You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General where to buy games in Europe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2006, 02:13 PM   #1

Default where to buy games in Europe?

Does anyone have suggestions on where to purchase games in Europe, Ireland to be specific? I will be travelling around Europe, but living near Dublin beginning in January. I don't know how long I'll be living there for sure, it's work related, but I don't want to wait until I get back in the States to purchase some of the games coming out next year. I only saw one place that sold games near Dublin last week when I was there, and it was 55 Euro for the newest Broken Sword! Is this a typical price for new games? I expected everything to be more expensive, but that was just too rich for me.

thanks for any information!

gyneth
Old 11-22-2006, 02:46 PM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

55 Euro seems right for a new game. Matches swedish prices.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:10 PM   #3

HI

Yes, 55 Euros seems pretty right. To get the value in Danish Crowns, you need to multiply buy about 8, so the game will cost about 420 kr. in Denmark.

However, there seems in Denmark, to be a breaking point about the 400 kroner mark, so most games usually ends up sellling for about 399 Danish Kroner (which is = 49,99 €, Euros). (or about 60-65 $).

aries323
Old 11-23-2006, 07:08 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you who responded. I'm not used to paying more than 50 USD when most games first come out, so it seemed high to me. I guess I just won't be spending as much time gaming next year!

gyneth
Old 11-26-2006, 04:14 AM   #5
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

I've used play.com for a long time now. I think online shops drop their prices much faster than flesh-and-blood stores, which seem like bloody cartels.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:34 AM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.froz View Post
Thanks to both of you who responded. I'm not used to paying more than 50 USD when most games first come out, so it seemed high to me. I guess I just won't be spending as much time gaming next year!
No wonder piracy is high in Europe. Not to mention we get most games in a cheap DVD folder and a reduced manual instead of a real box. The NWN2 manual was a good example. We got 3-4 pages in 5 languages when the americans got a small booklet with +40 pages.

One legal alternative you can look closer at is Direct2Drive. $49.95 still seems expensive for a game without box but you wont need to bother about the CD Protection hassle.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

This one is an old thread, but anyways... www.play.com is the best place for European customers. Very cheap prices almost always when compared to local prices.

And FREE SHIPPING!
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:05 PM   #8
gin soaked boy

Sendit.com is supposedly good, too.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #9
capsized.

Are games really that expensive up there? Not even EA games cost 55 bucks over here (in fact, more like 45). Most new releases cost less than that. PS: I could place an amazon order for the new Broken Sword, which would cost me a little less than 45 Euros. This includes shipping.

Er, we *are* talking about the price of games for systems running Microsoft Windows® (read: your generic PC platform, and no console system, either) here, right?

Last edited by samIamsad; 12-27-2006 at 03:26 PM.