You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Your Favorite Type of Racing Game

View Poll Results: Vroooooooooom!
Super Sims (Grand Turismo, Forza Motorsport) 1 2.86%
Rally Racing (Colin Mcrae Rally, Rallisport Racing) 0 0%
Street Racing (Need for Speed, Midnight Club) 3 8.57%
Super Arcade Racers (Burnout, San Francisco Rush) 7 20.00%
Other (Flatout, Big Rigs, Super Mario Kart, ETC) 21 60.00%
I don't like racing games! 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 06:29 AM   #21
Bad command or file name

I voted other since my favorites are mostly off-road racers like Monster Truck Madness and 1nsane. Really, any racing game that doesn't confine you strictly to the track will interest me. I like on track arcade and sims too but just not as much.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 08-09-2006, 06:32 AM   #22
Roar?

Mario Kart! I enjoy blowing up my opponents and driving through chocolate.

I also liked the first F-Zero, back in the day. Mind you I was stoned most of the time.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:40 AM   #23
FlipFrame

Globally, I'd place Forza over GT in the "Sim" dept., but I'd place games like GTR in the so-called 'Super Sim' category, FAR removed from your general mainstream racer.

As such:
  • "Super Sim" - GTR (Impossible to drive recklessly, extreme physics modeling, high end tuning, high to severe damage)
  • "Sim" - Forza, Toca, Flatout (Less reckless driving, high end physics modeling, tuning, moderate to severe damage)
  • "Sub-Sim" - GranTurismo (Reasonably reckless driving, accessible physics modeling, tuning, no damage)
  • "Arcade Sim" - PGR3, Most Rally (Reckless driving, highly accessible physics modeling, moderate to zero tuning, no damage)
  • "Arcade Racer" - Pretty much everything else defying real vehicle physics(Reckless fun encouraged, extremely accessible, power-ups)

That said (I'm not looking to be a thread nazi ), I'd have the most fun with Arcade Sim, for its get in and go gameplay, but I really enjoy technical driving which penalizes corner railing and running opponents off the track (thus encouraging safe, fair driving), so I'd go for the Forza's and Toca's (Toca being a tad more severe in its damage modeling than Forza). GTR is too realistic for my lack of a serious racing setup (expensive wheel, racing chair), so I avoid that despite it's compelling techincal merits.

Overall though, being a racing fan, I play them all, from sims to karts.

Cheers
Old 08-09-2006, 02:29 PM   #24
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Yeah, I think I prefer EvoG's categories, simply because I enjoy most basic 'types' of racer but only if they follow a certain arcadey style. I can't be arsed with tuning and braking for corners and all that bollocks - it's one of the reasons that I don't think the first FlatOut game worked, because it felt too serious considering its premise. Give me ridiculous powerslides and insane maneuvers any day.

As I said though, the games I enjoy span most of the main 'types' of racer. Somewhere near the top of the list are Burnout 2 (with an emphasis on racing), Burnout 3 (emphasis on crashing and generally being EXTREME), Outrun 2 (a fantastic arcade conversion for the Xbox), F-Zero GX (very skilful hovercar action) and Project Gotham (rather more technical arcade stuff).
Old 08-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #25
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

I voted for Super Arcade Racers (Only for Burnout.) But I would have voted for other if could have.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #26
Don't you FYROM me

Need for Speed is something very special. Especially starting with Hot Pursuit 2, UG1 and UG2, Most Wanted... I can't wait for NFS Carbon.
From the other games I must say that Juiced was OK.
Colin McRae and Richard Burn's Rally are also fine, but not interesting as NFS.
I just feel sorry for V-Rally, because VR2 was great (at the time) but VR3 was somehow with a bad gameplay. Maybe wrong... but the driving was very... stupid...
Old 08-09-2006, 04:13 PM   #27
More slaw!!!

I don't play many racing games - but I don't like games where I am confined to the road entirely, or specifically to the track.

Remember Test Drive 3? You could drive whichever way you wanted, on the road, off the road, into barns, the wrong way, the right way, the scenic way, through the shortcut along a little dirt track. That was fun.

I haven't come accross any other games like that.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:34 PM   #28
gin soaked boy

No love for Rollcage? It's still among my favorites.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:33 AM   #29
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur
I haven't come accross any other games like that.
Powerslide, baby!

A home grown title too (RIP Ratbag )
Old 08-27-2006, 03:27 AM   #30
Has a jaw of sweet teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
No love for Rollcage? It's still among my favorites.
yeah, thats a great one! (thanks for mention it, i was thinking about it while reading this tread, but couldnt come up with the name.)

rolllcage, mario kart 64 and f-zero must be my absolute favourites...
i think most racing games are the same old´ same old´ so i appreciate games that it is something *new* about..
Old 08-27-2006, 05:35 AM   #31
Game Creator Hobbyist

Rollcage is a good game, but Rollcage 2 improves it to near perfection.
Wacky Wheels is another fun one, particulary in multiplayer.
I also like Virtual Skipper (clearly the best sailing sim there is!), does that count as a racing game?
Old 08-27-2006, 09:48 AM   #32
merely human

Wipout3, Playsation

When I had my Playstation I was heart and soul into Wipeout3. I would play it late into the night, headphones on, while listening to the techno soundtrack full blast. Nothing propelling at 500mph down a futuristic track with Sasha or Underworld. That's the kind of fantasy racer I love, it's kinda romantic, a future perfect optimism.

