Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   ''Doomfall: The Longest Journey'' Now 360 Compatible! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/15418-doomfall-longest-journey-now-360-compatible.html)

Dasilva 06-13-2006 09:34 AM

''Doomfall: The Longest Journey'' Now 360 Compatible!

''Doomfall: The Longest Journey'' - http://eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=65481

Will soon be available on the 360. Now I can get it for Xbox too!! :P

Dale Baldwin 06-13-2006 09:38 AM

Heh, someone had Doom on the brain when they wrote that list. Anyway, that is good news. :)

Mayboy 06-13-2006 11:14 AM

Whats "Doomfall" :D

For me the fact still remains that i need the 360 hard drive which is £69 and a second hand X-Box starts from £49.99...enough said.

Intrepid Homoludens 06-13-2006 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasilva
Will soon be available on the 360. Now I can get it for Xbox too!! :P

http://smilies.vidahost.com/ups/sicdeth/headscratch.gif Why would you wanna buy a game twice?

So, will there be any difference in graphics quality?

Dasilva 06-13-2006 11:27 AM

Probably, it will look better.

Intrepid Homoludens 06-13-2006 11:45 AM

Like you on a good day?

*runs*

Dasilva 06-13-2006 11:52 AM

I'll catch you! you! you! You whore!

*runs after Beiddie*

tsa 06-13-2006 12:01 PM

Watch the language people.

RaMa 06-13-2006 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
http://smilies.vidahost.com/ups/sicdeth/headscratch.gif Why would you wanna buy a game twice?

To beat the 3 copies I have? :D

Quote:

''Doomfall: The Longest Journey'' - http://eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=65481

Oh my god. Those people at Eurogamers are not the least bit childish :shifty:.

Dasilva 06-13-2006 01:34 PM

They did it on purpose? :P

Boneho Chane 06-13-2006 01:39 PM

Microsoft has some bad choices for their backwards compatibilty. Sure they have some good ones, I believe Metal Arms was on the first list. But Barbie's Horse Adventure and Bad Boys II? Those were titles infamous for their for their crapiness.

I too still need a harddrive though. ;(

RaMa 06-13-2006 01:42 PM

Quote:

They did it on purpose? :P

It's a pretty big mistake to make and they don't very much like Dreamfall. :P But maybe I'm just too protective.

Or not...

Dasilva 06-13-2006 02:19 PM

Nah, EuroGamer are pretty inmature at times and some reviews seem to be written by fan boys more than someone who cant see two sides of a story.

Lucien21 06-13-2006 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boneho Chane
Microsoft has some bad choices for their backwards compatibilty. Sure they have some good ones, I believe Metal Arms was on the first list. But Barbie's Horse Adventure and Bad Boys II? Those were titles infamous for their for their crapiness.

I too still need a harddrive though. ;(

As Microsoft have said again and again. In trying to write emulation programs to get certain games to work it will mean that some other games that use the same technology will also benefit from the emulation fix.

They don't go out of their way to make Bad Boys 2 backwardly compatible it's just a side effect.

stinking_dylan 06-14-2006 01:58 AM

Quote:

Probably, it will look better.

Why would it look better at lower resolution? Oblivion certainly didn't.

stuboy 06-14-2006 07:43 AM

If sony can make universal backwardly-compatible hardware, why do MS have to emulate?

Scott Nixon 06-14-2006 07:59 AM

Why would an Xbox game look better than a PC developed counterpart? This is not a 360 enhanced version... it's the original Xbox version running on 360's backward compat hardware... it's going to look like an Xbox game, not a 360 game.

insane_cobra 06-14-2006 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuboy
If sony can make universal backwardly-compatible hardware, why do MS have to emulate?

Because PS2 handles the problem by also including most of PS1's hardware. Microsoft can't do that because intellectual rights over the main Xbox components belong to NVIDIA and Intel so it wouldn't be feasible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Nixon
it's going to look like an Xbox game, not a 360 game.

In some cases games will look better than that, but not nearly as good as native Xbox 360 games.

Dasilva 06-14-2006 09:12 AM

So in theory, Xbox games look much better, the ones I played anyway. Unlike the PS3, all the PS2 & PS1 game will not be 'made pretty'. :P

Intrepid Homoludens 06-14-2006 10:40 AM

:) I played a bit of Crimson Skies: High Road To Revenge and Jade Empire, both Xbox titles, on my 360. I'm not surprised that they both looked good enough, considering they were designed to go up to 480p.

Aren't PS2 games only done for analog TVs?

