You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2006, 09:48 AM   #21
Banned User

Yay. Another whackass Japanese game. What?! I get to fight huge fish?! ALRIGHT!
Old 09-22-2006, 10:04 AM   #22
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I already have a 360, but I've only got 5 games on the 360 and I probably wont be getting that many more due to high prices. The ones Im getting are:

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Alan Wake
BioShock
F.E.A.R. 360
F.E.A.R. 2 (working title)
Fable 2
Golden Axe
Halo 3
Half Life 2 + Episodes 1 & 2 + TF2 + Portal
Lost Odyssey
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Resident Evil 5
Sonic the Hedgehog
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent
Too Human

Thats probably going to be all the games I'll ever get for the 360 until late 2007. But as most of you know those games are pretty well spread release date wise, so I thought a PS2 might come in handy. =p

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 09-22-2006, 10:18 AM   #23
is not wierd

That's a lot of games, though.

That's probably comparable (I probably have at most ten more than that) to how many games I have for the PS2 total (and I've had the PS2 since around when it came out).
Old 09-23-2006, 12:38 PM   #24
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash View Post
Yay. Another whackass Japanese game. What?! I get to fight huge fish?! ALRIGHT!
Did you ever play Knights of the Old Republic? In that game, you get to TALK to huge fish, but that didn't make it less of a great game. Or let's see, ummm the movie Star Wars 3 (from the old trilogy), where you land on a planet inhabitted by teddy bears. You should really try something before passing your own personal bias against them just because they belong to a different culture.

Firefox rules
Old 09-23-2006, 06:17 PM   #25
is not wierd

Or Psychonauts. Liiiiinnnnnndddaaa.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:22 PM   #26

I just got this and I must say it is the most breathtaking game I have ever played. No other game sports as unique an art style as this. The celestial brush gameplay mechanic too is just amazing to witness. The first time you use it to slash through a barrier of huge logs is an experience you won't soon forget. Using it to fight enemies is loads of fun as well! The music is beautiful too combining traditional Japanese folk music with subtle orchestral ambience. All-in-all, a beautifully realized game that is as rich with story as it is with mind-blowing art direction.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:51 PM   #27
Homer of Kittens

I just bought Okami as well. The game is selling for only 39.99 at Target (which is a bargain if you consider the 59.99 price point of new next gen games). The game is breathtaking to say the least, and I've never seen anything as beautiful in a video game. It also seems to hold a lot of amazing gameplay under all this gorgeous graphics. Like VictimOfScience says, the brush is not a gimmick but a very fun gameplay element for fighting as well as puzzle solving. The story is rich in Japanese mythology with a strong theme about nature and life (you play as a wolf spreading green wherever you go). My only complaint about it so far is the huge amount of text you have to read. I wish there were voice overs in the game. I really recommend everyone (including Saksquash ) to give this game a try.

Firefox rules
Old 09-26-2006, 07:30 AM   #28
Homer of Kittens

Wow and I mean WOW. This game is getting better and better the more I play it. There is nothing more satisfying than seeing a whole lot of green grow where a dark patch of evil used to be. This game is about spreading LIFE, it is about beauty, and it is ART. It is about culture and about nature and mythology. It is also very funny, and Saksquash, so far after playing 4+ hours in it, I haven't fought any fish Seriously, if you are remotely into the legend of Zelda type of gameplay, with the most gorgeous graphics you've ever seen, an epic adventure, and a theme about life, nature and beauty, you ought to do yourself a favor and get Okami.

Firefox rules
Old 03-17-2007, 01:47 PM   #29

Default OKAMI : a breathtaking art masterpiece

I finished this epic yesterday at 4AM with tears streaming down my face, literally. Okami is not a game, it’s a spiritual journey with the sun god.

The sheer amount of gameplay is incredible: worlds to explore, tons of characters, great story (more than 40 hours) and side quests. The world of Okami is almost as big as Final Fantasy XII. The gameplay is perfect and unique. The visuals the first time you use Bloom with the brush is surprising, you really have to see it.

I didn’t care much about Issun (your companion) at the beginning of the game because of his annoying voice but then a lot of stuff happens in the story and you really start to care about him.

