Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   96kb 3d fps!!? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/16778-96kb-3d-fps.html)

Gabe 09-07-2006 11:04 PM

96kb 3d fps!!?

Anyone tried this,I'm speechless
check out for download:http://kk.kema.at/files/kkrieger-beta.zip

http://kk.kema.at/files/gfx/snap1.jpg
http://kk.kema.at/files/gfx/snap3.jpg
http://kk.kema.at/files/gfx/snap4.jpg

insane_cobra 09-07-2006 11:11 PM

No offense, but that bit of news is a couple of years old. It's been mentioned twice already, in 2004.

A cool little game, yeah.

Gabe 09-07-2006 11:39 PM

really and no new release since then,coz of demanding system specs.for 04 nobody wanted to see more?

Toefur 09-08-2006 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insane_cobra
No offense, but that bit of news is a couple of years old. It's been mentioned twice already, in 2004.

A cool little game, yeah.

Its news to me!

portabello 09-08-2006 12:17 PM

The demoscene strikes again!

samIamsad 09-08-2006 03:47 PM

Yeah, nice showcase of some wicked compression technology. Does anybody know how the hell this actually works? Made me scratch my had a LOT when it came out, in the days of UT2004 that took away a whopping 5 freakin' gigs of my hd. AYYYYYYEWWWWWW.

Oh: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.kkrieger

Quote:

Textures are stored via their creation history instead of a per-pixel basis, thus only requiring the history data (possibly as low as ~300 bytes per texture at any resolution) and the generator code to be compiled into the executable, producing a relatively small file size
That's what I've thought. Or at least something similar. :D (That doesn't sound like a method of compression per se, though... ah, no, not at all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procedural_generation , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procedural_texture)

insane_cobra 09-08-2006 11:32 PM

Yeah, that's procedural content creation, one of the reasons why DVD9 should be more than enough for Xbox 360 games. :)

Textures and models are described using mathematical formulas, not pixel and mesh information.

samIamsad 09-09-2006 04:06 AM

True. I think (if I got that correclty) it's like this: Instead of the whole content being ready for the game to run eveything is created either on the fly or prior before you start the program by algorithms..

Is it worth the extra hassle, though? Wouldn't it be easier to do it the traditional way and let your artists draw all these nice textures, build models and just store them on a disc? Looking at my UT2004 folder, the texture folder alone(!) is 3 gigs in size...so it might be an issue for future games. I don't know.

insane_cobra 09-09-2006 04:38 AM

Every approach has its pros and cons. With procedural generation, for instance, it's very easy to create many unique variations so the texture doesn't have to repeat itself. Procedural textures can also have depth (they can be 3D), but I guess that would be more important if more today's games were based on voxels and not polygons. Procedural generation also allows players to combine elements and create their own unique content with relative ease. Spore is a great example of that.

But of course, not every image is well suited for mathematical description. A real life, detailed photograph with many unique parts and very few patterns is not easy to reproduce that way, for instance.

samIamsad 09-09-2006 05:34 AM

And all things overly mathematic, algorithmic suck balls. Says the ex Informatics/Digital Media student.... bah. :P

It'll be interesting to see if 3D gaming will stay mainly polygonal. With the chips that have been out there for ten years now, they obviosly will. Curious if this might change in the future and what say a more refined Voxel technology than in Outcast or Comanche is capable of doing.

kuze 09-09-2006 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samIamsad
And all things overly mathematic, algorithmic suck balls. Says the ex Informatics/Digital Media student.... bah. :P

Why ex?
Spoiler:
Oh, and it's computer science, not informatics, if I'm not mistaken.

undeaf 09-09-2006 07:37 AM

I'm not impressed, so it generates a game on the fly, so what? If they could drastically lower the system requirements by increasing the size to half a meg, that would be more interesting, certainly a lot more practical.

