You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy, forgotten gold

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM
Default Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy, forgotten gold

I guess this is some kind of review...

I just finished Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy, a game from 2005, initially released on PS2 and XBox but was also released on PC.

The first thing that strikes me as odd is that it's a game that have not been reviewed by major PC gamesites, almost as if it was never released.

The second thing that strikes me as odd is that I never heard anyone mention it on the gamesites I usually visit...

It's odd because Psi-Ops: TMC got great reviews for the consoles and it is an awesome game, made by the developers who are currently working on Strangehold.

It's seldom you find a game that blend a nice storyline with over the top gameplay. The game tell the story about Nick Scryer, brainwashed agent who are sent out to infiltrate an evil Psi-organisation. Well, things go bad and Nick is captured and have to flee with the help of Sarah Blake who claims to be his ally. In many twists and turns that follows, Nick chase his own past with amnesia. Quickly he begins to realise that he is a psi-user himself, being able to use exceptional powers against his foes. The story is nicely told in cutscenes and give you some laughs and some mysteries. It's lighthearted but serious at the same time.

The gameplay blends stealth from Metal Gear Solid with powers similar to what you find in Jedi Knight. It starts like any other game, with a gun, nameless foes, but within the first levels you "unlock" some special powers and beyond that nothing is the same.
You can lift opponents with telekinesis and slam them to the wall, or throw a huge boulder or crate at them, or why not set fire on a crate with pyrokinesis, then hurl the crate at at them, you can take over their mind, letting them do the dangerous stuff like killing their friends and then themselves, you can leave your body and explore the map in ghostform, and you can drain the mind of an opponent that will eventually explode in a satisfying pop.

Many puzzles throughout the game must be solved through theese special powers, and sometimes you can just go wild and have fun with whatever comes in your way.

The bossfights are exceptionally well made. They usually depend on you to use your special powers to defeat the villians.

I can really recommend the game for thoose who feel they need another game.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:36 PM   #2
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I agree, its a Beyond Good & Evil, good game that didn't get that popular.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 02-28-2007, 09:04 PM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
I agree, its a Beyond Good & Evil, good game that didn't get that popular.
I was thinking about the siimilar fate to BG&E as well.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
Homer of Kittens

Psi-ops is a brilliant game, and one of the under appreciated gems out there. Probably the best use of physics as a game play element after Half Life 2.

Firefox rules
Old 03-01-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
Master of time and space

Great another game that isn't backwards compatible with the 360
(other game being Beyond Good and Evil)