You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Kya: Dark Lineage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
Homer of Kittens

Default Kya: Dark Lineage

Has anyone played this game on the PS2? It is a game from Eden Games, the french company developing Test Drive. I discovered this game by accident, and it is a brilliant and charmful surprise. It definitely has the french flavor to it, with a lot of Michael Ancelesque type of charm and gameplay. I am really shocked that this game went under the radar unnoticed. Anybody else here play it?

Firefox rules
Old 09-04-2006, 06:10 PM   #2
Grah! Grah!

I've got it but have only had a chance to play for half an hour or so. I like the art style and the sense of momentum but all the long, unskippable cutscenes are pissing me off. Hopefully they disappear as the game progresses.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
Grah! Grah!

I finally got around to playing Kya (don't know why this kind of thing seems to take me so long, it's not as though I do much else...) properly and it's not bad. The art design ranges from pretty good (areas like The Flying Forest and the village look suitably lush and fantastic, if somewhat unremarkable) to spectacular (Hunter's Domain is awe-inspiring and for some reason reminds me of Hieronymous Boch; a word should also be said for the beautiful world map), the universe has a pretty coherent feel while allowing some diversity and most importantly the gameplay's fairly varied.

On the negative side the writing and voice acting are terrible throughout, the progression of difficulty isn't completely consistent and the camera can be quite unwieldy and unresponsive, as well as clipping a lot (which can be particurlarly frustrating in the free fall segments.) Level design often also doesn't seem to have any sort of internal logic. Overall though I found it pretty satisfying and worth playing, at least up until the point where it inexplicably stopped recognising all my saved games. I'm surprised it's not more widely known/admired, even if it could use a fair bit of polish.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:07 AM   #4
Banned User

Yes, i played the game too. Remember that music Clip as bonus ?
A well designed platform game.Its a bit like Jak & Daxter.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:39 PM   #5

Kya is one of my favorite games,nd i believe it needs a sequel but becuase of not so good ratings the idea was scraped.
but i am trying to help kya by alot of things like getting other people to play kya and making an online petition, i even made a website that is about it plus other subjects http://s15.invisionfree.com/onemorechance/
and here is the petition http://www.petitiononline.com/1k2y3a/petition.html
(If the links arent allowed than an admin can get rid of them.)
Old 01-30-2007, 01:14 PM   #6
gin soaked boy

Fun fact: the same person who wrote the script for Kya: Dark Lineage also wrote the script for Gears of War and BioShock. Her name is Susan O'Connor.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:48 PM   #7

I don't even know what to make of that....
Old 01-31-2007, 05:51 AM   #8
Grah! Grah!

I fear for Bioshock.