Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   *Best emotion filtering games (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/18298-%2Abest-emotion-filtering-games.html)

Gabe 12-30-2006 05:19 AM

*Best emotion filtering games

Best i know HL 2,VMTBL im disappointed with oblivion's engine about that
do you know any new games gets better about it?
(*face,body animations of feelings)

bigjko 01-08-2007 05:26 PM

First of all, what's VMTBL? Second, I think you mean something other than filtering..

Half-Life 2 obviously excels in this field but I'm really having a difficult time remembering any other game that really had good emotions through animation. Mass Effect looks like it's doing a pretty good job, jugding from the gameplay videos.

insane_cobra 01-08-2007 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjko (Post 379438)
First of all, what's VMTBL?

Probably a misspelled acronym for Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

From what I've seen, Half-Life 2 is still far ahead of everything else, even the Heavy Rain demonstration. And that's a bit depressing, considering its age.

Intrepid Homoludens 01-08-2007 11:53 PM

Isn't the Heavy Rain system supposed to be real time, though? How much difference does this make in comparing it to HL2?

insane_cobra 01-09-2007 12:29 AM

What do I care? I'm only interested in the end result, not in how they got there.

Intrepid Homoludens 01-09-2007 12:35 AM

From what I've seen of Mass Effect, I may end up preferring it over HL2.

insane_cobra 01-09-2007 01:33 AM

The thing I love about Half-Life 2's facial animation system is all those subtle little movements, like Alyx raising an eyebrow just a little bit or almost unnoticeably quirking a corner of her mouth. It gives characters so much life. The eye movements are marvelously done as well.

And it's not only the moving faces, it's the whole subtle changes of posture. Like Alyx feeling a bit embarrassed after telling what she feels is a bad joke (the Zombines moment in Episode 1).

Artik2 01-09-2007 03:07 AM

That's right... the way they move as they speak and the voice tone follows those movements... its a greate improvement to the statics mouse-movements-only statues.

bigjko 01-09-2007 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 379523)
Isn't the Heavy Rain system supposed to be real time, though? How much difference does this make in comparing it to HL2?

I'm not sure I understand your point. Even if developers had the money to make a bunch of these real-time Heavy Rain scenes, Half-Life 2 still looks better to me. It's more subtle, which in turn makes the whole thing more natural for me. Heavy Rain looks more like a game trying to be like a movie.

Of course, that's mostly because it's being presented to you non-interactively but I'm sure it's also because it's a whole lot less subtle than HL2.

Oh, and Vampires. My impressions were that they pretty much only succeeded in having boobies bouncing in real-time. Whoopie. :P

insane_cobra 01-09-2007 04:29 AM

Like Ben would surely say if he was still around (we miss you, chap!), purely motion capture based animation can never yield better results than skillful animators doing things by hand.

samIamsad 01-09-2007 05:09 AM

If it doesn't have to be as close to photo-realism:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHmt7Yxh4E0

Hey, I played that last year and that scene really got me. Although the Japanese have always been kinda heavy on their characters, it's still astonishing what seemingly basic animations like these can convey... No, in fact not at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjko
My impressions were that they pretty much only succeeded in having boobies bouncing in real-time. Whoopie.

Damn, I still need a copy. The boobies in Lula just aren't subtle enough. :P

Gabe 01-15-2007 01:17 PM

Just Heavy Rain,how about any other future releases,isnt that the same
mocap ,is that really so costly,why is using so rare or primitive level?

Eye-Z 01-16-2007 10:25 AM

Max Payne excells in this area, HL2 a close second

bigjko 01-16-2007 11:28 AM

Max Payne 2, you mean? The first one wasn't anything special in this specific category, if I remember correctly.

Which reminds me, Alex Wake might be worth checking out. That game really needs to have good animations, if the whole realistic enviroment thing isn't going to fail.

Melanie68 01-16-2007 12:01 PM

psst, I think it's Alan Wake. :)

insane_cobra 01-16-2007 12:06 PM

Mel is right. I didn't find facial animation in either Max Payne game that special, but to each his own.

Eureka 01-16-2007 08:48 PM

Of course it wasn't special...facial expressions in Max Panye didn't change...[I]ever.[I] They were just facemaps of real people.

I thought it was pretty good in Oblivion...

