me play as evil. The others just didn't feel rewarding enough to take on the evil route. I'm going on Fable - Lost chapters now and I think I'm going to give the evil route a try :-)
Old 03-19-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
merely human

I'm tragically, terminally good.

However, maintaining that goodness may necessitate a few evil thingies which keep me from truly achieving a sickeningly sweet and frothy candy coloured halo. Can't wait for Mass Effect.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-19-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

In CRPGs: Good, generally. I find I usually can't bring myself to be a slimeball unless I'm in "see everything in the game" mode.

In Table-top RPGs: We're not allowed to play Evil characters (not so far, anyway), so... *counts*

IIRC, I have/had:

2 Chaotic Good characters
3 Neutral Good characters
1 Chaotic Neutral/Good character
1 Lawful Neutral/Good character
1 Chaotic Neutral character

Phew, I have way too many characters.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 03-19-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I have a guilt complex, and so almost always play good characters.

That said, I'm playing an evil character in Neverwinter Nights 2, and Fable is a blast when you're evil.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:02 PM   #5

I usually enjoy playing Chaotic Good characters when given the choice.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
capsized.

They call me Dr. Evil.

Gosh, thinking about it, this is terribly black and white (and so are most games.) Stereotypes. Stereotypical thinking. Good. Evil. Bah. Kotor is reaaaaally like that for the most part. Particularly every action that's supposed to represent an opportunity to push your evil-o-meter a little further towards "GOD I'M SATAN INCARNATE!" is so blatantly obvious it's oh, well. Still, overall it's black&white at its most fun. Peter Molyneux, pay heed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWrong View Post
I usually enjoy playing Chaotic Good characters when given the choice.
I eat babies for breakfast. Top that!
Old 03-19-2007, 03:13 PM   #7
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsie View Post
I eat babies for breakfast. Top that!
I eat Pro-Lifers and anti-stem cell research advocates for breakfast.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #8
DAVE

Always good.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
merely human

(((((Catbert)))))
Old 03-19-2007, 03:28 PM   #10
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

I like the chaotic good alignment if I can pick it or something close to it, but if I can't then I stick with good on the first play through then evil on the next.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:33 PM   #11
merely human

I'm hoping that the alignment system in Mass Effect will be as ambivalent and nuanced as Bioware claims it to be. I want to be truly challenged whenever I need to make decisions.

KOTOR II seemed to play around with this notion but never seriously pushed it as far as it could go. Kreia was excellent in challenging you to second guess your actions and the story did a good job making you question her motives throughout.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:46 PM   #12

I'm always good. I'm too much into the role to be anything else but myself. And I'm good. Oh, yes I am.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:53 PM   #13
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trep
KOTOR II seemed to play around with this notion but never seriously pushed it as far as it could go. Kreia was excellent in challenging you to second guess your actions and the story did a good job making you question her motives throughout.

Well, in all fairness, and I should have really added this: The portrayal of GOOD™ and EVIL® in Kotor was pretty darn close to the source material. Need to play the sequel one day...
Old 03-19-2007, 03:54 PM   #14
DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post

(((((Catbert)))))
You eat pro-lifers too? That is the definition of good, ridding the world of those evil *$#%s.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:56 PM   #15
merely human

Yeah. Unfortunately they don't taste very good, the meat's a little tight, especially their assmeat. Still, I must act out my obligation to do good.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #16
DAVE

Old 03-19-2007, 04:20 PM   #17
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Phantom:

I rather like this one:

Name:  Alignment.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  74.2 KB

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 03-19-2007, 04:30 PM   #18
merely human

This is mine...
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2007, 06:06 PM   #19
Vigilant

Some of those RPG's originally listed in this thread don't even have what KOTOR tried to offer, so pretending like there were choices in some of them is just pointless. At least KOTOR had moral choices, albeit generally stark, contrasting ones. Like sam said, it's black and white at its most fun.

Kreia, despite alot of hate directed towards her character, added quite a bit of depth to the game. She had some brilliant dialogue written for her character that was as clever as it was thought-provoking. She almost made me change my alignment....
Old 03-19-2007, 06:43 PM   #20
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Both good ones!