You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Bioshock (now with post-game discussion)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2006, 01:39 PM   #21
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Au contraire, but that doesn't negate the fact that he's actually saying something that isn't true for his own games .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-01-2006, 02:00 PM   #22
Dungeon Master

Mr Levine has good intentions, but I agree that his guidelines sound too extreme. Take Fahrenheit for instance. In it, it's usually impossible to tell where the cutscene ends and the in-game event begins. Except for the opening and closing video, which indeed should have been skippable, allowing the player to skip any part would really defy the game's purpose, methinks.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:37 PM   #23
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
[
I wanna have this guy's babies.

I knew his thoughts on that matter already. Also see: this. That means he doesn't like adventure games™ then? Heheh, figures. There might be games you play through, and there might be games you actually play with. Give this guy a copy of "Dreamfall" and he might puke. He might. I don't know.

Well.....while it might indeed sound a little extreme, he has a point there. People who don't see it need to dig deeper. Deeper. Deeeeeper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Levine
But as a designer, it's hard to give up that control. We want to craft moments of gameplay. I've done it myself---hey, I've written my share of cutscenes. But what we conceive as designers is never going to be as good as what the partnership of gamer and game creates.

Last edited by samIamsad; 09-01-2006 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:35 AM   #24
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
I wanna have this guy's babies.
you could commit the real world equivalent of unskippable cutscenes and get them that way.
oh yeah, and you might need to get yourself the old womb there.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:44 AM   #25

Send a message via Yahoo to MakeMonroe

this game is the biggest reason why i'm going to buy a new computer.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:54 PM   #26
is not wierd

This and Spore.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:33 AM   #27
Slim Shady

I don't think Spore will require high system specs.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:31 PM   #28
is not wierd

I think it will actually. Not like Crysis or anything. Have you seen the scope of that game?

In any case, it'll definitely outdo the computer I have now.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:38 PM   #29
gin soaked boy

Spore will by no means require high specs (high for the time it's released, mind you), they want that game to sell like hotcakes and to reach as many people as possible.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:10 AM   #30

Gamespy talk to Ken Levine on Bioshock...

http://uk.xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-3.../730626p1.html

Quote:
There are apparitions that you come across in the game which you begin to pick up on because you've been so genetically modified that you can now sense these spiritual energies
Yay its Most Haunted: Rapture, can't wait, i loved Most Haunted: Von Braun
Old 09-06-2006, 10:01 AM   #31
merely human

The Splicer, Bioshock.

Thanks for the heads up, GED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Levine
You saw the little sisters and the big daddies; well, there are going to be many different varieties of them. There are three major different types of big daddies actually. And there are also some subtypes too, and then of course you have the splicers too (the scary women that crawled on the ceiling in the last demo). There are tons of different splicers in the game and they all have different genetic powers that you face up against. Unlike a lot of games where you have generic enemies, any of our characters can have any of the powers in the game. So just like you, they are genetically (modifiable), and really unpredictable. We really did that to try and move away from the standard FPS genre. Because our enemies are spawned dynamically and because they move through the world with their own goals and intentions, we really see all these combined to create a world that exists on its own terms.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-13-2006, 09:49 AM   #32
gin soaked boy

There's a brilliant new interview at 1UP, less about the gameplay specifics and more about the philosophy behind the game. New screens as well.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:59 AM   #33
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

This is the next Oblivion.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 09-13-2006, 10:03 AM   #34
merely human

Erm, no. It's the next System Shock.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-13-2006, 10:17 AM   #35
gin soaked boy

Well if you listen to The Official PlayStation Magazine UK trying to explain what kind of a game Bioshock is to their puzzled readers, it's "GTA: San Andreas meets Final Fantasy meets Kill Zone".
Old 09-13-2006, 10:20 AM   #36
capsized.

So, essentially, it's an, um, adventure game? Wooooh! Mods! Move! Man, I think I'll just skip any kind of preview/review pap from now on and enter this sick shit totally unprepared of what exactly to expect. :drool: Games like this only rear their head once in five or so years.

Last edited by samIamsad; 09-13-2006 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:32 PM   #37
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Erm, no. It's the next System Shock.
No you selfish whore! I was talking about the scale.
Trep the sexy vixen

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 09-13-2006, 01:40 PM   #38
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
So, essentially, it's an, um, adventure game? Wooooh! Mods! Move! Man, I think I'll just skip any kind of preview/review pap from now on and enter this sick shit totally unprepared of what exactly to expect. :drool: Games like this only rear their head once in five or so years.

...and hence my problem with all this. I can't resist NO MATTER WHAT I DO, from looking at screens. Goddamnit, I see "Bioshock Screens" On Bluesnews, VE3D, Worthplaying, Xboxyde, or pretty much any and everywhere, and how am I supposed to just click past that!?

...and yes, here people, is your modern day adventure game. For those not in the know, go find System Shock 2 and picture this game while playing. I have yet to meet a person that didn't at least really like SS2, if not love. This is the reason to be very excited about this; you can just feel SS2 oozing throughout looking at the screens.

Cheers
Old 09-13-2006, 04:04 PM   #39
Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Mr Levine has good intentions, but I agree that his guidelines sound too extreme. Take Fahrenheit for instance. In it, it's usually impossible to tell where the cutscene ends and the in-game event begins. Except for the opening and closing video, which indeed should have been skippable, allowing the player to skip any part would really defy the game's purpose, methinks.
If we define "cutscene" as a part of the game with no player input, Fahrenheit had very few, very short cutscenes. Got to keep the player doing stuff to keep them immersed, see.

Anyway. Bio. F***ing. Shock.
I want it now. SS2 was so good. I played it for the first time just a few months ago and it still holds up as awesome. Didn't think much of the ending though, especially when your player character (the AFNGAC or whatever the acronym is) spoke. It was some daft line like "take THIS!" as well.

Shodan, you are awesome. Incredibly evil, but awesome. I also liked the fact that SS2 had respawning but it didn't piss me off. It just made it feel even more intense.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:40 PM   #40
merely human

Two new screenies, courtesy of Gameplay Monthly.