Intrepid Homoludens 01-16-2007 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjko (Post 379586)
Heavy Rain looks more like a game trying to be like a movie.

And is there anything wrong with that, especially if David Cage and his team are working on as good a quality as they can?

After all, with due respect to your preferences, not every game can, and more importantly should, try to be like HL2, particularly if the designer has a very strong vision he wants to convey.

insane_cobra 01-17-2007 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eureka (Post 381996)
Of course it wasn't special...facial expressions in Max Panye didn't change...[I]ever.[I] They were just facemaps of real people.

You're right about the first one, but not in Max Payne 2 they weren't, it had a proper facial animation system in place.

Eureka 01-17-2007 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 382006)
And is there anything wrong with that, especially if David Cage and his team are working on as good a quality as they can?

After all, with due respect to your preferences, not every game can, and more importantly should, try to be like HL2, particularly if the designer has a very strong vision he wants to convey.

Yes there is something wrong with that. Who the hell wants to pay $60 to watch a movie?

And I don't care about the director's "vision," I want to play a fun and interesting game. Every game should strive to be like HL2 because it was a fun game.

Intrepid Homoludens 01-17-2007 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eureka (Post 382066)
Yes there is something wrong with that. Who the hell wants to pay $60 to watch a movie?

Did I or anyone say it was going to be a movie? None of us here knows exactly how this GAME is supposed to play so whatever labels we spit out for it now is nothing but speculation before we find out more. bigjko knows as little about it as you or I or anyone else does at this moment.

Quote:

And I don't care about the director's "vision," I want to play a fun and interesting game. Every game should strive to be like HL2 because it was a fun game.
That's quite an unintelligent blanket statement. I could say that every movie should strive to be like Titanic or Lord of The Rings, but where would that get me, eh, besides being lumped next to you? You're entitled to your own opinion, of course (not that I'd take it seriously). I'll snicker, though.

Anyway, please find someone else to argue with, I've better things to do.

Eureka 01-17-2007 12:05 PM

You always gets bitchy and defensive when somebody disagrees with you. You've got quite the ego problem.

Melanie68 01-17-2007 12:07 PM

Eureka, this is not the place to discuss each others' personalities (and/or your perception of them). :shifty:

If you need (or want) to continue the conversation, do so privately. Thanks.

Intrepid Homoludens 01-17-2007 12:11 PM

No, I have a problem with how you post your disagreements with me, Eureka. I would've replied in a more gentle tone if you had also. I trust you're a very nice fellow and I would love to discuss topics with you but why is it you're always posting so defensively yourself? That makes me feel like I'd have to be defensive myself. How would I know you don't mean any harm when we're not in the same room and all I have to work with are the words you write? Words like 'who the hell' or 'I don't care' could be taken as less aggressive if I saw that you had a shrug and a smile on your face and I would understand, but I can't see that in an online forum - if you're smiling.

If you'd take some time to look me up here you'll find I'm actually a reasonably good forum member, not perfect, but I am well liked (I've been here for over five years). So please, no more misunderstandings? Thank you.

And sorry, mods, for this. I'm just trying to clear the air.

Melanie68 01-17-2007 12:15 PM

And that will be the last word publicly. Continue in private if need be.

Intrepid Homoludens 01-17-2007 12:18 PM

Thanks, Melsie.

Gabe 01-17-2007 01:25 PM

In hl2 epi 1 when turn your flashlight to Alyx 's face she covers her eyes with hands,thats the smartest animation ever:D

Eureka 01-17-2007 01:26 PM

Is the engine from ep 1 different from HL2?

Gabe 01-17-2007 01:31 PM

Same source,comes with hdr ?

Catbert 01-20-2007 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68 (Post 382186)
And that will be the last word publicly. Continue in private if need be.

Party pooper :P

I'm kind of tired of games trying to be movies. I read somewhere that during the 90s movies tried to be videogames and in the 2000s games try to be like movies. It's just plain sad. Games will never be movies and vice-versa. I get a bigger kick from playing old stuff like Fallout or something like that than games like Call of Duty that just try too hard to be like Enemy at the Gates or Saving Private Ryan.

