Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/18273-dark-messiah-might-magic.html)

RLacey 12-26-2006 01:11 PM

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

I really enjoyed the demo, which is why I asked for a copy of this for Christmas.

I can't recommend buying it at the moment. The full game crashes all the time on my computer (even on levels that are the same as in the demo, which worked perfectly). In fact, I've yet to make it past the tutorial.

Ho hum. And I've registered the thing with Steam, so it's going to be a whole load of hassle if I end up taking it back.

kuze 12-26-2006 01:38 PM

I've a couple of friends who are playing the game and I never heard them complain. Are you sure you are not missing a patch or something?

RLacey 12-26-2006 03:50 PM

I've finally fixed most of the problems after a day of tinkering with settings. It's had some problems with Geforce 6800s and what-not, apparently.

Anyway, it seems fun.

Dasilva 12-26-2006 04:49 PM

For some reason my PC will make Dark MEssiah & Half Life 2 crash, its very annoying. I tried everything and cant get any of those games to work without crashing after 2 minutes.

I seriously need my own PC back.

JemyM 12-27-2006 12:41 AM

Only problem I had throughout DMoMM was the "friendly" AI in Chapter 7. I died more from friendly guards/priests than I did from enemies, since they turn on you for the slightest offense, and it's near impossible to avoid it since even a kick or spell against a monster standing next to one of them is enough to make them believe you are attacking them, not the monster. I was prepared to stop playing right there.

samIamsad 12-27-2006 07:57 AM

My rig isn't up to it. Oh, bets if RLacey will *ever* finish *this* game (or NOT), bugs or no bugs, can still be placed. :D *runs*

RLacey 12-27-2006 08:24 AM

And it's stopped working again.

Basically, this game is at present screwed if you have a Geforce 6800. Just my luck :shifty:.

mrdriller 12-27-2006 10:45 AM

It sounds weird, but I have a 6800GT and DMoMM has never crashed on me yet. The multiplayer has crashed a couple times, but the SP never did. Sucks that you're having problems though, the game is pretty fun when it works.

RLacey 12-27-2006 11:10 AM

I can get it working intermittently, and what I've played is great fun. But I'm seriously hoping that Arkane and nVidia manage to fix this between them (both of them have stated that there's a problem).

jedicri 12-28-2006 05:47 PM

I have a 6800 myself and have finished the game with some hiccups along the way.

I bought the retail game but also registered it in order to download the patches from Steam.

RLacey 12-29-2006 05:39 AM

I have the retail version, but I actually play the Steam version so that I can avoid having to have the disc in the drive.

jedicri 12-31-2006 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey (Post 376871)
I have the retail version, but I actually play the Steam version so that I can avoid having to have the disc in the drive.

Yup, I did that too.

RLacey 01-01-2007 04:21 AM

Yay, I can get it working!

In a low resolution with all of the advanced video and audio options set to minimum. And after defragmenting my hard drive. And with a reboot directly before playing. But hey, it's playable, even if it does now look like a three-year-old game.

Dasilva 01-01-2007 04:30 AM

So the STEAM version is bug free/er?

jedicri 01-02-2007 08:21 AM

Honestly, I'm not sure if it was more bug free since the game sometimes hung; therefore I had to end the program and start it up again but these were few and far between. I just made sure I saved often so I needn't play over certain parts of the game.

It is an enjoyable game.

This also is from tech support regarding improving gameplay performance:

Performance Recommendation
If your video card has less than 512 MB of memory, please try using the mat_picmip 1 console command to improve game performance (please see the console FAQ if you are unfamiliar with using console commands).

If this performance recommendation helps with issues in Dark Messiah you may wish to add it to your configuration file so you will not need to enter it into the console when loading Dark Messiah:

1.) Exit Dark Messiah
2.) Locate the Dark Messiah configuration file:
C: \Program Files\Steam\steamapps\< Your Steam Account Name >\dark messiah might and magic single player\mm\cfg\config.cfg (With a default installation)
3.) Open the file in Notepad and add mat_picmip "1" on a new line at the end of the file
4.) Save the file to permanently save this setting

RLacey 01-02-2007 12:21 PM

I believe you'll find that all that setting does is make the game use Medium textures.

I still can't get into a MP game, but I'm not too worried about that at the moment.

Lunatik 01-08-2007 07:04 PM

The game crashed on my system 2 or 3 times but I was able to finish it, and I absolutely loved it. I actually finished it using the 1.01 update, but I'm planning to play again using the newest 1.02 update and see what happens.

For some reason, the gameplay reminded me of King's Quest: Mask of Eternity, which I loved. Part medieval action, part RPG, really cool stuff!

Ninja Dodo 02-11-2007 12:40 AM

I couldn't get the CD version to even start at all, but I registered on Steam, downloaded it and haven't had a single problem since.

I'm enjoying it so far. It's a pity what puzzles it has are immediately explained by either Leanna or Xana, but it shines in the combat. Some of it is perhaps a bit staged - one wonders why there are so many spikes on the walls - but it's really fun to experiment with... freezing the floor to make enemies slip, throwing highly flammable lamp oil everywhere followed by the flame spell, breaking barrels over orc heads, triggering avalanches of stuff by strategically breaking a support here or there, sweeping goblins off a bridge with a wooden staff, etc. Stealth works pretty well too. You can sneak up to enemies with a dagger or take them out with a well-aimed arrow at a distance. The RPG aspect is flexible enough that you can dabble in most disciplines.

RLacey 02-11-2007 06:09 AM

I'm now waiting until I upgrade the RAM on my new computer. I don't even want to try playing this with only 512MB...

It's good to hear that you're enjoying it. There is certainly a good game here :).

wilco 02-11-2007 07:32 AM

I'm playing it now and I was extremely lucky to find that it works great on my machine, not found any of those bugs...

The game is really fun, it has tons of different combat options. One thing I found really impressive is that it really "feels" like you´re swinging the sword, running, climbing stairs or even taking a hit, not very usual for a FPS... One thing I wish it did have was different direct combat options (like the different kicks in FEAR).