You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General PS3 Delayed until March 2007

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2006, 03:09 PM   #21

But, but ... but it runs linux!
Old 09-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #22
gin soaked boy

Who cares? So did PS2.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:29 PM   #23

Yeah, but it was far too weak to make good use of it, and it costed extra.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:08 AM   #24
gin soaked boy

Doesn't matter, your ordinary chav won't care for Linux one bit.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:27 AM   #25

Well, yeah, of course they won't care specifically that it runs linux. But if it performs various PC functions I think they'll notice that. And I'm quite sure sony fanboys will be grasping at straws to think well of their idol, 600 to 950 dollars ought to cause a lot of buyer's remorse. And the most technically apt portion of playstation owners very likely will make use of it.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:40 AM   #26
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeaf
But if it performs various PC functions I think they'll notice that.
Like what functions? Media playback? File organization? Web browsing? Network management? PS3 is supposed to be offering all that from its own slick operating system so I'm not sure anyone would care, even if they'd know how to boot into Linux. Especially not people without a mouse and a keyboard. No, Linux will probably be there only for enthusiasts and people interested in homebrew software development.

Quote:
And the most technically apt portion of playstation owners very likely will make use of it.
Probably only if they don't already have a PC. But why are we even discussing this? Nobody will buy a PS3 because of Linux.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:28 AM   #27

They have to have some reason for including it, since they're having it preinstalled on all of them(they're not even using it as a feature to distinguish the more and less expensive models). Wikipedia says that it might even be the OS used for everything. Does sony's operating system have equivalents to KOffice and GAIM? A lot of it depends on how easy and functional the package manager is, and what kind of repositories it allows access to, if any.

What does it matter whether or not anyone will buy a PS3 because of linux? Those people would be using linux, BSD or OSX anyway.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:42 AM   #28
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Does sony's operating system have equivalents to KOffice and GAIM?
I really doubt it since PS3 will ship without a mouse and a keyboard.

Quote:
What does it matter whether or not anyone will buy a PS3 because of linux?
Of course it doesn't matter, "But, but ... but it runs linux!" was your outcry, not mine.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:15 AM   #29

Keyboards and mice aren't really all that expensive, and most people could just borrow one from a PC if they wanted to just try something out.

Yeah, I was saying that at least there's one good thing about the PS3(a bit sarcastically though, hence the stuttering). After all, noone is upset at, say, looking glass for not having sold enough games, except the people they worked for. And while the PS3 might hurt sony, maybe it'll also hurt not just HDDVD but also windows.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:00 AM   #30
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Keyboards and mice aren't really all that expensive, and most people could just borrow one from a PC if they wanted to just try something out.
Yes, if something would make them want to try it out.

But if they already have a PC, why bothering with Linux on their PS3?

Quote:
Yeah, I was saying that at least there's one good thing about the PS3(a bit sarcastically though, hence the stuttering).
I got that, that's why I'm so surprised this turned into an actual discussion.

Quote:
After all, noone is upset at, say, looking glass for not having sold enough games, except the people they worked for. And while the PS3 might hurt sony, maybe it'll also hurt not just HDDVD but also windows.
Huh? Are we still in the same thread? You lost me there a little, but never mind, I'm out anyway.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:01 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
Yes, if something would make them want to try it out.

But if they already have a PC, why bothering with Linux on their PS3?
Malware infestation. Or possibly a dead fan or severe dust buildup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
Huh? Are we still in the same thread? You lost me there a little, but never mind, I'm out anyway.
I was saying that noone really cares about how well a product does, unless they like it or seriously dislike it.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:55 AM   #32
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak
Whoah. Soccerdude28 discrediting Sony. You heard it here first, guys!

Can't argue though; Sony is truly screwing up more and more, PR-wise.
I'm just saying that they are making Microsoft's job really easy to take over the number one spot, with the huge number of mistakes they are making in this release. They really should fire all their executives for the terrible job in getting this product out.