However, if you look at examples such as Half-Life 2, you can see that these two worlds are perfectly manageable if you keep it fun and not too obvious. Half-Life 2 managed this because the new effects fit perfectly into the game. Grenades blowing next to you make you go deaf. Ok, we saw that on SPR, but it's not too flashy, it fits well. I want that. MORE

Gabe 01-25-2007 12:57 AM

Well,Fahrenheit better than TES4(maybe more cartoonish sometimes but
conveying emos better)

bigjko 01-25-2007 06:09 AM

Intrepid, looking back at my quote I see that I worded it poorly. Or maybe I have forgotten what I meant back then and have a different opinion now.. :P

But I think Heavy Rain video is a pretty unrealistic expectation of what a game could be. A scene like that requires tremendous amount of work and most of that work would go unseen in a game, given that the player can wander around freely (although that doesn't have to be the case, aka cutscenes.)

I'm mostly afraid that they'll have to make a compromise in interactivity for this kind of cinematic quality. Altough I could be totally wrong.

As for Half-Life 2, by no means should every game be like that. Especially not if they're trying to aim higher, like Heavy Rain. But in reality, I think the HL2 way (subtle, yet effective) is more cost efficient, as boring as that word may sound when trying to be immersive in gaming. :P

Intrepid Homoludens 01-25-2007 09:58 AM

Considering that so far we have very, very little information about Heavy Rain other than the claim that the NPC emotions happen in real time, I'm working on speculation, hence my thoughts on it will change the more info we get.

If I'm right it may work a little similarly to Facade, where the characters gauge your decisions, dialogue selections, and actions and react accordingly on the fly (though it might not be as sophisticated as Facade, especially if the game's length, depth, and complexity of plot and interactivity figure in). Given that, it's probably more feasible to think about it not in terms of subtlety, but more in terms of character interaction, depth, and intensity of emotions.

bigjko 01-25-2007 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 384736)
Considering that so far we have very, very little information about Heavy Rain other than the claim that the NPC emotions happen in real time, I'm working on speculation, hence my thoughts on it will change the more info we get.

If I'm right it may work a little similarly to Facade, where the characters gauge your decisions, dialogue selections, and actions and react accordingly on the fly (though it might not be as sophisticated as Facade, especially if the game's length, depth, and complexity of plot and interactivity figure in). Given that, it's probably more feasible to think about it not in terms of subtlety, but more in terms of character interaction, depth, and intensity of emotions.

Wow, I didn't actually realize they meant the emotions were generated in real-time. I thought they meant that everything in the video was, boringly enough, shown in real-time. This sounds infinately more interesting the way you describe it.

I'm trying to imagine how this is possible but I'm having trouble with that, as I'm no game designer. But it's an exciting thought.

insane_cobra 01-25-2007 11:34 AM

That's slowly becoming the next big thing in facial animation. The first middleware solutions are already becoming available and companies like Image Metrics are offering similar services.

Eureka 01-26-2007 01:17 AM

Ya know what really pisses me off?! THIS! Ok, i'll tell you. Remember in Morrowind when you would run around neeeked and talk to people and they would comment on how you should put clothes on and make disgusted faces? It's completely GONE in Oblivion. They don't give a $)%* if you're naked or not. Damn hippy Elves.

Catbert 01-26-2007 03:23 AM

What exactly does "real-time emotions" mean? I don't think there's such a thing as that. We'd have to have real interpretive AI with the capacity to make decisions and show emotions to have that, wouldn't we? :P

Intrepid Homoludens 01-26-2007 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catbert (Post 384974)
What exactly does "real-time emotions" mean? I don't think there's such a thing as that. We'd have to have real interpretive AI with the capacity to make decisions and show emotions to have that, wouldn't we? :P

Where have you been? Click on the links that cobsie posted above, and go play Facade. It's HAPPENING NOW, and there's steady progress being made, so stick that tongue back in. ;)

Catbert 01-26-2007 10:36 AM

I played Façade. As much as we want it to be reactive gameplay they still only react to what you type in. It's a text adventure mixed with graphics. I didn't understand why everyone got so caught up on it, honestly.

Intrepid Homoludens 01-26-2007 11:06 AM

:) Look, Catbert. Why don't you sit down with the developers and ask them why the most advanced A.I. and facial expressions in commercial computer games aren't as sophisticated as YOU want them to be? And they'll tell you that your computer, which you bought at a store, no matter how bleeding edge and up to date it may be, CANNOT HANDLE your wildest dreams for the next several years, at least.

Please be easy on them, they're working on it, okay? ;)