There's an FPS called cube that lets you edit levels in the game, and efficiency and hardware requirements don't suffer much because of it. And it's only around 25 - 30 megs, at least 10 megs of which is music, I'm sure they could cut it down a lot by reducing the amount of content if they wanted to.

samIamsad 09-09-2006 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuze
Why ex?
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Oops. :)
I started studying Digital Media and everything went pretty fine, BUT I failed one important exam. :frown: Then I switched to Computer Science, since both basic study periods were more or less identical, but I didn't quite like it it that much. Too much Maths. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by undeaf
'm not impressed, so it generates a game on the fly, so what? If they could drastically lower the system requirements by increasing the size to half a meg, that would be more interesting, certainly a lot more practical.

Well, they could do that by switching to Assembler! That should guarantee loads of fun. :D I'm not sure, but by the sound of it, this should actually increase system requirements, at least if everything's done on the fly. I don't think that was the case with kkrieger. I remember that it took quite a while for the game to actually launch, hence I assume that everything is done prior to starting the game.

kuze 09-09-2006 08:39 AM

Quote:

I started studying Digital Media and everything went pretty fine, BUT I failed one important exam. :frown: Then I switched to Computer Science, since both basic study periods were more or less identical, but I didn't quite like it it that much. Too much Maths. :)

I start studying CS in October, so experiences like yours are valuable information for me. I just hope I'll see some computer in this science eventually.

To give my post some on-topic content; kkrieger did in fact seem to generate the textures prior to the launch of the game, since it took at least two minutes for it to load on my 2800XP.
The group also released some kind of content creation tool called .wwerkzeug, as far as I know it didn't receive major acceptance in the scene. Hell, I downloaded it and didn't even know what it was for, not to mention I had no idea how to use it.

Huz 09-09-2006 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuze

There is generally a distinction between Computer Science and Informatics. Informatics features more business-orientated wanknadgery and less actual computing, which is of little interest to those looking for a purely technical career.

Compare and contrast a web site from a department of Computer Science with the Blackberry-wielding cretins who stare gormlessly out from an Informatics one. Do you want to stab them in the face, or is it just me?

undeaf 09-09-2006 09:29 AM

Quote:

Well, they could do that by switching to Assembler! That should guarantee loads of fun. :D I'm not sure, but by the sound of it, this should actually increase system requirements, at least if everything's done on the fly. I don't think that was the case with kkrieger. I remember that it took quite a while for the game to actually launch, hence I assume that everything is done prior to starting the game.

The reason I think it would decrease system requirements is because, with a 96kb game, they're forced to program everything in the most space efficient way, instead of the most proccesing efficient way, and they're probably also forced to do lots of things with the same code when it would be more efficient to do them in various ways.

Assembler? I though it was called "assembly language".

kuze 09-09-2006 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huz
There is generally a distinction between Computer Science and Informatics. Informatics features more business-orientated wanknadgery and less actual computing, which is of little interest to those looking for a purely technical career.

I'm sure Sam was talking about computer science, since the German term for it is "Informatik".

Spoiler:
assembler {m}: another term for assembly language (as well as the German term for it...)

If I'm not mistaken, at least some parts of kkrieger were written in machine code.

insane_cobra 09-09-2006 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huz
Compare and contrast a web site from a department of Computer Science with the Blackberry-wielding cretins who stare gormlessly out from an Informatics one. Do you want to stab them in the face, or is it just me?

:D I'd stab them, oh yeah.

Quote:

Originally Posted by undeaf
The reason I think it would decrease system requirements is because, with a 96kb game, they're forced to program everything in the most space efficient way, instead of the most proccesing efficient way, and they're probably also forced to do lots of things with the same code when it would be more efficient to do them in various ways.

I think you're looking too much into it, that was just supposed to be a demo.

Phantom 09-09-2006 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huz

Over here in Belgium you only have Informatics, even though it actually matches your description for computer science. We also got Applied Informatics, which is more like your description for Informatics. It's pretty confusing.

Huz 09-09-2006 10:04 AM

Oh, I see.

As you may have been able to tell, I dislike the term 'Informatics' with a passion, and the potential confusion has just given me yet another reason.

I wonder what the German word for our 'Informatics' is then? :)