You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Dead Rising Demo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2006, 06:06 PM   #1
Banned User

Default Dead Rising Demo

Meh.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
Homer of Kittens

From the gameplay footage I've seen before, it did seem like a "Kill the Zombies, then the next ones, then the next ones" Fest.

Firefox rules
Old 08-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #3
SamNMax

"Let's take Dawn of the Dead and make it State of Emergency!"

Hm.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:57 PM   #4
FlipFrame

I always wondered about AGer's judging books by their covers...I would conclude these people would be anathemas to a community that celebrates creativity.

Seriously guys, if you like action games, I can GUARANTEE you will not be disappointed. And for what its worth, the zombies are an "obstacle", with literally hundreds of satisfying ways to dispatch them. The game is actually about survival, and has very compelling stories within, where the zombies are in your way to doing what you need to do(and of course they are a mystery in and of themselves; why are they there?). The five cutscenes you can discover in the demo alone ask many intriguing questions, adding much substance to your "zombie kill-fest". The acting is actually very good and the game is darker than you'd think, with human-nature being far more revealing than the threat of thousands of zombies.

Its a very well executed production, very satisfying to "kill zombies" (with hundreds of "weapons" that are for the most part, all unique in animation, execution and effect) and has just tons of little details. Its an open-world type game, with full on free exploration of the mall and surrounding areas, a bunch of 'human' characters fueling the drama, and 10 different endings. The game lasts 72 hours (6 hours realtime) and you choices through the gameplay lead you to one of the outcomes.

Now, if you don't like action games, then yea, look elsewhere, but for straight on zombie combat, this is by far the best, most creative of its kind yet.

Cheers
Old 08-04-2006, 11:32 PM   #5

"It's our god-given right as americans to defend ourselves with a gun."

This game is fantastic! I'm not a big fan of pointless hack'n'slash, and prefer some variety. The zombies aren't very threatening, unless they get stacked up on you, but the fun parts are all the different ways to kill them off. I particularly liked using the bowling ball into a crowd of zombies so they fall down like pins. And appearently, using cooking oil on the ground makes the zombies slip. You can also heat up the frying pan before smashing it into their faces. And you can skateboard!

I'm definately getting this on release. Saints Row and Dead Rising in the near future, this is a good time to have an X360.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:17 AM   #6
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
Saints Row and Dead Rising in the near future, this is a good time to have an X360.

Amen sista
Old 08-05-2006, 12:21 AM   #7
Banned User

The full game might be good, but come on. 7 hours worth of gameplay, and then you kill zombies...over and over and over again. When State of Emergency came out, people raved about how great it was...two days later, they raved about how boring it was. I see the same thing happening for this game.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
The full game might be good, but come on. 7 hours worth of gameplay, and then you kill zombies...over and over and over again. When State of Emergency came out, people raved about how great it was...two days later, they raved about how boring it was. I see the same thing happening for this game.
This game is nothing like State of Emergency. Have you even tried the demo? Because, if you haven't, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Oh, and I don't remember many people raving about State of Emergency either. Most of them actually bashed the game.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:01 AM   #9
Banned User

That's funny, because the developers have done nothing except COMPARE IT TO STATE OF EMERGENCY!

I played the demo about 18 times. Is that enough to know it's boring? (The demo mind you, not the game)
Old 08-05-2006, 01:04 AM   #10
SamNMax

Quote:
Oh, and I don't remember many people raving about State of Emergency either. Most of them actually bashed the game.
I do.

I admit I've yet to play the demo, but I have pre-ordered this game. And even though it seems similar on the outside, I'm thinking the full game will be worth it.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:05 AM   #11

Quote:
That's funny, because the developers have done nothing except COMPARE IT TO STATE OF EMERGENCY!

I played the demo about 18 times. Is that enough to know it's boring? (The demo mind you, not the game)

I don't really give a crap about what the developers says, I don't think it's much like State of Emergency. The only thing they share is that there are a lot of people/zombies on the screen at once, and that you can kill everyone off. But that's where the similarities stop.

Oh, and playing the demo 18 times? I thought you said it was boring? Why the hell would you play a demo 18 times if you found it boring? And who wouldn't find a demo boring after 18 times, especially since it's only been out since yesterday at 11 a.m BST?
Old 08-05-2006, 01:05 AM   #12
Banned User

I'm sure the story elements are great, but $60 for 7 hours doesn't sound like a good deal to me.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:09 AM   #13
Banned User

Quote:
I don't really give a crap about what the developers says, I don't think it's much like State of Emergency. The only thing they share is that there are a lot of people/zombies on the screen at once, and that you can kill everyone off. But that's where the similarities stop.

Oh, and playing the demo 18 times? I thought you said it was boring? Why the hell would you play a demo 18 times if you found it boring? And who wouldn't find a demo boring after 18 times, especially since it's only been out since yesterday at 11 a.m BST?
I played it 18 times because I really wanted to like it, so I gave it as many goes as I could, but it was boring the first time I played it and the last time I played it. Why can't you just except that I didn't like the demo?
Old 08-05-2006, 01:12 AM   #14
SamNMax

Quote:
I'm sure the story elements are great, but $60 for 7 hours doesn't sound like a good deal to me.
I don't know, it obviously not a game that was designed to play through it only once.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:13 AM   #15
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
I don't know, it obviously not a game that was designed to play through it only once.
Probably, but with that lame demo that didn't let you do much, who can tell?
Old 08-05-2006, 01:17 AM   #16
SamNMax

I think I'll replay the Saint's Row demo or something.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:20 AM   #17

Quote:
I played it 18 times because I really wanted to like it, so I gave it as many goes as I could, but it was boring the first time I played it and the last time I played it. Why can't you just except that I didn't like the demo?
I accept that you don't like the game, but you bashed the game for not having any lasting appeal and compared it to State of Emergency and expects everyone to forget about it after two days. Sure, it's not an everlasting game, but then again, how many adventure games are?

And you know, Shadow of Memories only lastet 3-5 hours the first time through, but as with Dead Rising, it's designed to be played through more than once. It's up to you to make it last in a game like this.

Either way, we may not agree, but that doesn't mean one of us is wrong. Let's end this pointless discussion now, shall we ?
Old 08-05-2006, 01:23 AM   #18
Banned User

First of, it was the developers who were making the comparisons, not me. Second, uh...well I dunno. I'm going to rent it. The end.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Probably, but with that lame demo that didn't let you do much, who can tell?
Actually, the demo lets you do tons of stuff. What did you do, plow through the zombies with your shotgun and scythe and thought that was it?

Try finding a skateboard, the katana, a bowling ball (and let the zombies be the pins), take boob and upskirt pictures for points :p, read books, try different clothes, run a trolley into the crowd, hit golfballs on the zombies with the golf club, pour cooking oil on the floor so the zombies slip, heat up the frying pan before burning their faces, mix your own drinks for special abilities (untouchable for example), put a zombies severed hand in a zombies mouth, eat some food.

These are some of the things you can do in the demo. How many demos lets you do all these things?
Old 08-05-2006, 02:07 AM   #20
Banned User

I can do all those things you listed in one play through...big deal. It's all about killing zombies. I wanted to do a mission.