Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   'My' game is done! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/1690-my-game-done.html)

Curt 01-17-2004 05:29 AM

Will there be an English version released, Marek? I'm having enough problems learning German at the moment. Dutch would just about tip me over the edge (too many A's - it gets very confusing). ;)

Marek 01-17-2004 06:32 AM

I don't think there will be an English version, since there's a huge categorized list of words hooked up to this game. (For the bit with the tree.) It would be too much data entry to do that again in another language.

However, today the programmers will upload a new version with a new instructions screen that should make some sense even to those who don't understand the language. That way you should be able to complete the bit with the tree, and discover the office level that follows.

Curt 01-18-2004 02:50 AM

OK, Thankee very mucho grazias, sir!

Marek 01-18-2004 05:46 AM

This just in: there was some brief discussion amongst the team yesterday about letting the database run through a Dutch-to-English translator. Who knows. Also, the problems some of you have experienced relate to the Flash player version. Version 7.000000010243 works fine but v7.0000000003045 messes it all up or something. :rolleyes:

Anyway, today we showed the game at the festival it was created for. We actually got really nice feedback. People walked past our computer terminals and said things like 'oooh hey, this is where you can make those poems, someone told me about that'. Some people actually created some vaguely coherent poems with the words on those trees. Here's two translated examples:

"i've been shot today
and rose again in my dreams
in some dreams you were there
beautifully between the stars"

"her curves were beautiful
the mailman agreed
and of course i dream often of her
my sweet jasmijn"

There's also quite a number of suggestive lines and just funny stuff that people wrote. Things like "need more bald women!" or "come and wash us with your mighty swords" or "she licks a lot". There's also a poem that starts with "my dear pole" :shifty:

So far only 3 people managed to play the game to the end. Most people die in level 4 of the office game.

Firefoot 01-18-2004 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marek
So far only 3 people managed to play the game to the end. Most people die in level 4 of the office game.

How many levels are there anyway?

eriq 01-18-2004 09:56 AM

Quote:

Yeah, we used bitmaps in Flash. This sometimes gives problems as Flash tries to anti-alias the bitmaps, but that can be disabled. Also, we learned of a trick that if you add a 1px transparent border around your sprites it prevents Flash from 'messing up' the edges (e.g. sometimes it makes the edges thicker for some reason, which probably relates to scaling).

don't you hate that? It's such a stupid trick and Macromedia didn't eliminate it in the new version.

eriq 01-18-2004 10:02 AM

I've had a chance to check this out now.

This has a ton of promise. It's got that ultra cute fairy tale feel that I love.... that sort of "Loom-ish" night time quality. It's very impressive. The pixel character is also very well done. He's naked!

Also, I can't make out quite what the dreamy bubbled graphics are but I'm guessing they are a tutorial of some sort. Also very well illustrated. I think info-graphics can get really detailed and cool looking when done right. Are those tree branches your inventory or something?

Intrepid Homoludens 01-18-2004 10:10 AM

Quote:

I don't think there will be an English version...

http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/sad/iiworry.gif

LauraMac 01-18-2004 10:23 AM

I hope the size reduction isn't a side effect of game development work <G>

Seriously - it look very good. Nice style choice. I wish I knew some Dutch. :frown:
I have no idea what was going on. I didn't run into any glitches though.

No english version.... Damn

Curt 01-18-2004 01:22 PM

Intrepid and LauraMac, did you read this before posting?

Quote:

This just in: there was some brief discussion amongst the team yesterday about letting the database run through a Dutch-to-English translator. Who knows.

Who knows......... :) That's a swing away from a no. Possibly. So cheer up! ;)

LauraMac 01-18-2004 04:17 PM

Oh OK - I'll be cheerful :D

Hear that Trep, english version a maybe. :7