SoccerDude28 06-14-2006 10:47 AM

They should try to emulate every single XBOX game out, judging by the quality of the crappy games for the 360 right now. :P At least you guys can now enjoy grabbed by the ghoulie and Bad Boys 2. :devil:

insane_cobra 06-14-2006 11:08 AM

Quote:

So in theory, Xbox games look much better, the ones I played anyway. Unlike the PS3, all the PS2 & PS1 game will not be 'made pretty'. :P

That doesn't have to be the case, PS3 will also use emulation for achieving backwards compatibility. However, you won't be able to experience rumble features without third party controllers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
They should try to emulate every single XBOX game out, to compensate for the quality of the crappy games for the 360 right now. :P

I know you're just being a troll, but what crappy quality?

Intrepid Homoludens 06-14-2006 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insane_cobra
That doesn't have to be the case, PS3 will also use emulation for achieving backwards compatibility. However, you won't be able to experience rumble features without third party controllers.

I lost track of the news, but did Sony lose that U.S. lawsuit with the force feedback patent holders? I think last time I heard, they lost and were appealing the decision.

Quote:

:P Soccsie is our resident Sony apologist.

Jatsie 06-14-2006 11:51 AM

Quote:

I lost track of the news, but did Sony lose that U.S. lawsuit with the force feedback patent holders? I think last time I heard, they lost and were appealing the decision.

According to my sources they lost the case, then lost the appeal also.

I think my dual shock 2 controller is broken, recently the rumbles have felt a little queer.

It lasted five years, which I suppose is quite good, I don't think I'll bother to replace it at this juncture.

SoccerDude28 06-14-2006 11:59 AM

Quote:

:P Soccsie is our resident Sony apologist.

I gotta balance things out over here :P

Quote:

There really hasn't been anything on the 360 that made me get all excited about it (beside Oblivion which I already own on a PC). I mean you look at their line up and it is crammed with shooters and sports titles. If you are into that, you might love it, but I am bored to death with those 2 genres. There are some promising games announced for it though like Bioshock and Mass Effect, but the rest of the gamut is just not that exciting in my opinion. But this is a console for those "hardcore" gamers, and I can understand why some people who enjoy these genres will like it.

Dasilva 06-14-2006 12:04 PM

Imagine playing PS1 & PS2 games when you have a HD TV, they'll be all fuzzy probably, since Sony is just putting a PS1 & a PS2 inside the PS3. (the lazy way out if you ask me)

Dasilva 06-14-2006 12:10 PM

And in defense to Microsft, they've had amazing games so far!

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Perfect Dark Zero
Project Gotham Racing 3
Call of Duty 2
Dead or Alive 4
Burnout Revenge
Kameo: Elements of Power
Need for Speed Most Wanted
Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie
Fight Night Round 3
Tomb Raider: Legend
Far Cry Instincts Predator
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Ridge Racer 6
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat
Blazing Angels
2006 FIFA World Cup

To me, theres something for everyone and no matter what anyone says, those are all good-to-amazing games.

Intrepid Homoludens 06-14-2006 12:11 PM

I don't have the case with me right now, so does anyone know if the Xbox version of Dreamfall is optimized for 480p? I played it entirely on the original Xbox but still have yet to see how it looks in HD.

Dasilva 06-14-2006 12:26 PM

No info has been released yet, I will get the Xbox version as soon as its released on the 30th of this month. (UK) And I'll tell ya all about it. :P

Jatsie 06-14-2006 12:36 PM

Are you sure about that?

The only place I know of that has the Xbox version listed is play.com and they have the release date listed as the 30th of September.

It could well be a typo, but it's mysterious.

insane_cobra 06-14-2006 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jat316sob
According to my sources they lost the case, then lost the appeal also.

I didn't know they lost the appeal, I believe someone might've gotten that wrong. They lost the case only very recently and I haven't seen any mention of them losing the appeal until now.

Hm, I've done some googling and came up with this, but I haven't noticed DualShock was being pulled off the shelves.

Quote:

There really hasn't been anything on the 360 that made me get all excited about it (beside Oblivion which I already own on a PC). I mean you look at their line up and it is crammed with shooters and sports titles. If you are into that, you might love it, but I am bored to death with those 2 genres. There are some promising games announced for it though like Bioshock and Mass Effect, but the rest of the gamut is just not that exciting in my opinion. But this is a console for those "hardcore" gamers, and I can understand why some people who enjoy these genres will like it.

Some genres have certainly been neglected thus far (like console, ie. japanese RPG-s - even though many have been announced, maybe even more than for PS3), but it's the question of taste, not of crappy game quality. :P

Still, even though I'm not the biggest fan of hardcore genres myself (the way you define them - normally I wouldn't agree with that at all), I find Microsoft's announced non-hardcore line-up waaaay more appealing than what Sony had to show so far. Especially if we're talking about games we'll actually have the chance to play in the following 12 months.

