You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 07:09 AM   #1
capsized.

Default Cave Story

Found another pretty cool freware game. Less than a meg in download size, pretty oldschool, from the gfx to the sounds. The music's catchy, too. I like that.

http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/

I'm not far into it, but I'm going to play some more now. If you want, too, make sure to download the patch that translates the games into English as well if your'e not Japanese... or something.

edit: Okay, this is pretty darn fantastic! And it's free! And the music that's playing in the village! Aaaahhhhh. Erm, is anybody able to make out if the author released more games than this one? http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA022293/

Last edited by samIamsad; 02-08-2007 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
Freeware Co-ordinator

bruno321 recommended this to me ages ago (check out his avatar to see how much he likes the game ) and it is abolutely excellent. There are also at least 3 endings available though the third ending requires you to access the phenomenally difficult secret level.

I'm not really a platform game person but this one had me hooked.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 02-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
capsized.

Arrrr, I knew that sprite looked familiar! So, the games actually pretty popular, has its own fansites, this wiki entry, its soundtrack remixed, stuff like that. I was also able to find out that there is indeed another game from the same guy called Ikachan. You play a cute squid, and it's a little different from Cave Story. Once the game begins, and the music starts playing, there's a magic to be found here as well. "Swim Ikachan!" Sigh..

And all this crammed into a 154 kb zip file.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:33 AM   #4
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

I played that game a while ago....

I haven't tried Ikachan though, I'll give it a try though!
Old 02-15-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
capsized.

...and?

I think I made it to the final boss, haven't beaten him yet. Meanwhile, I discovered another cute, pretty recent game that might appeal to "Cavestory" players as well. It's "Lyle in Cube Sector".

Quote:
Lyle has had his cat, Keddums, stolen away by a hooded stranger as he is sleeping. Lyle is awakened by Keddums's screech, and looks out his window, just missing who took his cat. Lyle then leaves his house and finds himself in Cube Sector.
And so the game begins. I didn't think much of it at first, but then all you can do is jumping and well, running in the beginning of the game. Once again, you have to aquire certain abilities and make good use of them to gain access to more sections of the world. There are puzzles, too. Plus catchy music as well. Sounds more SIDchip-ish (Commodore64) this time, while Cavestory sounds very much like an NES game. One boss battle in particular was pretty awesome. It was essentially a Breakout-style minigame in which I had to block the enemy's shots using a cube and.. oh well, cool stuff.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:52 AM   #6
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

...looks like just the thing missing from my life...getting it now.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:18 AM   #7
Master of time and space

There's a review here.