Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Sony's launch titles (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/17482-sonys-launch-titles.html)

SoccerDude28 10-20-2006 08:12 AM

Sony's launch titles

SCEA Launch Titles:
Resistance: Fall of Man
NBA 07
Genji: Days of the Blade

Third-Party Publisher Titles:
Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWII / Ubisoft
Call of Duty 3 / Activision
EA Sports Fight Night Round 3 / Electronic Arts
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion / Bethesda Softworks
F.E.A.R. / Vivendi Universal Games
Full Auto 2: Battlelines / Sega
Madden NFL 07 / Electronic Arts
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance / Activision
Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire / Namco Bandai Games
NBA 2K7 / 2K Sports
Need For Speed Carbon / Electronic Arts
NHL 2K7 / 2K Sports
Ridge Racer 7 / Namco Bandai Games
Sonic the Hedgehog / Sega
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 / Electronic Arts
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas / Ubisoft
Tony Hawk's Project 8 / Activision
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom / Sony Online Entertainment

Pretty good lineup, but a few of these games have been released on other platforms already. But just like the 360's launch up, there is nothing there that will make me want to buy the PS3. The good games I'm excited about will be released sometime next year.

VictimOfScience 10-20-2006 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 (Post 355537)
The good games I'm excited about will be released sometime next year.

Same here except I am a huge fan of Motorstorm, so it will be hard not having it, but I can wait. There's too much DS goodness coming out soon for me to worry about the next-gen just yet!!!

insane_cobra 10-20-2006 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 (Post 355537)
Pretty good lineup, but a few of these games have been released on other platforms already.

If "a few" means "practically all third party releases", then yes. But it's a decent launch lineup (or, more correctly, launch period lineup - not all of those would be available from day one), those who have already decided they wanted a PS3 should be pleased. I just don't see it attracting many undecided buyers.

Intrepid Homoludens 10-20-2006 11:48 AM

:) That's a reasonably good launch period lineup. The sports titles should boost interest for the console.

:( HOWEVER, the fact that Sony seriously lessened the amount of available consoles at launch will definitely prevent them from selling their original projected number of units. That'll cost them, because those lost sales may be snapped up by Microsoft. Many of those third party titles are/will be available on the X360. I'm predicting that those customers, after purchasing an X360, would rather wait a long while til the PS3 drops in price to get one.

wilco 10-20-2006 01:46 PM

These are also lauch games, downloadable lauch games :) :

Flow
Blast Factor (Geometry Wars clone)
Go! Sudoku!
Criminal Crackdown (by David Gaffe)
Lemmings 2
Go! Swizzleblock2

insane_cobra 10-20-2006 02:13 PM

Not only have they grossly lessened the amount of available consoles at launch, but now they're not even certain if they'll be able to hit those targets. It better not mean another PAL region delay.

Dasilva 10-21-2006 05:57 AM

Thats actually a pretty iffy launch compared to the Wii & 360. Theres only bland sport titles and a HL2 clone. :P

RLacey 10-21-2006 06:28 AM

... and a classic RPG, a platform game, a new Tony Hawk's and the ever-popular Tom Clancy.

It's not a great set of launch titles by any means - I'm not seeing the killer, essential title - but I also don't think it's as pathetic as some others do. There's a reasonable amount of variety there.

Dasilva 10-21-2006 07:25 AM

Well over half those titles are out for other platforms, and the exclusives dont look that good.

wilco 10-21-2006 08:13 AM

Resistance looks like it could be the killer title.
Is has an original setting, great graphics, lots of weapons and 40 player online combats.
Probably the title everyone is getting at lauch.

RLacey 10-21-2006 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasilva (Post 355815)
Well over half those titles are out for other platforms, and the exclusives dont look that good.

Hence the lack of a killer, essential title. The games that are being ported from other platforms appear to be good ones, though, so it's not as if the system won't have any games worth playing on it.

RLacey 10-21-2006 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilco (Post 355823)
Resistance looks like it could be the killer title.
Is has an original setting, great graphics, lots of weapons and 40 player online combats.
Probably the title everyone is getting at lauch.

Possibly. To my shame (since for some reason I try to read about games even when I'm never going to play them) I don't think that I know anything about the game.

Lucien21 10-21-2006 09:01 AM

Resistance is the only one I could see from that list that I would consider at launch and i'm not that excited about it. (Just another FPS game)

The others will be out on the 360 before the PS3 lauches over here and will probably get the 360 versions of Call of Duty 3 and Rainbow 6 Vegas which are the only other ones that interest me.

wilco 10-21-2006 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey (Post 355830)
Possibly. To my shame (since for some reason I try to read about games even when I'm never going to play them) I don't think that I know anything about the game.

It's FPS set in an alternate reality that involves aliens? taking over Europe. It's still too early to say if it wil only be a "bad Call of Duty with aliens" like some people have been calling it.

But the variety of weapons available and the scale of the multiplayer (I don't think it's usual on consoles) might set it apart from others.

If someone would give me a PS3 that would be the only game I would be interested for launch :) ,of course I already played Elder Scrolls IV and FEAR on PC, those are also great lauch games.

The Europe launch seems to be much better if Lair, Motorstorm and Heavenly Sword make it on time.

SoccerDude28 10-21-2006 12:13 PM

The bottom line is that probably, 90% of the games going forward will be multi-platform third party games, because of the high costs of manufacturing that Trep has mentioned several times before. So really, which console you buy now boils down to first party games and preference. Who would have imagined 6 months ago that Oblivion was going to resurface on the PS3? Or that Assassin's creed will be a 360 game as well. Or that FEAR will be first on the 360 than the PS3, or that even Half Life 2's episodic content will be available for everyone. Or now, as the rumors are saying, the extra exclusive episodes of GTA are coming to the PS3 as well?

insane_cobra 10-22-2006 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 (Post 355890)
Who would have imagined 6 months ago that Oblivion was going to resurface on the PS3?

Me.

Quote:

Or that Assassin's creed will be a 360 game as well.
Me again. I've been saying that all along since it was confirmed for Xbox 360 on X05, while it was still known as Project Assassins.

Quote:

Or that FEAR will be first on the 360 than the PS3, or that even Half Life 2's episodic content will be available for everyone.
Not me. :)

Quote:

Or now, as the rumors are saying, the extra exclusive episodes of GTA are coming to the PS3 as well?
Not the same episodes, though, so they are exclusive. That's also been predicted.