You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General What imagination!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2004, 05:45 PM   #1
Umbilicus Mundi

Default What imagination!

There's a game about the Knights Templar and it's titled...

Knights of the Temple :eek:
http://www.knightsofthetemple.com/

Is it me or does this sound incredibly lame and unimaginative?

"Paul, a young, newly initiated Templar knights finds upon him the tough task of starting a mission to uncover the Evil Conspiracy, to interrupt the Unholy Circle and to prevent the Evil Bishop from fulfilling his plan. Only by saving Adelle can he save the world form Evil."

Oh, and what a cool way to use uppercase. Evil Conspiracy, Unholy Circle, Evil Bishop. Oh please.

Old 01-18-2004, 06:35 PM   #2
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Wow. This Game will surely Rock Harder than my Grandma on Tuesday Nights.

Yes, that is sarcasm. And yes, I used uppercase letters intentionally. And yes, I realize this is dumb.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:16 AM   #3
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

If the evil concpiracy is a bunch of game designers who write games about the Knights of the Temple, I can understand it.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 01-19-2004, 09:30 AM   #4

Ooh! I can see it now! An evil conspiracy to deaden gamers' imaginations and continually lower their expectations by constantly releasing the same rehashed scenario over and over, until their brains are turned into mush, wherupon said games designers can TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!

Ingenious, rags. Therefore, it is our duty to do our part towards saving the world from this unspeakable evil by not playing the games.

Indeed.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:36 AM   #5
Knowledgeable

You got the gist, Tamz.

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 01-19-2004, 11:58 AM   #6
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Well, the conspiracy part actually makes sense if that's the plot they're going with. After all, if you have a story about the Templars it pretty much has to be a conspiracy story. It's not as if the Templars do anything else.

Although, this one does look pretty lame. It's weird, but as the rest of you have pointed out, there seems to be an unusually large number of (mostly bad) games about the Templars. Broken Sword 1 and Gabriel Knight 3 were good Templar games, but those seem to be the only exceptions. I've seen some really dumb ones. It's a shame too, because the Templars give you a really good bad guy to work with. You'd think that they'd be able to come up with some more creative stuff.

mag
Old 01-19-2004, 01:51 PM   #7
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Why doesn't someone make a game about Robespierre or Rasputin? or Genghis Khan? Oh, well, maybe they have, and I've just not seen it.

FGM
Old 01-20-2004, 02:44 AM   #8
Knowledgeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Well, the conspiracy part actually makes sense if that's the plot they're going with. After all, if you have a story about the Templars it pretty much has to be a conspiracy story. It's not as if the Templars do anything else.
The only Templar game I would like to play right now is one with more historically correct Templars, where you go around protecting pilgrims in Israel and things like that.
Quote:
Although, this one does look pretty lame. It's weird, but as the rest of you have pointed out, there seems to be an unusually large number of (mostly bad) games about the Templars. Broken Sword 1 and Gabriel Knight 3 were good Templar games, but those seem to be the only exceptions. I've seen some really dumb ones. It's a shame too, because the Templars give you a really good bad guy to work with. You'd think that they'd be able to come up with some more creative stuff.

mag
Deus Ex is also a Templar game (even if they changed their name to Illuminati).

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 01-20-2004, 04:48 AM   #9
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

The Illuminati most definitely are NOT the same as the Knights Templar. Play Deus Ex: Invisible War to find out...
Old 01-20-2004, 06:31 AM   #10
mag

Quote:
Originally posted by ragnar

The only Templar game I would like to play right now is one with more historically correct Templars, where you go around protecting pilgrims in Israel and things like that.
I would have to check my history books again to be certain of the details, but as I understand it that was only the Templars stated mission. They didn't really seem to do a whole lot of that. And they were into all kinds of funky conspiracy type stuff on the side.

Although, I agree that it would be cool to see some really good historically accurate games about the Middle Ages. None of this bishop/king/whatever possessed by demons crap. Just good old fashion Crusades era action.

mag
Old 01-20-2004, 06:38 AM   #11
Knowledgeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
I would have to check my history books again to be certain of the details, but as I understand it that was only the Templars stated mission. They didn't really seem to do a whole lot of that. And they were into all kinds of funky conspiracy type stuff on the side.
If that is what history book says, I'd change the history book.

They certainly did a lot of other things, but they started out as guards for pilgrims in the holy country. They grew in power and ran a large part of the economy there. They were the first bankers, etc. But any big conspiracies I've never heard any serious historian mention (except that they probably conspired to gain more power, but that's no difference from anyone else in this period). Their secrecy and in the way they were tortured to admit praying to heaten gods are the probably the reasons for the myths surrounding them.

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 01-20-2004, 07:07 AM   #12
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Why doesn't someone make a game about Robespierre or Rasputin? or Genghis Khan? Oh, well, maybe they have, and I've just not seen it.
http://www.absurdus.net

Though that's not exactly historical
Old 01-20-2004, 07:41 AM   #13
mag

Quote:
Originally posted by ragnar

But any big conspiracies I've never heard any serious historian mention (except that they probably conspired to gain more power, but that's no difference from anyone else in this period). Their secrecy and in the way they were tortured to admit praying to heaten gods are the probably the reasons for the myths surrounding them.
Well, when I say conspiracies I'm not necessarily talking about Roswell alien type stuff. They just wanted power. And they seemed a lot more interested in that than they ever did in helping pilgrims, even though as you point out that was supposed to be the reason they were created.

mag