You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General PS3 Delayed until March 2007

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2006, 11:08 AM   #81
Super Moderator

I wonder what kind of impact this would have?
Old 09-20-2006, 11:25 AM   #82
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

It's an interesting idea, but doesn't it prevent dual layer discs and thus reduce storage for any of the individual formats?

I'm liking the idea of standard DVD support as well, mind you .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:41 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
Sony and Toshiba have a weird business relationship, fighting over HD video formats, cooperating on the Cell.
Kind of like microsoft and IBM, ms uses a powerpc cpu for the 360 even though IBM backs linux.

Quote:
Few movie studios are planning to release films in both high-definition formats the majority are backing Blu-ray. Only three are backing HD-DVD.
Has the support always been leaning this way? With better support and with the PS3 strongarming it, it looks like blue ray has a very good chance. Maybe the support is like this because of the PS3.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:42 PM   #84

Another sketchy move by sony:

http://games.slashdot.org/games/06/09/23/2029222.shtml
Old 09-24-2006, 12:17 AM   #85
gin soaked boy

Oh, there's more than that.

And if that wasn't bad enough...

But take it with a grain of salt, maybe it was just a case of bad translation.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:25 AM   #86
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I would never pay even a penny to play a demo, but that wouldn't stop me from buying a PS3 and buying/renting games for it. I'm also not a huge fan of micropayments either, but that didn't stop me from buying an Xbox 360.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:57 AM   #87
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Lol, pay 1buck for the demo and then they take it away after a few hours. Too funny.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 09-24-2006, 08:14 AM   #88
Homer of Kittens

Did they actually SAY they will charge for demos or are these internet rumors again? Internet message boards are as reliable as Fox news.

PS3 had some good news that everyone is glossing over, like HDMI will be part of the core system (a big thing if you are planning to watch Blu-ray on it), and that playing online is absolutely free (there will be microtransactions however like 360). Also a new Ninja Gaiden, for anyone who enjoyed the original, will be coming to the PS3.

Did anyone see the trailer from the game by Level 5 (guys behind it made Dragon Quest 8)? It looks pretty interesting. Also Lair is shaping up to be an awesome game, probably what Warhawk should have been. Warhawk's graphics look pretty crappy from the trailers they had.

My favorite game shown in TGS was not even a next-gen game but a current gen one. It is called God's hand from Clover Studios (Viewtiful Joe, Okami).

Firefox rules
Old 09-24-2006, 08:47 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
PS3 had some good news that everyone is glossing over, like HDMI will be part of the core system
Well, insane_cobra is insiting that that's completely irrelevant because movie studios would never dare to cut off non-HDMI customers.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:21 AM   #90
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Did they actually SAY they will charge for demos or are these internet rumors again? Internet message boards are as reliable as Fox news.

PS3 had some good news that everyone is glossing over, like HDMI will be part of the core system (a big thing if you are planning to watch Blu-ray on it), and that playing online is absolutely free (there will be microtransactions however like 360). Also a new Ninja Gaiden, for anyone who enjoyed the original, will be coming to the PS3.

Did anyone see the trailer from the game by Level 5 (guys behind it made Dragon Quest 8)? It looks pretty interesting. Also Lair is shaping up to be an awesome game, probably what Warhawk should have been. Warhawk's graphics look pretty crappy from the trailers they had.

My favorite game shown in TGS was not even a next-gen game but a current gen one. It is called God's hand from Clover Studios (Viewtiful Joe, Okami).
Who said Ninja Gaiden Sigma was exclusive? I smell Assasins Creed all over again.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 09-24-2006, 11:03 AM   #91
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Yep, Kutaragi said that during his keynote. Though it might've been a case of bad translation. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Quote:
Did anyone see the trailer from the game by Level 5 (guys behind it made Dragon Quest 8)? It looks pretty interesting.
Yes it does, you can get the HD version of the video here.

Quote:
Also Lair is shaping up to be an awesome game, probably what Warhawk should have been.
You know, that one I'm not so sure about. I was looking forward to Lair a lot, but that gameplay demonstration... The dragons look very nice and the enviroments look somewhat better than what I expected after seeing the still shots. However, dragon vs. dragon combat looks clumsy and the ground parts really bored me after a couple of minutes. I don't have high hopes for it anymore, but who knows.