Quote:

Imagine playing PS1 & PS2 games when you have a HD TV, they'll be all fuzzy probably, since Sony is just putting a PS1 & a PS2 inside the PS3. (the lazy way out if you ask me)

Just several posts ago I said that won't be the case. Sony's official stance is PS3 will use emulation to achieve backwards compatibility, it won't contain PS1 and PS2 hardware.

Intrepid Homoludens 06-14-2006 01:58 PM

:P Okay, we should continue this Xbox360 vs. PS2 talk in this thread.

insane_cobra 06-14-2006 02:31 PM

Nah, this is way better. Living dangerously!

SoccerDude28 06-14-2006 04:03 PM

Quote:

I find Microsoft's announced non-hardcore line-up waaaay more appealing than what Sony had to show so far.

What are some of the "appealing" non-hardcore games that Microsoft has announced? Please don't say Viva Pinata? :P

Spiwak 06-14-2006 06:24 PM

I don't see any problem on the page. It's "Dreamfall" there. It was probably a mistake that was corrected when they realized.

Intrepid Homoludens 06-14-2006 09:47 PM

http://xboxmedia.gamespy.com/xbox/im...1044334363.jpg

More Xbox Games Playable on Xbox 360 | Gamespy, June 13, 2006

Quote:

Microsoft expands the list of playable games again.

27 Xbox titles have been added to the roster of games that can be played using the backwards-compatible functionality of the Xbox 360. Some of the highlights from this batch include LEGO Star Wars and RalliSport Challenge. In a new move, Microsoft has made this update available for download at the official Xbox 360 website, for people without access to Xbox Live. Once downloaded, PC owners can burn the update to a CD and use it to update their Xbox 360.

Here is the complete list of new games supported:

* 4x4 EVO 2
* Amped 2
* Bad Boys 2
* Big Mutha Truckers
* DOOM 3
* Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
* Fatal Frame
* FlatOut
* Grabbed by the Ghoulies
* Intellivision Lives
* LEGO Star Wars
* Minority Report
* MLB SlugFest 20-04
* The Punisher
* RalliSport Challenge
* Silent Hill 4: The Room
* Spawn Armageddon
* Spider-Man
* Star Wars Battlefront
* State of Emergency
* Zapper

EDIT: :) I have it for Xbox, and just popped it in now into my Xbox360. Looks quite good at 480p. :P So, Dasaliva, I don't need your field report anymore, nyah nyah!!! And now I'm watching the first cutscene, Zoe in her skivvies lying in her room in Casablanca watching TV. It's actually quite gorgeous looking in HD!! Mmmmmmm!!! :9~ Must. Resist. Playing. It. A. Second. Time. But. In. High. Definition.....

RaMa 06-14-2006 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiwak
I don't see any problem on the page. It's "Dreamfall" there. It was probably a mistake that was corrected when they realized.

Thank god :D :P.

Intrepid Homoludens 06-14-2006 10:59 PM

:D Off topic, but I just looked at my Xbox version of Still Life and saw that it can play on HD at 720p. Cool.

insane_cobra 06-14-2006 11:16 PM

Quote:

What are some of the "appealing" non-hardcore games that Microsoft has announced? Please don't say Viva Pinata? :P

By "non-hardcore" I meant everything but shooters and sports games as that's how you used the phrase. So yes, Viva Pinata, but also Alan Wake, Dead Rising, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, The Shadow of Aten, Fable 2 and a buttload of XBLA games. Hell, even Dead or Alive Xtreme 2. :D
Unless you're so naive to consider that a sports title. ;)

That's not a whole lot of games, but I think it's a much more interesting selection than what's been announced for PS3. And by announced I mean officially announced, not we-know-they'll-be-made-one-day games like next gen Ratchet and Clank.

Quote:

:D Off topic, but I just looked at my Xbox version of Still Life and saw that it can play on HD at 720p. Cool.

Off topic? Do you see anyone who's on topic here? :)

Intrepid Homoludens 06-14-2006 11:28 PM

Quote:

By "non-hardcore" I meant everything but shooters and sports games as that's how you used the phrase. So yes, Viva Pinata, but also Alan Wake, Dead Rising, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, The Shadow of Aten, Fable 2 and a buttload of XBLA games. Hell, even Dead or Alive Xtreme 2. :D
Unless you're so naive to consider that a sports title. ;)

That's not a whole lot of games, but I think it's a much more interesting selection than what's been announced for PS3. And by announced I mean officially announced, not we-know-they'll-be-made-one-day games like next gen Ratchet and Clank.

OMG! You actually forgot Rockstar Presents Table Tennis?!!!

cobsie

Well, it's out now and receiving favourable reviews, but still, it does fall well within the perimeters of 'non hardcore', don't it? I mean, hey, even The New York Times has just reviewed it. How 'non hardcore' is that? LOL!