Project Gotham Racing 2, Xbox

Then when I got my Xbox I played Project Gotham Racingt 2 passionately, often times racing solo while my little nephew (who is a huge car slut and is actually quite good at PGR, too) watched and made comments like a backseat driver.

Burnout: Revenge, Xbox360

Today I got my Xbox360 and Burnout: Revenge. It's quite beautiful visually, aurally, and viscerally. Interestingly it has essentially that same fantasy violence, breakneck pace, whiplash speed from Wipeout3, combined with the real world feeling of Project Gotham Racing.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 08-27-2006 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:00 AM   #33
capsized.

The good ones. You know, Pitstop 2, Stunt Car Racer. Or 4D Sports Driving!

By the way, this is free, fast, simple and hence.. kinda addictive.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:17 PM   #34
Bad command or file name

Stunts was the shit. I can't believe that no one was gone back to that idea yet. It's been 15 years and I'm still waiting for another game with nothing but jumps, loops, and corkscrews. They don't even have to change anything to the gameplay, just update the graphics and I would be happy as could be. Bah, a boy can dream.

Anyway, I'm having loads of fun playing Flatout. I wasn't impressed with the demo but the full version is incredibly satisfying. Great graphics, great crashes, great levels, crappy music, great cars, great bonus games and some good ol' fashion great racing. I'll have to look into the sequel now too.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 08-27-2006, 05:43 PM   #35
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bysmitty
...I can't believe that no one was gone back to that idea yet. It's been 15 years and I'm still waiting for another game with nothing but jumps, loops, and corkscrews. They don't even have to change anything to the gameplay, just update the graphics and I would be happy as could be. Bah, a boy can dream.

Trackmania FTW!

Trackmania United looks wicked...check out the detail in that car.

In the mean time, download the just-as-sexy looking Trackmania Sunrise Extreme Demo
Old 08-27-2006, 10:57 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
Here you go! Another thread without much point.
You forgot all sorts of categories, including motorcycle, sci fi/futuristic, armed, fixed viewpoint, boat, and horse. (assuming that boat racing games actually exist)
Old 08-28-2006, 12:41 AM   #37
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Trackmania is nowhere even near to the brialliant Stunts gameplay, but neither is Crashday, which I waited for so long.

Stunts is still the best in it's unique genre.

Flatout 1 was great at first but when you play it for like four weeks straight, it becomes really obvious that the game lacks a lot of stuff, like the online lobby and other stuff.

Flatout 2, I tried that at a friend's place and man I don't like that at all, it's just the same stuff all over again, but even less interesting.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:11 AM   #38
Bad command or file name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Trackmania is nowhere even near to the brialliant Stunts gameplay, but neither is Crashday, which I waited for so long.

Stunts is still the best in it's unique genre.

Flatout 1 was great at first but when you play it for like four weeks straight, it becomes really obvious that the game lacks a lot of stuff, like the online lobby and other stuff.

Flatout 2, I tried that at a friend's place and man I don't like that at all, it's just the same stuff all over again, but even less interesting.
I have to agree about Trackmania. It is fun but just not on the same level as stunts. I can only play the Trackmania games for about 1/2 hour at a time before I get bored.

I see what you are saying about Flatout's lasting ability. Now that I'm a few races away from finishing the "campaign" mode, there doesn't seem to be much else to do. I suppose driving around the maps and crashing into stuff for fun might last me a few extra hours but I don't think this game will reside on my hard drive beyond this month.

Is there a demo for Flatout 2? I really haven't heard too much positive about it yet.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 08-28-2006, 08:16 AM   #39
Bad command or file name

On a separate note, doesn't anyone know a way around the police chases in NFS -Most Wanted? I love the racing in the game but I find nothing but frustration in the police chases. I know I'm supposed to crash into the "chase breakers" or whatever but that rarely works and I spend all my time trying to loose the cops when I just want to get on with the racing. Can anyone else with this?

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 08-28-2006, 08:44 AM   #40
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

FlatOut 2 tries even harder than FlatOut to be EXTREME, and as a result seems bland by comparison to the Burnouts it's trying to ape.

I remember an amateur game called Oddysey by Car that was a free-roaming car game before free-roaming car games were even cool. You raced around a very basic 3D landscape passing checkpoints in the shortest possible time, so you had to figure out the most efficient route. Quite good fun, but sadly it was shareware and the publisher had disappeared by the time I decided to cough up for the full game.