Quote:
My game of the show is Lost Planet. Strange, I never liked it too much, but after seeing that last trailer something just clicked. DMC4, Ninja Gaiden Sigma and all the RPGs also looked nice, but MGS4 was quite a disappointment. Well, not that I expected much more, but I was kind of hoping it would surprise me. Nope.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:44 PM   #92
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
Who said Ninja Gaiden Sigma was exclusive? I smell Assasins Creed all over again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Also a new Ninja Gaiden, for anyone who enjoyed the original, will be coming to the PS3.
Do you see the word exclusive anywhere?

Quote:
My game of the show is Lost Planet.
I have tried the demo of this one on my friend's 360. Plays like a very generic 3rd person shooter. Not really interested in it at all.

Firefox rules
Old 09-24-2006, 10:59 PM   #93
gin soaked boy

Quote:
I have tried the demo of this one on my friend's 360. Plays like a very generic 3rd person shooter. Not really interested in it at all.
Fair enough, I've loved such games ever since I first played MDK. EDF3 is another one I'm looking forward to, did you see those GIGANTIC robots?

Hell, I'm even itching to play Bullet Witch, despite the lukewarm reviews.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:41 AM   #94
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
Fair enough, I've loved such games ever since I first played MDK. EDF3 is another one I'm looking forward to, did you see those GIGANTIC robots?
Which game is EDF3?

Quote:
Hell, I'm even itching to play Bullet Witch, despite the lukewarm reviews.
Is this game out yet? Gamespot says 2007 release date.

Firefox rules
Old 09-25-2006, 08:09 AM   #95
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Which game is EDF3?
Earth Defense Force 3 (AKA Earth Defense Force X).

Quote:
Is this game out yet? Gamespot says 2007 release date.
It is in Japan, but Atari is bringing it here next year. Hopefully they'll fix some issues in the meantime.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:53 AM   #96
gin soaked boy

Intel produces chips with 80 cores. That's E-I-G-H-T-Y cores. Expects them to become massively available within the next 5 years.

I wonder if Sony will now change their rhetoric about PS3's alleged ten year life cycle. It will sure look funny in 5 years.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:49 AM   #97
Slim Shady

Make it 3.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:01 AM   #98
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Intel produces chips with 80 cores. That's E-I-G-H-T-Y cores. Expects them to become massively available within the next 5 years.

I wonder if Sony will now change their rhetoric about PS3's alleged ten year life cycle. It will sure look funny in 5 years.
If you are a programmer, you know it is almost impossible to make use of an 80-core processor (let alone 7). It is always a trend in technology that hardware is always leaps and bounds ahead of software.

Hey PS2 games are still the most selling games of any platform till this day and it's year 6 now. I don't see anyone buying XBOX games that much anymore, and the console hasen't been out for 5 years. If there is one thing good about Sony, it is respecting their current consumer base. Okami, God of War 2, God's Hand, Final Fantasy XII, these are all AAA exclusive titles and they are coming out in YEAR 6. Microsoft on the other hand took a dump on all their current customers, saying "Well... we are completely abandoning our platform, and screw everyone who has one. But you can always BUY the newer and shinier one".

Firefox rules
Old 09-27-2006, 08:44 AM   #99
gin soaked boy

Quote:
If you are a programmer, you know it is almost impossible to make use of an 80-core processor (let alone 7). It is always a trend in technology that hardware is always leaps and bounds ahead of software.
True to some extent. Most game programmers are still not used to working in multithreaded enviroments, but there are ways to utilize even 80 core processors. For instance, let 5 or 6 threads take care of various game systems and allocate all remaining threads to AI processing. That way you could have a great number of complex, presistent characters - each with its own thread - "intelligently" interacting with the game world all the time. There are many other potential uses.

Microsoft dumped the original Xbox some time ago, but other publishers haven't. It's still getting a steady stream of games and will continue to do so until the end of this year. Then it will indeed slowly die out. But make no mistake, if Xbox was as successful platform as PS2, Microsoft would still be milking it. And vice versa.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:20 PM   #100

Quote:
But that's just what intel is claiming, and they had also promised that the pentium 4 would reach 10 ghz.
Quote:
True to some extent. Most game programmers are still not used to working in multithreaded enviroments
Well, they've had since the 32x to get used to it.(that's an oversimplification)

That article says it will have 80 floating point cores. That's a lot like the cell, that means that either IBM is ahead of intel on an important development, or this processor might not get past the prototype stage.