I can’t believe this game was a commercial failure. People keep saying they are tired of the same rubbish getting released, they want new and fresh ideas but when it finally comes out, nobody buys it because it looks too strange. Idiots.

The game was so long, you can tell Clover Studios put a lot of work and effort in this game. There are more than 300 pages of concept art in the extras, it’s depressing that they had to close.

I’ve learn so much about Japanese myths and legends through Amaterasu, they should study this game in school, it’s better than any book.

I hope Okami will get a second chance on the Wii.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #30
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_doubtsy View Post
I can’t believe this game was a commercial failure. People keep saying they are tired of the same rubbish getting released, they want new and fresh ideas but when it finally comes out, nobody buys it because it looks too strange. Idiots.
People say they're tired of the "rubbish" being released? Huh- that's not my impression at all. If people thought the rubbish released these days was rubbish, they wouldn't be so content to keep buying it year after year. I think they're perfectly satisfied with what they're getting, because they're getting exactly what they expect and demand. The only people who aren't satisfied with the current games are the sort of people who'd want to buy this game. And they are few indeed.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:55 AM   #31
Hitch-Hiker

Okami & Wii were made for each other. I'm currently stuck in Okami, so Im having some trouble finding a guide.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 03-18-2007, 04:03 AM   #32

Just finished this and LOVED it, I am playing it all over again. My only complaint is you have to sit thru alot of big scenes that you cant fast forward thru,but other than that I think it is a great story, with some very quirky characters.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:13 AM   #33
Hitch-Hiker

Yeah, the only bad thing about Okami is not being able to skip the intro and cutscenes.

_

Old 03-18-2007, 06:59 AM   #34
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_doubtsy View Post

The game was so long, you can tell Clover Studios put a lot of work and effort in this game. There are more than 300 pages of concept art in the extras, it’s depressing that they had to close.
WHAT!?

A gorgeous, innovative, finely-tuned, totally addictive game that got rave reviews, from the creators of the highly admired Viewtiful Joe? And it flops?

No. I will not accept this. In my world, Okami was a hit, and the Clover guys are all millionaires off their stock options.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:59 AM   #35
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Well, it's the same story as Beyond Good & Evil, isn't it. The sales rarely have much to do with the quality of the game. When the sales and the quality match up (a good game getting the sales it deserves, or a bad game getting the sales it deserves), it's a nice coincidence. But you can't count on it.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:08 AM   #36

Game looked great, but I stopped playing after 10 or 12 hours because there were several things that just annoyed me. Not being able to speed up the text, can't skip cutscenes, that stupid annoying little helper that takes all the challenge out of every puzzle in the game, etc. I also think it's too long, the game was just dragging for me.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #37

Journalists keep saying that the industry doesn’t take risks anymore. Games are too violent and mindless. Gamers are always complaining that games today are too short and expensive. They are sick of sequels and the same boring franchises.

Okami is the kind of game that appeals to everybody (Zelda-killer). The quest is huge. Keep in mind that it’s not a RPG where you level up for 30 hours; the unique gameplay is completely story-driven. It’s a 40 hours story. It came out at 40$ (I paid 30$), it got 93% on GameRankings, it’s everything we’ve been asking for and yet it didn’t sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
WHAT!?

A gorgeous, innovative, finely-tuned, totally addictive game that got rave reviews, from the creators of the highly admired Viewtiful Joe? And it flops?

No. I will not accept this. In my world, Okami was a hit, and the Clover guys are all millionaires off their stock options.
The true story is even worse. Clover doesn’t exist anymore. Capcom shut them down because they didn’t sell enough games. They formed a new studio called Seeds. EA is right; keep recycling the same garbage every year if you want to stay in business.

Games like Shadow of the Colossus, Okami and Psychonauts should sell millions.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #38
Hitch-Hiker

The whole industry is just bleh. This industry still needs to mature.

_

Old 03-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #39
gin soaked boy

Yeah, there should be more Tomb Raider games, Dasilva is running out of different editions to buy.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:48 PM   #40
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
Yeah, there should be more Tomb Raider games, Dasilva is running out of different editions to buy.
LMAO!!! Too right, I still need that Saturn version of Tomb Raider.... hmm.

_