You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Most annoying gaming phrases

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 06:29 AM   #21
Vigilant

Noob.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:22 AM   #22
delusions of adequacy

windows, direct X, havok physics.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:42 PM   #23
Banned User

Commence eye rolling.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:58 AM   #24
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

"action-adventure", because there are at least seven different types of game it could be referring to. What good is a term that's used for pretty much anything the speaker feels like assigning it to?!

"innovative gameplay". Oh, don't get me wrong- I like innovation. But it bothers me when people hold it up as a measure of greatness. Innovation is the means to an end, not an end in itself.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:44 AM   #25
Bad command or file name

^ Agreed on "action-adventure". Never was there a more vague and worthless genre title.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 01-16-2007, 12:24 PM   #26

I hate the whole "I just beat the game" thing for a different reason. I used to love the action platformers (Contra for example) because they were so damn hard. I hate the fact that action games are now judged by how long they take you to beat rather than if you can beat it at all.

I don't think I even ever beat Super C.

Then there's the really, really old games that don't really have an end, per se.
http://www2.b3ta.com/heyhey16k/
Old 01-16-2007, 06:34 PM   #27
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisty View Post
I I hate the fact that action games are now judged by how long they take you to beat rather than if you can beat it at all.

Oh!! I hate that - you visit a forum and you see loads of posts saying "I beat the game in 5hrs!!!! "

As if that's a good thing??

If I finished a game that quickly I'd be taking it back to the store for my money back!!

Old 01-16-2007, 07:27 PM   #28
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

There's not really any specific term, but I find the whole "great graphics" hype annoying. Yes, it's the 21st century. We know that consoles and PCs are capable of incredible stuff. It seems every review that a person can find on the game, graphics are the main focus.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:41 PM   #29
The Major Grubert.

"Totally immersive"
Old 01-16-2007, 11:44 PM   #30

"Taken to the next level."

"Grandia/Suikoden/Xenogears/almost anything is ok but it's no ff7 roflmaoloololol"-CouldSepi3591
Old 01-16-2007, 11:47 PM   #31
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

I´m dissapointed with the use of next-gen too, haven´t seen a game I could call next-gen, they´re overall overhyped.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:17 AM   #32
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

"classic style adventure gaming!"...this seems to refer to warmed over Sierra and Lucas Arts clones made by people who want to party like its 1992.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:55 AM   #33
Not like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorkleCat View Post
"classic style adventure gaming!"...this seems to refer to warmed over Sierra and Lucas Arts clones made by people who want to party like its 1992.
Hm. What term would you prefer, "old-fashioned adventure gaming"? Come to think of it, I might prefer that too. But it's more fitting than flattering; I can't see it catching on.

Last edited by MoriartyL; 01-22-2007 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:09 AM   #34
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Box quotations from the press that say "Better than [Name of Universally Acclaimed Game in the Genre]!". Normally attached to games that are far, far worse.

eg. Daikatana. Eidos stole a quotation from a preview that was talking about the graphics, and emblazoned the box with "Better than Half-Life" (not that that takes much ).

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:15 AM   #35
Explode the Universe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Hm. What term would you prefer, "old-fashioned adventure gaming"? Come to think of it, I might prefer that too. But it's more fitting than flattering; I can't see it catching on.
hmm...terminology... names are so difficult because everyone responds positively or negatively to certain keywords he/she has been programmed to react to...I actually wouldn't mind calling that Monkey Island/Steel Sky/Indiana Jones style of game 'old fashioned adventure gaming'- nothing wrong with being old fashioned! I guess my problem with the "classic style adventure gaming" crowd lies in the subtext, which seems to read that anything straying outside the accepted format doesn't deserve to be called a "classic adventure game." I encounter this same problem at work too, where a certain corp of presenters think that if a composition was not written by Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Haydn, or Brahms, then it just isn't "as good." I will give myself a concussion one day beating my head against the wall trying to convince people that modern composers are every bit as valid as the ones who came before....I guess I feel the same conservative attitudes exist within the gaming community as well....
Old 01-22-2007, 08:23 AM   #36
Explode the Universe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
Box quotations from the press that say "Better than [Name of Universally Acclaimed Game in the Genre]!". Normally attached to games that are far, far worse.

eg. Daikatana. Eidos stole a quotation from a preview that was talking about the graphics, and emblazoned the box with "Better than Half-Life" (not that that takes much ).
I concur...doing that is tantamount to saying "Our product is a derivative, unoriginal, and hackneyed copy of something you may have enjoyed in the past and we'd like to cash in on that!!"
Old 01-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #37
Not like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorkleCat View Post
I concur...doing that is tantamount to saying "Our product is a derivative, unoriginal, and hackneyed copy of something you may have enjoyed in the past and we'd like to cash in on that!!"
..or as I like to put it: "It's exactly like everything you've ever played... but better!

Okay, that was off-topic. Back to phrases.

Two words that get on my nerves when overused in reviews: "solid" and "flawed". Explain to me what "solid" means in the context of a game. That it's on a nice, sturdy disc that won't crack in half? Okay, too literal. That it's not riddled with bugs, maybe? Big deal- it's only an issue if it's not there. That the gameplay won't drive you crazy? Ditto. And "flawed"- what's that supposed to mean? If it's talking about not achieving what it set out to achieve, then why is it used so often for cases which just don't satisfy the critic's personal preferences? Why do I have to hear critics call a game "flawed" for not including voice acting, or the latest in a long-standing series "flawed" for not reinventing the wheel? Not every personal disappointment is a flaw. And even if there were a genuine flaw, the only one who would really know in most cases is the creator himself, since no one else knows so precisely what he was going for as to identify such a flaw.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:36 AM   #38

"The next *insert famous Adventure title here*"

WTF?

The NEXT *another game*???!!!

So that's why games depend on "trends" these days?
Old 01-23-2007, 03:20 PM   #39
Bad command or file name

"Lifestyle Simulation"

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 06:05 AM   #40
Not like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bysmitty View Post
"Lifestyle Simulation"

...bysmitty
I've never heard that term, but it seems like a pretty good classification for The Sims. What's the problem? Do you have a problem with "City Simulation" or "Empire Simulation"? Why is "lifestyle" a problem?