You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General PC Games 2007 (this post rocks)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2006, 02:52 AM   #21
FlipFrame

...Farcry 2? Here I thought I was on top of like everything games, and assuming its correct, I heard absolutely nothing about this. Isn't the entirety of Crytek on Crysis (boy I dislike that name)? This stood out primarily for the African looking setting in the concept art, which is pretty exciting sounding, and when you imagine that using their latest tech...drool worthy.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:21 AM   #22
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG View Post
...Farcry 2? Here I thought I was on top of like everything games, and assuming its correct, I heard absolutely nothing about this. Isn't the entirety of Crytek on Crysis (boy I dislike that name)?
Yes, but Crytek won't be developing FarCry 2. FarCry intellectual property is in Ubisoft's hands so it's safe to assume they'll be developing the sequel themselves.

It hasn't been officially announced yet, but some info was leaked out.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:33 AM   #23
FlipFrame

Yea I just did my homework... and came up with this as well.

Man, concept art like that is terribly inspiring, and considering that Ubi did the Xbox (1) version of Farcry and that I liked it BETTER than the PC version, I have no problems with Crytek not being a part of the creation. Very exciting...

Later bud.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:05 AM   #24
Vigilant

I'll agree with you on a level, SamIamSad, that some of these games look way too similar. You know as well as I that when one game hits it big, the rest will want to ride the wave to success. I do see some RPGs/hybrids (I believe that is the genre you were addressing when you made a comment) that I have either been observing for the past year or so and for good reason that are also included on this list. Here are a few:

Silverfall, The Witcher, Seeker, Dragon Age, Age of Conan, Tabula Rasa, Huxley

Looks can be decieving when it comes to games, especially when one gets caught up in finding the best graphically enhanced game rather than the best game. The ones above looked pretty and have some clout to back them up.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:54 AM   #25
Homer of Kittens

Far Cry was beautiful but the gameplay was really boring. If Crysis or Far Cry 2 are anything like it, than I'm not interested. I am not sure if the guys at Crytek can pull out good gameplay to accompany the pretty graphics. Id software also currently falls into this rut of making beautiful engines for subpar games.

The only exclusive games I'm interested in this long list of games are Supreme Commander, Dragon Age, and Spore. Too bad that it costs the price of a used car now to play them. The rest like Alan Wake or Bioshock are coming to 360 which I already own.

Firefox rules
Old 12-20-2006, 10:32 AM   #26

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

I loved the gameplay in Far Cry. It was more of a free-roaming experience that wasnt as painfully linear as first person shooters are. In fact, it was probably the most enjoyable first person shooter I played.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:46 AM   #27
Homer of Kittens

I found Far Cry frustrating how you get shot at out of no where. It seemed unfair in that respect. Some people though called it brilliant AI so to each his own

Firefox rules
Old 12-20-2006, 11:46 AM   #28
FlipFrame

...actually it is very good, up there with HL and FEAR. One of my fondest memories of Farcry PC was being on a slight hill in tall grass relatively devoid of trees, looking down on a compound. Taking a few pot shots, the mercs started to fan out on their search, and being reluctant to pop my head up I crawled back the best I could to get out of their search vector. I stopped when I felt it was clear as I didn't hear footsteps or talking until one shouted "Here he is...found him!". When I popped up to bolt, I was flanked on three sides...very nice.

Good AI is about making the player feel like the NPC's are responding to stimuli in a way we understand and believe. Thief's "AI" was actually quite crude, but felt far more compelling in the way it responded to changes to the environment, making them 'feel' more real.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:57 PM   #29
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG View Post
Good AI is about making the player feel like the NPC's are responding to stimuli in a way we understand and believe. Thief's "AI" was actually quite crude, but felt far more compelling in the way it responded to changes to the environment, making them 'feel' more real.
Yay, my crappy PC running a copy of "The Metal Age" owns you all. That said, all AIs are quite crude. They don't have all that much to do with what science refers to as AI. What game developers have been doing is to code a bunch of static routines, some if-then(-else) conditions cobbled together. Or just more or less a route of scripts to follow.

Yes, games' AIs in and on themselves are indeed quite crude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangentBlack View Post
I'll agree with you on a level, SamIamSad, that some of these games look way too similar. You know as well as I that when one game hits it big, the rest will want to ride the wave to success.
Well, the thing is, I don't understand at all. There are so many games on this list that seem to be essentially the absolute same thing. It's not that this would be a new trend. But are there enough bread crumbs left worth sharing? For most of these titles not, I suppose. But since games making is a relatively risky thing anyway...

Last edited by samIamsad; 12-22-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:11 PM   #30
Vigilant

With Tabula Rasa and Huxley, I see a rise of a new FPS/RPG MMORPG that I am suprised has not picked up much popularity. Perhaps it is because there have not been any good games of the genre, but I feel that these two might be groundbreaking in their own ways. I am not quite sure if I know what you are looking for in an innovative game, but I do sympathize with the fact that you feel the gaming community is recieving a few to many stereotypical cookie cutter games. As I am sure you do as well, I like to look for obscure independent gaming companies to fuel my interest. I can always count on hearing about the first party games from multiple sources as they get a plethora of advertisment, but one must keep vigilant of games that fly under the radar.

Often enough, however, the third parties gain so much spotlight from the interest they cook up that they look like just another company trying to make a fast buck on the big wave of video gaming. It can be difficult to filter the good and the bad using screenshots as a primary guide, but like I said, looks are most definetly decieving.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:25 PM   #31
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
Yay, my crappy PC running a copy of "The Metal Age" owns you all. That said, all AIs are quite crude. They don't have all that much to do with what science refers to as AI. What game developers have been doing is to code a bunch of static routines, some if-then(-else) conditions cobbled together. Or just more or less a route of scripts to follow.

Yes, games' AIs in and on themselves are indeed quite crude.

Well of course....relatively speaking. I dont think anyone compares an NPC's "AI" to the actual field of A.I. research.

...its just the vernacular...

Cheers