Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   12 Reasons Why The PSP Is Better Than The DS (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/16227-12-reasons-why-psp-better-than-ds.html)

SamNMax 08-05-2006 04:07 AM

12 Reasons Why The PSP Is Better Than The DS

* The PSP has a library full of amazing games

The first thing I hear from DS fanboys in that the PSP has no good games. This is quite honestly retarded. Almost every great game the DS has, the PSP has a game that can meet or beat it.

(PSP games listed in BLUE, DS games listed in RED(All games chosen are the most "popular" in their genre. Genres are designated by IGN reviews))

* Puzzle Games: Tetris DS, Meteos / Lumines, EXIT, Mercury (Lumines is widley regarded as the best Puzzle game since the original Tetris.)
* Action: Resident Evil: Deadly Silence, Sonic Rush, Yoshi Touch And Go / Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, Me and My Katamari, Tomb Raider: Legend, Monster Hunter: Freedom, Untold Legends, Twisted Metal: Head On (clearly the PSP owns in this category. More on why this is later)
* Adventure/Misc.: Animal Crossing: Wild World, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Another Code/Trace Memory, Lost in Blue / Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (DS owns here)
* Fighting: Guilty Gear: Dust Strikers / Tekken: Dark Resurrection, Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX (DS can't hold a candle here)
* Platformer: New Super Mario Brothers, Super Princess Peach, Super Mario 64 / Daxter (DS does own here)
* RPG: Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time / Valkyire Profile: Lenneth, PoPoLoCrois, Legend of Heores I & II (PSP owns in the RPG category, and I'm not even listing the easily imported European titles)
* Racing: Mario Kart DS, Ridge Racer DS / Ridge Racer, Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition, Gripshift, Burnout Legends, MX vs. ATV Unleashed, Race Driver 2006, WipeOut Pure, Pursuit Force (I think this speaks for itself. I don't care how good Mario Kart is.)
* Shooter: Metorid Prime: Hunters / Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALS FireTeam Bravo (As good as Hunters is, PSP > DS in this category.)
* Simulation: Trauma Center, Sims 2 / Sims 2 (DS is better here)
* Strategy: Age of Empires, Advance Wars: Dual Strike / Field Commander, Metal Gear Ac!d, Metal Gear Ac!d 2 (PSP edges out DS here)
* Sports: I'm not even going to list anything here because if you really think that the DS does sports games better you are an idiot.

If you can't find at least 5 games worth playing on that list, then you are just a blind fanboy.

* The PSP has console like graphics which add to the gameplay of games and therefore makes them more fun to play.

People are going to deny this statement, but let's look at it logically.

Let's say you are a proud owner of an Xbox and an Xbox 360. You are looking into buying the game Hitman: Blood Money. The game is on both consoles. The 360 version has better graphics so you purchase it. Why do you purchase it? Because it has better graphics. The graphics add to the gameplay and draw you into the game deeper and it is therefore more fun to play.

Sure the DS has great fun games. But when I play NSMB or Mario Kart, I know I'm playing a handheld game. It's fun and all, but it just simply doesn't enthrall me. When I'm blasting n00bs online in SOCOM, the graphics draw me into the game and it makes me feel like I'm playing a console game on the go.

This is one of the greatest feelings ever. DS fanboys have no idea. They can say they do, but they don't.

We can also examine this on a handheld level.

Madden 07:

http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/ar...3044107261.jpg http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/arti...3043013138.jpg

Which game looks more fun and interesting to play?

Don't we play games to have fun?

Sure, it's hard to do this for sports games becasue the PSP blows the DS out of the water in this category, but the point remians valid.

Again, Need For Speed Carbon:

http://i.i.com.com/cnet.g2/images/20..._screen001.jpg

Or how 'bout WWE Smackdown! vs. RAW 06?

http://www.nlgaming.com/games/3300/psp/11.jpg

^ Not the best PSP game graphically, but surpasses anything the DS can dish out.

See what I said by console like games?

It's games like this that make you forget you are playing a handheld.

