You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General 12 Reasons Why The PSP Is Better Than The DS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2006, 08:35 AM   #61
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco
And the nintendogs and brain training games, although they are clearly not mine or yours taste, we weren't the target. That's the revolution I was talking back. And with games like those Nintendo didn't need to be game/Mp3 player/movie player device to win the large crowd.
Nintendogs isnt really that much revolutionary. Catz and Dogz done it long ago.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:16 AM   #62

DS vs. PSP is pure opinion, just like any console vs. any console.

At the moment I own a DS because there are more DS games I like/want/in production that suit my tastes better. However, I will likely end up getting a PSP because of the PS1 support that is coming as well as a few games that are in production which interest me.

Games make the console, and the games people enjoy are down to personal opinion, so a console is never better than another console regardless of what anyone else says.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:10 AM   #63
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Nice, but weird.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:37 PM   #64
Homer of Kittens

The PSP has its fair share of problems.

The PSP has a huge library, but a lot of its games are PS2 ports. I'd rather play the game on the PS2 where it looks better and is technically superior (PSP ports tends to take huge amount of load time, sometimes close to a minute, and the lack of a second thumb stick makes the controls of some games unwieldy.) Another thing about PSP games is price. 49.99 for Burnout when it first came out is a hefty sum to pay for a handheld game. Compare that to the 34.99 for the most expensive DS game out there.

I admire a lot of the other features of the PSP, but again they fall short. The UMD movies are gorgeous looking, but why would you pay $20 bucks for a UMD when you can pay the same price for a DVD movie. And some UMD's cut out some scenes due to the 1.5 Gigs limitations. So no extra features/ some cut out scenes, for the same price. People started realizing it's not worth it, and if you read articles about it, UMD sales are suffering.

As far as the PS1 library goes, that's cool, but again you can probably buy them cheaper off ebay and play them on your PS2 rather than download them from Sony.

DS can play GBA games which you forgot to mention, and does not try to be a console in a handheld, but a very good handheld. It brings some innovation to the table, which people have appreciated judging by its sales numbers.
And I am yet to find any game on the PSP that can come close to the brilliance that is Advanced Wars.

And one more thing, the PS2 is better than the cube. Not technically obviously, but as a gaming console, it definitely offers much more than the cube did.

Firefox rules
Old 08-05-2006, 03:54 PM   #65
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
The PSP has a huge library, but a lot of its games are PS2 ports. I'd rather play the game on the PS2 where it looks better and is technically superior (PSP ports tends to take huge amount of load time, sometimes close to a minute, and the lack of a second thumb stick makes the controls of some games unwieldy.)
In all honesty, the load times are not as bad as people make them out to be. I have yet to wait around for a minute taking the game to load. Yeah, they can get annyoing sometimes, but as I said, samll price to pay. And the stuff about rather buying PS2 versions of games, funny thing about handhelds, they allow you to play those PS2 games ON THE THE GO. That's what makes it so awesome. You have these console-like games that can be played outside the house. That's why people who own one are 110% happy with it and were floored when they first took it out of the box.

Quote:
Another thing about PSP games is price. 49.99 for Burnout when it first came out is a hefty sum to pay for a handheld game. Compare that to the 34.99 for the most expensive DS game out there.
Apperntly, you didn't get the whole message of the "bang for your buck" thing. Burnout for PSP draws you in so much more than the DS could ever do, and lets look at this visual aid.

Which one looks like it will play best?

Quote:
I admire a lot of the other features of the PSP, but again they fall short. The UMD movies are gorgeous looking, but why would you pay $20 bucks for a UMD when you can pay the same price for a DVD movie.
Again, it's the idea of being able to watch a movie on a gorgeous screen with awesome sound and picture quality ON THE GO.

Quote:
And some UMD's cut out some scenes due to the 1.5 Gigs limitations. So no extra features/ some cut out scenes, for the same price. People started realizing it's not worth it,
Never happened to me.

Quote:
and if you read articles about it,UMD sales are suffering.
Not doubting that.

Quote:
As far as the PS1 library goes, that's cool, but again you can probably buy them cheaper off ebay and play them on your PS2 rather than download them from Sony.
The whole point is that's it's PORTABLE. You can play it anywhere.

Quote:
DS can play GBA games which you forgot to mention, and does not try to be a console in a handheld, but a very good handheld. It brings some innovation to the table
1) Yeah. Okay. It plays GBA games. But what's going to attract a gamer more? A handheld device that lets you play games from another handheld device, or playing PS1 games on a handheld? Yeah, thought so.

2) If you really think DS is more innovative than PSP, you are really turning a blind eye to anything positive about the PSP. Seriously, you think a touch screen or Ninentdogs is really more innovative than having a game machine with as much capability as the PS2 (in the case of games like Vice City stories, actually surpass the PS2), A near-flawless UMD movie player, internet capabilities and a great MP3 player all in one package, you are completely blind to what a handheld system can do.

Quote:
which people have appreciated judging by its sales numbers.
"The DS sells better, so it must be the better system." Awesome logic. Just like how the Dreamcast sucked ass 'cause it sold poorly.

Quote:
And I am yet to find any game on the PSP that can come close to the brilliance that is Advanced Wars.
In terms of strategy, Metal Gear Ac!d series. But of course you'll disagree with that no matter what.

