You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General 12 Reasons Why The PSP Is Better Than The DS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 01:45 AM   #101
Party On Dudes

you know when the headmaster calls you into the office and shouts at you for about five minutes and you feel ashamed to no end? i think that's what i just got.

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 08-08-2006, 07:01 AM   #102
Super Moderator

I don't know if you're referring to me yelling but I was in a grrrrr mood yesterday and the arguing was getting to me. I should never post when I'm in a pissy mood.

Mel
Old 08-08-2006, 09:56 AM   #103
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
I don't know if you're referring to me yelling but I was in a grrrrr mood yesterday and the arguing was getting to me. I should never post when I'm in a pissy mood.

Mel
No need to pan yourself, what you said was right.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:17 PM   #104
Party On Dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
No need to pan yourself, what you said was right.
he's right melanie, you were right and so was my headmaster. you just want the love back, there's nothing wrong with that.

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 08-08-2006, 08:41 PM   #105
is not wierd

I can certainly see how SamNMax's attitude can offend people; not saying he is one but it really makes him look like a snobby rich kid.

Anyways, I haven't really played either system but I disagree with your logic that better graphics = more fun or better play. That's all I really have to say.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:51 AM   #106
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

While thinking it was an ok thread, from the beginning, it very quickly took a turn for the worse.

Quote:
Which one looks like it will play best?
This is like pointing at two girls at the bar and saying to your mate, "Which one looks like she's better in the sack?"

Quote:
If you can't find at least 5 games worth playing on that list, then you are just a blind fanboy.
And a good rule of argument is not starting a thread by telling people that if they don't agree to one of your statements, then their blind fanboys.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:52 AM   #107
Chris Barraclough

It's probably been stated in this thread already, but the DS and the PSP are both very different systems and I don't think can be described as 'better' than the other. It depends what you want out of a handheld.

I have an Archos which I use for movies and music so when I came to get a handheld I looked at the price and games available. I decided the DS had more interesting games, as I'd mostly be using it for single player stuff on train journies. The PSP line up seemed to mostly consist of racers & sports games at the time, which are best in multiplayer. And I'm sick of the likes of GTA. The DS on the other hand has Metroid, Castlevania, Kirby, Phoenix Wright, Another Code, etc. not to mention the Mario games. All fantastically addictive.

However, if I wanted a full multimedia device and not just a handheld games console I probably would've gone for a PSP.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 08-09-2006, 05:57 AM   #108

If UMDs had more of a future I'd very much consider a PSP, but they're not quite the universal format that DVDs are (proprietary), lack extras, and resolution (useful for viewing on larger screens).

One of the best features of the DVD format is its ability to play in so many devices. So when the PSP finally dies out, I'd be stuck with a collection of movies that could only be played on the the PSP, and nowhere else. This isn't so large a problem for some people, but most of us don't have the money to easily transition our collections from one format to another. Add to this the ready availability of portable DVD players, and the UMD format becomes even less attractive. Purchasing movies on memory card is a good idea, but if it's a codec that's proprietary to the PSP, that also limits the future of your purchase, and the resolution would still be low for reasons of space. Recompressing the video for use on DVD or computer would only reduce quality further.

Other than this, I really like the PSP, and prefer its visual appearance to that of the DS. (It looks awesome.) While I've focused on some perceived negatives, I'm only leaving out positives because you've already done such a thorough job of listing them. It's a very versatile machine! Having said this, I consider the PSP equal to the DS, keeping in mind that hardware performance is only a portion of what makes a system worthwhile. There are exclusive games for both systems which warrant interest, and I'm not very biased against these so-called "kiddy" games, so that has no factor in the equation for me. (Bias against only reduces your selection anyways.)

If UMDs truly were universal, and had higher resolution for use on devices featuring larger screens, I'd certainly consider the PSP the superior system.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:25 AM   #109
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiltzkin
If UMDs truly were universal, and had higher resolution for use on devices featuring larger screens, I'd certainly consider the PSP the superior system.
Didnt they release something to let you plug your psp into your Tv?
Also no doubt the Ps3 will have a slot for them, but then again it still wouldnt be worth ÂŁ500
Old 08-09-2006, 07:45 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Didnt they release something to let you plug your psp into your Tv?
Yeah, the PSPonTV Adapter which uses a CCD camera technology to make the image look good when stretched onto a tv set. UMDs still lack resolution for such things, but it was much better than previous attempts. Still not as good as DVDs, but it's supposed to be nice.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:05 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
Again, Need For Speed Carbon:

See what I said by console like games?
Hmmm, that looks just a bit too console like. But what do I know, maybe sony has invented some way to display a thousand pixel wide image on a 400 pixel wide screen?