Even the DS' most graphically impressive game, Metroid Prime Hunters fails to draw you into the game like shooters SOCOM and Syphon Filter can.

Even when I'm playing the "best" games on the DS, NSMB and Mario Kart DS, I still feel as if I'm playing a handheld game. This rarely happens with the PSP.

Like I said, the DS has some great games that are really fun, but the PSP takes the fun factor to a whole new level.

Whether you want to admit this or not.

* The PSP will have thousands of PS1 games available for download by the end of the year

This will just open up the library even more and make the PSP even better.

How awesome will it be to take your favorite games from the past on the go?

Really awesome.

The DS does allow you to play GBA games on it, but what's going to attract you more?

A handheld device that lets you play games made for another handheld device, or being able to play a P21 game on the go?

Yeah. Thought so.

* The PSP's online gameplay is much better than the DS'

The PSP has fantastic online games. Everything from SOCOM, the best console shooter of all time, to Syphon Filter, to Twisted Metal, to EA Sports games.

Not only do they have a great lineup online, the gameplay in these games is fantastic.

The online lobby systems in SOCOM and Syphon Filter absolutley demolish anything the DS has to offer. FireTeam Bravo has the same exact online setup as SOCOM 3 which is widely reguarded as the best console game online setup in history. Not only that, it is extremely simple to navigate and organize friends and messages.

Voice chat inside the game is also fantastic. The DS is trying to catch up.

The DS has some great franchises online, but the setup in these games isn't as nearly as inutitive as it is in most PSP games.

The PSP's memory stick capability also allows for content and patch downloads, something not possible on the Nintendo DS.

* Video playback

Although many may consider UMD Movies dead, they aren't. There are still studios behind the project, and what a great project it is.

UMD movies are fantastic. The picture and sound quality alone makes these little discs worth the purchase. Seeing is believing, and when you see a UMD movie lighting up the gorgeous screen of the PSP, you will understand how awesome they are.

The convienence is also awesome. I watched Happy Gilmore on our latest family road trip. The thing is great when you don't have a DVD player. I also used it in line for the Xbox 360. Had a little crowd gathered around me watching movies. It was great.

I find myself posting here or playing PC games with my PSP running a movie next to me.

When you really think about how awesome it is to have a great moive player in such a cheap package, you understand why the PSP is so great. It's an affodable, compact, mobile powerhouse.

UMD Movie are fantastic and the DS has nothing that can compare.

The ability to rip your own movies to memory sticks and watch them on the go is also awesome. Again, Nintendo can't compete.

Sony is also discussing bundleing movies into memory sticks in the future. Awesome stuff.

Video playback on the PSP is great. Just another reason it's a better machine than the DS.

* Music Playback

The PSP is an MP3 player. A damn fine one at that. The sound quality through a nice pair of headphones rivals that of an iPod.

Again, the DS has nothing to compete with this.

* Internet Browsing on the PSP is great. Plus it's free.

The PSP's internet browser is great. I find myself using it all the time around town if I need to check something quickly. It's not perfect, but it's leaps and bounds better than most mobile browsers on cell phones and Palm Pilots.

Again, the DS is trying to play catch up with its Opera brower.

Which costs money.

* The PSP is customizable

Make the system your own with custom wallpapers and themes. Download your very own music and movies to it.

Make a wallpaper for you PlayGear Pocket.

Stand out from the crowd.

You can't with a DS.

* The PSP is easy to use

Not saying that the DS isn't, but you would think that the PSP would be complicated to use. It's not.

It's drag and drop PC interface is simple and fool proof. It makes your PSP that much more fun to use.

* The PSP is affordable

A PSP will run you $200.
A DS will run you $130.

Which get's you more bang for the buck?

I think we've proven the PSP does.

Sure you might need to purchase a bigger memory stick to use it's pitcure and video capabilities, but it is impossible to find such a media powerhouse for such a cheap price.

The DS can play games.

The PSP can play games, browse the internet out of the box, listen to music, and watch movies. Plus the game library is better.

I think that it's worth the extra $70.

The PSP is just plain awesome.