Firefox rules
Old 09-09-2006, 08:32 PM   #33
merely human

Speaking of mistakes, Kikizo took the trouble to list them chronologically:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizo, Playstation 3: A Timeline To Doom
May 2005: This is where it all began, at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, where Ken Kutaragi formally unveiled the PlayStation 3. The world gasped at the promised power of the Cell processor, the expansive space gifted game designers by Blu-ray, and the horror that was the prototype PlayStation 3 controller. Sony wrote a massive cheque with pre-rendered footage from games such as Killzone 2 and MotorStorm. It remains to see whether that cheque will bounce or not. Meanwhile, Kutaragi reaffirmed that the PS3 is a computer and not a games console.

June 2005: Shortly after E3, the talk started to turn to price. Sony was coy, but it did warn repeatedly that the console would not come cheap, and at one point Kutaragi even went as far as to suggest that people work harder to afford it. Sony's European boss said that Microsoft's going first in the next-gen race would have little overall effect.

July 2005: While Kutaragi again warned that Sony's new console would be expensive, Microsoft scored something of a coup, signing major Japanese game developers to make exclusive games for the Xbox 360.

August 2005: Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima revealed that Metal Gear Solid 4 would make an appearance at the Tokyo Game Show, to the delight of series fans around the world. Meanwhile, talk pointed to the rest of the show being something of a bust for showgoers, with no playable games in the offing.

September 2005: With Microsoft announcing that the Xbox 360 would come in two bundles, Sony was quick to jump in and condemn the move. The company said that it would not be taking the same steps when it came time to launching the PlayStation 3.

October 2005: Sony said earlier in the year that the PlayStation 3 would play back the full catalogue of PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games, but a company representative confirmed that there could be a few stragglers. Backward compatibility seemed much less of an issue than for Microsoft. Ken Kutaragi also got message boards humming with his comments that the PlayStation 3 would support games at 120 frames-per-second - current games struggle to hit 60 fps consistently.

November 2005: Sony stood out of the spotlight for a bit as Microsoft launched the Xbox 360 in the US. Many hoped that Sony would learn from Microsoft's problems handling a global launch and take a cue on how not to do things. The console launched days later in Europe and Japan.

December 2005: With the Xbox 360 becoming harder to find, Sony reiterated that it was on track to release the console in spring in Japan. Sony's Phil Harrison also got tongues wagging by baiting Microsoft, saying that the true high-definition era began once the PlayStation 3 arrived - mostly because the Xbox 360 lacked a high-definition drive and was capable of 1080p resolution. Ken Kutaragi took another stab at Microsoft, saying that the first-mover advantage amounted to little.

January 2006: With the arrival of the new year came the analyst guesstimates about the PlayStation 3 launch. Pacific Crest Securities in the US predicted a spring 2007 release in Europe and a November launch in the US.

February 2006: Kikizo went hands-on with the PlayStation 3, and our developer sources gave the first signs that Sony's hopes of having games running in 1080p were perhaps unattainable.

March 2006: Sony had yet to announce any launch details for the PlayStation 3 - it was supposed to launch in Japan in the spring - but it said it was waiting for final Blu-ray specifications to make the announcement, giving the first suggestions that the next-generation DVD technology could cause headaches for the company. The first reports on Sony's online plans also came to the fore.

April 2006: PlayStation's French boss was rumoured to have commented that the PlayStation 3 would cost €500 to €600, but PR representatives said he had been misquoted.

May 2006: By the time E3 rolled around again this year, people were in a frenzy. The time had come for Sony to dazzle us with its games, but all we got was a fizzle. There's speculation that E3's demise is directly linked to Sony's dissatisfaction with the beating it took in the media when the console failed to live up to most people's expectations. MotorStorm was hidden in a corner of Sony's booth and Killzone 2 was nowhere to be found. Of course, the biggest shock was the price, which largely came down to the inclusion of Blu-ray and the costs involved in creating the Cell processor. Sony also went against its own statements and announced two bundles for the PS3.

June 2006: Perhaps realizing the strength of the Xbox 360, Sony said that it was unconcerned with market share in the next generation and rather wanted to expand the industry as a whole. At the same time, Sony officials said that Microsoft's predicted 10-million-unit lead by November was not a concern. Meanwhile, Sony boss Sir Howard Stringer admitted that the PlayStation 3, which forms a hub for the company's digital entertainment products, was a risky venture. Sony also made outlandish statements, accusing Microsoft of stealing its ideas.