Quote:
* The PSP will have thousands of PS1 games available for download by the end of the year

This will just open up the library even more and make the PSP even better.
And with the inflated prices of memory sticks, that'll cost you thirty-something dollars a game, on top of what the game will actually cost, more if you use memory sticks of sizes other than 2 gigs, and that's for games that are only 1 cd.

Quote:
I find myself posting here or playing PC games with my PSP running a movie next to me.
You know, PCs can play movies too. And you don't need to buy them on the betamax of miniature optical discs.

Quote:
Sony is also discussing bundleing movies into memory sticks in the future. Awesome stuff.
At 240x320 resolution.

Quote:
* Music Playback

The PSP is an MP3 player. A damn fine one at that. The sound quality through a nice pair of headphones rivals that of an iPod.
That's not what they say on head-fi.

Quote:
* Internet Browsing on the PSP is great. Plus it's free.

The PSP's internet browser is great. I find myself using it all the time around town if I need to check something quickly. It's not perfect, but it's leaps and bounds better than most mobile browsers on cell phones and Palm Pilots.

Again, the DS is trying to play catch up with its Opera brower.

Which costs money.
Opera is not nintendo's browser. It's a cross platform browser that just happens to offer a DS version.

If you do know this, then what are you expecting, that nintendo forbids opera to sell their browser on the DS, just to be different?

Quote:
* The PSP is customizable

Make the system your own with custom wallpapers and themes. Download your very own music and movies to it.

Make a wallpaper for you PlayGear Pocket.

Stand out from the crowd.

You can't with a DS.
Wow, you couldn't sound more like a bad salesman here if you tried.

If you actually wanted to stand out, nintendo isn't forbiding you to paint or skin your DS.

Quote:
Load times = small price to play. Read thread.
But you already have to pay a significantly higher price for it.

Quote:
Why do I already feel this thread will just turn into a witch hunt saying I hate everything about DS? I mentioned in the original post I LOVE THE DS AND AM BEHIND IT 100%. Hell, I was a strong supporter of the "DS > PSP" idiology for a long time before I lifted the veil from my eyes.
So you admit you have a history of fanboyism?
Old 08-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #112
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeaf
So you admit you have a history of fanboyism?
LMAO. Good one.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:42 PM   #113
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
You shouldn't be so demeaning to retarded people.
I wonder were that fag Bauman stole that one from.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:22 PM   #114
Protector of the Seal

Wow, this thread is a mess... here's my two cents...

The only consoles I've owned have been NES, Genesis, and Gamecube, which I didn't get until 2003. Wind Waker was released and there were a lot of other good looking games and I could resist no longer. And it was a very nice change from the PC-only gaming I had been doing for years. Gaming seemed really, really fun again.

And I've never owned a handheld until the DS. There were a bunch of "must have" looking titles for it and I eventually caved and got one earlier this year. I only play it at home... the "gaming on the go" appeal is irrelevant. I just want to play the good games.

Lots of people bought PS2s, but I wasn't one of them and never will be. The system has the interesting looking game here and there, but not enough to make me want to buy a PS2. And it's the same thing for the PSP except the PSP has yet to have a game that looks any good to me. That would make sense seeing as how the games are mostly PS2 retreads.

I couldn't care less about the extra functionality of the PSP. I just want to play games. And the PSP has nothing I would spend money on. Even if you ported them all to the DS and charged $35 or less.

Long story short... it's all a matter of opinion. You say PSP is "better" and "owns" this or that... I say it's not worth five bucks.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:06 AM   #115

::edit::

Nevermind. I had a whole post written out here, but I don't really want to get involved in this pissing match.

I will say one thing, however. Having higher sales may not necessarily mean a console is "better," but ask Sega if they would rather the Dreamcast have their current cult following or if they would rather have sold a few million more consoles.

Last edited by Monroeski; 09-04-2006 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:13 PM   #116
woof

I think they would rather have the millions.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:43 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroeski
I will say one thing, however. Having higher sales may not necessarily mean a console is "better," but ask Sega if they would rather the Dreamcast have their current cult following or if they would rather have sold a few million more consoles.
Actually, I think they would have prefered to sell half a million less of a certain console(of which they sold half a million).

I think this is mostly a non issue, I'm sure both sega and their fans would like it if they hadn't shot themselves in the foot so bad before.