(Continued)

SamNMax 08-05-2006 04:08 AM

* The DS sells better, so it must be the better console. False.

Yes, I've heard this before.

So if the DS sells better than the PSP it's the better machine?

The same people saying this are the same people who were defending the GameCube becasue the PS2 was selling better.

Funny how it changes.

The PS2 wasn't better than the GameCube, and the DS isn't better than the PSP.

This is just retarded logic.

Fanboys act like the PSP sells terribly. This isn't true either. When the PSP first came out, sales were above that of the DS. Even with the DS outselling it now, the PSP still sells well.

The PSP is far from "doomed". It doesn't need "saving" It's got the support from developers and gamers all over the world.

* The PSP has a bright future

We've already mentioned PS1 downloads.

Let's look at the games that are coming this fall and winter.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
FireTeam Bravo 2
Killzone Liberation
Lumines II
Madden 07
Mercury Metldown
Loco Roco
NBA Live 07
Powerstone Collection
Mortal Kombat Deception: Unchained
Need for Speed: Carbon
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
Thrillville
WWE Smackdown! vs. RAW 07

Yeah. Awesome stuff.

Plus with the support the PSP has from great developers including Square-Enix, the distant future looks bright as well.

I'm not a fanboy.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...p/DSC00953.jpg

I love my DS.

But the PSP is better.

It has better games, and can do many things that the DS can't.

Better looking and playing games + more media capability = better console.

Simple equation.

Memorize it.

SamNMax 08-05-2006 04:08 AM

And if you're not down with that, I got two words for ya...

DS Fanboy.

Karmillo 08-05-2006 04:20 AM

You forgot that the Ds has Burnout aswell, but that will probably fall under the madden example you showed.

Also for the PSP you forgot DBZ under the fighting games and you also fogot to mention Loco Rocco and the new Silent Hill for the Psp :D

Edit: oh wait, I see you put locco rocco under comming soon. Its out in the uk so I didnt think of looking for it there

SamNMax 08-05-2006 04:22 AM

Well, it's hard to get every game down, but the point still stands.

SakSquash 08-05-2006 04:23 AM

Too much to readddd. You own a lot of stuff, that's fo' sho'.

Anyway, if I had to pick between the two, i'd pick the DS to avoid long loading times.

SamNMax 08-05-2006 04:24 AM

Read the thread.

Karmillo 08-05-2006 04:24 AM

Aslo I didnt bother reading through that whole post but if you havent already you should probably state that the DS doesnt make a very good console to play out and about.

Shouting at your nintendog isnt the best thing to do while in public, and have you ever tried performing surgery while on a bus? It friggen sucks.

SamNMax 08-05-2006 04:24 AM

It's not even long. It just looks big.

SakSquash 08-05-2006 04:25 AM

What for. I don't buy portable gaming systems anyway. Who plays games outside their house?!

SamNMax 08-05-2006 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karmillo
Aslo I didnt bother reading through that whole post but if you havent already you should probably state that the DS doesnt make a very good console to play out and about.

Shouting at your nintendog isnt the best thing to do while in public, and have you ever tried performing surgery while on a bus? It friggen sucks.

Mentioned.

SakSquash 08-05-2006 04:27 AM

I still say the load times are what cripple it. Assuming I did buy one, i'd want to be able to pick it up and play it right away, and not have to sit there and wait for it to load.

SamNMax 08-05-2006 04:27 AM

Load times = small price to play. Read thread.

SakSquash 08-05-2006 04:28 AM

So graphics whores should get the PSP then?

SamNMax 08-05-2006 04:29 AM

Read It All and take off the bias.

SakSquash 08-05-2006 04:30 AM

I don't really have a bias. Just playing devil's advocate.

SamNMax 08-05-2006 04:30 AM

The devil is wrong.

SakSquash 08-05-2006 04:30 AM

PS

I can't believe you bought a slim DS when you already had a regular one. What's the point?

SamNMax 08-05-2006 04:31 AM

Two gamers in the household.

SakSquash 08-05-2006 04:31 AM

Oh yeah. I forgot.

Can I have your parents?