July 2006: With chinks starting to show in Sony's armour, several analysts predicted that, should things go horribly awry, there was every chance that the PlayStation 3 could end up last in the next-generation race. At the same time, Americans picked Sony as their favourite brand. It was also in July that the PlayStation 3 was reported to have gone into production.

August 2006: Reports out of Taiwan suggested Sony was already taking delivery of assembled consoles, though PlayStation's US boss Kaz Hirai admitted later in the month that production had yet to start. Hirai let slip that Sony would only have 2 million consoles ready by the end of the year, but PR handlers quickly said he had been misunderstood.

September 2006: Amid rumours of Sony struggling to find blue laser diodes, the company came clean, admitting that it couldn't get enough of the Blu-ray component and that it was forced to cut back its schedule. Europe took the brunt of the blow, with the launch being delayed until March 2007, though the US and Japan would both get the nasty surprise of much smaller launches - 400,000 units and 100,000 units respectively.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-09-2006, 08:51 PM   #34
Lovable rogue

What are all these gamers supposed to do, that Sony said would buy their machine without any games?

Now they don't get a console either!

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 09-09-2006, 09:58 PM   #35
delusions of adequacy

I'm not so convinced Sony even need the PS3 to push Blue Ray right over the top of HDDVD. People already just seem willing to take it on faith that Blue Ray is far superior to HDDVD without even seeing the two running side by side or being aware of anything more than the hype they've heard (or want to believe).

http://projectorcentral.com/retailin...VD_Blu-ray.htm
Old 09-10-2006, 02:05 AM   #36
gin soaked boy

HD-DVD currently outsells Blu-ray, but the sales of both formats are disappointing. Not for me, though, I've been saying all along that people are not ready to make the switch yet.

The recent shortage of blue laser diodes is another problem Blu-ray will have to overcome. Meanwhile, HD-DVD is more readily available, offers better picture quality and the movies sell better despite their higher price.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:28 AM   #37
Friendly Server Admin

I'm sort of willing to bet that for your average non-technical consumer, HD-DVD's name is a strong selling point. It is, after all, a DVD, which is HD. It contains two keywords that buyers recognize, whereas "Blu-Ray" sounds a bit like a 1950s microwave oven, instead of an improvement over an existing media standard.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:35 PM   #38
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Like tabacco said so many people know the name HD DVD, unlike blu-ray.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:29 PM   #39
merely human

That bit of nomenclature may end up working against Blu-ray, yes. However, it's still possible that the Sony name would balance that out (there are still a lot of 'ignorant' mainstream consumers out there who'll buy what Sony sells them). Still, I personally think it's too risky, but then Sony has already risked far too much (today and yesteryear) to even be aware of it.

That said, I do like the wisdom behind Microsoft's decision to make HD-DVD optional for the Xbox360. It keeps the power in the consumers' hands as to whether they want that feature or not, even if it may end up being a little more expensive (Xbox360 + HD-DVD drive) than the PS3. Sony is practically forcing their new proprietary format unto us, whereas MS still at least respects our freedom of choice.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-11-2006, 09:07 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
That said, I do like the wisdom behind Microsoft's decision to make HD-DVD optional for the Xbox360. It keeps the power in the consumers' hands as to whether they want that feature or not, even if it may end up being a little more expensive (Xbox360 + HD-DVD drive) than the PS3. Sony is practically forcing their new proprietary format unto us, whereas MS still at least respects our freedom of choice.
Microft being seen as respecting choice, oh the irony. Why would microsoft even want to force toshiba's format onto their customers?

Who will want such an add on device anyway? Not only will the combination cost more and not have HDMI(and HD DVD is said to be stricter about DRM than Blu ray), but the drive also can't be used as part of the console. If they really wanted to give a choice about whether to have a hddvd console, they'd make two versions of the console, one with an HD DVD drive and one with two DVD drives(the games could be distributed by having one of the discs be a double sided or double/tripple layered DVD&HDDVD disc).