Quote:
And one more thing, the PS2 is better than the cube. Not technically obviously, but as a gaming console, it definitely offers much more than the cube did.
Not according to DS fanboys.

Last edited by SamNMax; 08-05-2006 at 04:12 PM.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:16 PM   #66
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarleviathan
DS vs. PSP is pure opinion, just like any console vs. any console.

At the moment I own a DS because there are more DS games I like/want/in production that suit my tastes better. However, I will likely end up getting a PSP because of the PS1 support that is coming as well as a few games that are in production which interest me.

Games make the console, and the games people enjoy are down to personal opinion, so a console is never better than another console regardless of what anyone else says.
Shhh. They're not supposed to know that.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:18 PM   #67
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Sounds more like Sony Fanboy. lol.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 08-05-2006, 04:19 PM   #68
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
Sounds more like Sony Fanboy. lol.
lol obviously didn't listen to me when I said I'm pro DS 100%. lol.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:36 PM   #69
Hitch-Hiker

Ahuh. The DS is still selling like hotcakes many millions more than the PSP, so it goes to show the PSP DOES not have as good games as the DS, and yes I've seen your list and the DS still has more INOVATIVE and FUN games, the PSP is a downgraded PS2 doing nothing new, unlike the DS which focuses on GAMMING & INNOVATING and not being a jack of all traits. But meh, I've had a hard day at work earning money, (and its 2am) and dont really want to argue which system is TEH ROZZXORSZ!11 oen 1one1 with little children. So go play on your 360, PSP, DS and everyother system you mommy buys you.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 08-05-2006, 04:46 PM   #70
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
Ahuh. The DS is still selling like hotcakes many millions more than the PSP, so it goes to show the PSP DOES not have as good games as the DS, and yes I've seen your list and the DS still has more INOVATIVE and FUN games, the PSP is a downgraded PS2 doing nothing new, unlike the DS which focuses on GAMMING & INNOVATING and not being a jack of all traits.
The Ds may have more innovative games but it sure as hell doesn't have more fun games, about half of the games that are out for the Ds are decent. And there arn't many games out for the Ds.

Quote:
But meh, I've had a hard day at work earning money, (and its 2am) and dont really want to argue which system is TEH ROZZXORSZ!11 oen 1one1 with little children. So go play on your 360, PSP, DS and everyother system you mommy buys you.
You're an Idiot.

Last edited by Karmillo; 08-05-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:53 PM   #71
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
The Ds may have more innovative games but it sure as hell doesn't have more fun games, about half of the games that are out for the Ds are decent. And there arn't many games out for the Ds.
And the PSP does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
You're and Idiot.
So the rumours are true?

_

Old 08-05-2006, 05:14 PM   #72
woof

Geez, there I fixed it.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:21 PM   #73
woof

My language has capitalisation wherever I feel like it
Old 08-05-2006, 05:42 PM   #74
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
...ON THE GO
...ON THE GO
...PORTABLE
And there lies the difference between us. When I am not at home, I am hanging out with my friends, in a bar somewhere, playing soccer, or at work. I really don't play much portable games (or any games for that matter) outside my house. When I commute to my work, I use a car because public transportation in california bites, so even then I am driving. The only time I play portable games is when I'm on the couch, and with a wireless controller and a trip to the PS2 to turn it on, it is as convenient to play the PS2 as it is the PSP.

If you play your portables outside more often, and don't get to play your consoles too much, then probably bringing a PS2 on a portable makes sense.

Firefox rules
Old 08-05-2006, 05:50 PM   #75

I can't see what's the point of seeing movies on the go... in a tiny screen, doesn't that ruin the experience. I already dislike watching movies on the Tv screen compared to a theatre experience.
Maybe if it was a short sitcom or youtube, but movies? and paying 20$ or more. That doesn't seem like a good deal.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:54 PM   #76
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
And there lies the difference between us. When I am not at home, I am hanging out with my friends, in a bar somewhere, playing soccer, or at work. I really don't play much portable games (or any games for that matter) outside my house. When I commute to my work, I use a car because public transportation in california bites, so even then I am driving. The only time I play portable games is when I'm on the couch, and with a wireless controller and a trip to the PS2 to turn it on, it is as convenient to play the PS2 as it is the PSP.

If you play your portables outside more often, and don't get to play your consoles too much, then probably bringing a PS2 on a portable makes sense.
Yay.

I only play handhelds when traveling anyway.

Old 08-05-2006, 05:55 PM   #77
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco
I can't see what's the point of seeing movies on the go... in a tiny screen, doesn't that ruin the experience. I already dislike watching movies on the Tv screen compared to a theatre experience.
Maybe if it was a short sitcom or youtube, but movies? and paying 20$ or more. That doesn't seem like a good deal.
I don't think seeing the mvoie on a screen less than twenty feet high ruins the experience.

Old 08-05-2006, 06:02 PM   #78

But do you own a lot of UMD and watch them?

(this is just curiosity, although I've seen lots of PSP playing games, never really watched a movie on one so I might be wrong)
Old 08-05-2006, 06:08 PM   #79
SamNMax

Just a few. I do watch them repeatedly on road trips. But nowhere else.

Old 08-05-2006, 10:01 PM   #80
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Are UMD movies still being made? I thought that nobody bought them.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.