You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Mr. Smoozles Goes Nutso - CD version (and selling the game)?

View Poll Results: Would you buy a CD version of Mr. Smoozles Goes Nutso?
Yes, I would buy a CD version. 7 38.89%
No, I have no interest in buying the game on CD. 2 11.11%
I already bought the game - it would depend on what additional extras there are. 4 22.22%
I already bought the game - it would depend on the price. 0 0%
Forget the game, I'll just send you lots of money. 1 5.56%
Other. 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2007, 01:46 AM   #21
Writer-Designer

XBox Live is a little beyond my skill set I'm afraid.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:23 PM   #22
Banned User

Aim high buddy. Aim high!
Old 01-27-2007, 12:47 AM   #23
Writer-Designer

But know your limitations...
Old 01-27-2007, 12:56 AM   #24
marsan

Never let go of your dreams. One day you'll stand in somebodys face and say "What do you think you're doing with that game? Are you copying it?"

Old 01-27-2007, 09:21 AM   #25
Writer-Designer

My dreams are pretty grand, I just don't have the programming skills to create a version that would run on XBox live. And I don't have the time to learn...
Old 01-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #26
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I bought the game as download and I would buy it as a CD version too.
And if the CD version has some extras bundled with it, that would be just almost too awesome.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:16 AM   #27
Writer-Designer

Thanks Kolzig.

What's really telling about this poll is that there have been nearly 400 views of this thread but only 12 votes. I think that I have my answer...
Old 01-30-2007, 01:37 AM   #28
Kung Fu Code Poet

Steve Ince: Would it be rude of me to ask if you could divulge sales figures for Mr S Goes N vs estimated amount of time spent making it? Or PM me if you are willing to share with a single peep namely me of the aforementioned PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:41 AM   #29
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacog View Post
Steve Ince: Would it be rude of me to ask if you could divulge sales figures for Mr S Goes N vs estimated amount of time spent making it? Or PM me if you are willing to share with a single peep namely me of the aforementioned PM.
Let me put it this way:

I was hoping to sell 2000 copies to give me a good return for the amount of time I invested in creating the game. Even 1000 copies would have given me a reasonable sum (minus the money paid for the music) but as I'm struggling to even reach a tenth of that I'm left in a position where I'm still owing money out.

Perhaps I should have done the game in a similar visual style to Mr. Robot (by Moonpod Games http://www.moonpod.com/ ), which has lots of similarities to Nutso in terms of gameplay style.

By the way, my earlier comment was meant to be tongue in cheek, but looking back I don't think it came across that way.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:04 AM   #30
Kung Fu Code Poet

Much truth there is in jest. But it's not good news. I would also like to see a breakdown of what your marketing strategy is/was, but now I am just getting nosy. I mean, have you identified a target demographic and done some research about where you might find them? Also, have you ever considered a lower profit margin in favour of bigger sales by selling through vendors like casual games vendors. I had a chat with the marketing manager for one such company, and he told me 2000 units was about a worst case scenario for anything they publish on their site. This is not a discussion for this thread though.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:59 AM   #31
The Reggienator

I'm sad to hear that such a good game hasn't sold well, what is wrong with people and especially the adventure community? I thought they especially would love this kind of nice little game...
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:31 AM   #32
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacog View Post
Much truth there is in jest. But it's not good news. I would also like to see a breakdown of what your marketing strategy is/was, but now I am just getting nosy. I mean, have you identified a target demographic and done some research about where you might find them? Also, have you ever considered a lower profit margin in favour of bigger sales by selling through vendors like casual games vendors. I had a chat with the marketing manager for one such company, and he told me 2000 units was about a worst case scenario for anything they publish on their site. This is not a discussion for this thread though.
I exlored this route to a point, but there were problems. Some portals think it's not a casual game. Some think it's too hard for the casual market. Some had some technical issues with it. Seems I couldn't win...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig View Post
I'm sad to hear that such a good game hasn't sold well, what is wrong with people and especially the adventure community? I thought they especially would love this kind of nice little game...
You can't blame people for not wanting to buy a game. If it isn't to their tastes there's nothing I can do, other than learn from the experience.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:38 AM   #33
Super Moderator

I saw this site in Marek's blog:

http://www.greatgamesexperiment.com/

Old 01-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #34
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
What I thought was most interesting were Marek's thoughts on Manifesto and I find that I agree with him completely. I signed up with Manifesto and I can't say that it's done me a geat deal of good. And trying to make a game publishing venture out to be some sort of radical political movement is really a bit silly.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #35
Bad command or file name

I know that you are asking about the feasibility of CD versions but I think a price drop might be more beneficial to sales. You are competing with many large budget games at that price point. Something in the range of $10-$15 would position Nutso more strategically against them.

Edit: For example Prey (2006), Painkiller: Gold (2004), and Psychonauts (2005) are all available on Steam for the same or less money than Nutso.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!

Last edited by bysmitty; 01-31-2007 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:06 PM   #36
Kung Fu Code Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ince
I exlored this route to a point, but there were problems. Some portals think it's not a casual game. Some think it's too hard for the casual market. Some had some technical issues with it. Seems I couldn't win...
Wow, that is really unfortunate, and these people sound a tad daft if you ask me. I guess in the end no matter how good your product is, you still have to contend with overwelming stupidity. Can't really win I suppose. This is why there's so much tripe coming out of Hollywood too... but I digress.

How's the response elsewhere to having a CD version? The percentages here look good, but not the numbers. I don't quite understand though... My intuition tells me a lot of people download the game, play it, probably like it, but just can't bring themselves to tap in their credit card details for the full version. Also, shipping and fulfillment solutions... handle it all yourself for the UK, handle US orders through a fulfillment house in Michigan perhaps? Questions questions...

Sorry, getting a little carried away. I simultanously love and hate this stuff. I was technology strategist for an advertising/marketing firm for 5 years, and even though the job mostly sucked, I do sometimes miss it.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:28 PM   #37
marsan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bysmitty View Post
I know that you are asking about the feasibility of CD versions but I think a price drop might be more beneficial to sales. You are competing with many large budget games at that price point. Something in the range of $10-$15 would position Nutso more strategically against them.

...bysmitty
I have to agree with you. I recently bought totally neverwinter nights, which is neverwinter nights including both the expansion packs. Now, this game is a little old(from 2003), but it costed about the same as Mr Smoozles Goes Nutso. I don't know about the size of Mr Smoozles Goes Nutso, but I figure it's less than the time I would have to spend to finish neverwinter nights with all the expansion packs.

But yeah, I'd love to support this game. So I'm seriously considering buying it now. Steve's one of the best.

All that said. I would be more willing to spend the money if I got a cd version instead of just a code I can accidently delete if I am not careful(I am an expert in loosing e-mails with activation codes).

Last edited by marsan; 01-30-2007 at 12:36 PM.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:10 AM   #38
Grah! Grah!

I keep meaning to buy it but only remember to late at night when my Mum's too asleep for me to borrow her credit card without upsetting my fickle conscience. However, I promise to purchase it tomorrow, god knows I've been considering it long eough. I think a major obstacle to many people accepting it may be the long load time at the beginning, as it is a somewhat worrying sign for people who haven't played the demo or are unfamiliar with your work. I realise this post is pretty pointless, as I trust that if it were something easily fixed you would have done so already but I somehow felt obliged to add that point anyhow. I'm saddened to hear the game hasn't done better for you, as it clearly is the product of a lot of talent and care.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:09 AM   #39
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bysmitty View Post

Edit: For example Prey (2006), Painkiller: Gold (2004), and Psychonauts (2005) are all available on Steam for the same or less money than Nutso.

...bysmitty
The exchange rates are a real pain at the moment. Compared to prices in the UK, what I'm charging is very reasonable. PC games normally sell for around 30 pounds with cheaper releases (HL2 Ep1) going for around 20 pounds. At current exchange rates this would equate to 60 and 40 dollars respectively.

If I reduced the price to 10 dollars, that would equate to 5 pounds and to me the game is more than a five pound game.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there is no solution. Maybe I have a month at reduced price to see if it makes a difference. Maybe I need better marketing.

Here's another question: Of the people who already bought it, do you feel you paid too much?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:20 AM   #40
The Reggienator

Well you propably can guess my answer as I feel I didn't pay too much.