You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General What do you recommend?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2006, 04:34 PM   #1
Lover and Fighter

Default What do you recommend?

I'm curious to know what games everyone would recommend. My funds are limited and I've bought too many games recently that I didn't end up liking, so I'd like to limit myself to how many I purchase in a given timeframe, which means of course that I want to make sure that what I purchase will be something I like!

Here are some games I've really enjoyed in the past. Based on this list, does anyone have any recommendations?

The entire Myst series
The Journeyman Project series
Games like The Sims and The Sims2
City-building games like Caesar, Zeus, and Pharoah: Cleopatra (though I didn't like Sid Meier's Civilization)
Hack n' Slash games like Diablo and Diablo II, and Dungeons and Dragons Pool of Radiance
I'm currently playing and enjoying Syberia and Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

If anyone can make any recommendations based on my interests, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks!!

Edit: I should add that I don't tend to like first-person shooter games like Halo, though I really, REALLY enjoyed Clive Barker's Undying (mostly because of the setting and storyline).

I also love games that are set in the distant past.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:22 AM   #2
I'm complicated

Send a message via MSN to smashing

You didn't like Civilisation? Hmm...

Anyway, if you're not willing to spend too much money, try not to get into the latest games published. Titles released are often hit-and-misses. While some games are in for the quick bucks while hosting tonnes of bugs in them; some just repeat the age-old formulae, in hope of getting the loyalty of genre-specific fans. And too often, we find that we don't have enough time, or we don't give enough time to a game to fully appreciate it. For instance, if you were barely playing a RPG for 1 hour or so, could you even tell whether you would enjoy it?

Try to look at titles people rave about, and titles that have a long shelf-life i.e. to put it bluntly, forget about any title with a year in it (e.g. Madden '0X, NBA 2KX).

Anyway, I remember that the game people around here raved about last year was psychonaut. I think there should still be copies available. Another one would be Fahrenheit (or Indigo Prophecy).
Old 05-22-2006, 07:34 AM   #3
Lover and Fighter

Thanks for the info. Maybe I should mention that it was Civilization III that I tried, so maybe it's just that particular one in the series that I don't like. I haven't tried any of the others. I loved Heroes of Might & Magic III, but I didn't really like the way IV was set up, so I know sometimes it's just a particular issue out of a series.

I noticed that Elder Scrolls IV is out. Since I loved Morrowind, would anyone recommend I pick up IV? I've never played I or II either. Can I even get those anymore, and is it worth it? I know sometimes when you play a newer version in a game series it makes the older versions seem antiquated and disappointing.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
In an evening of July...

You can download Elder Scrolls I: Arena for free. No, its not worth it. But you can.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:03 PM   #5
Lover and Fighter

Thanks. Since it's free I'll give it a whirl.

I just finished Syberia and enjoyed that. Is Syberia II worthwhile?
Old 05-22-2006, 12:18 PM   #6
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katran
I should add that I don't tend to like first-person shooter games like Halo, though I really, REALLY enjoyed Clive Barker's Undying (mostly because of the setting and storyline).

Nosferatu, Aliens vs Predator 2.

It's definitely worth getting Aliens vs Predator 2, then. It's full of startling 'Boo!' moments and suspense, though it's not a historical setting. You can choose to play as The Marine, the Alien, or the Predator, so the game has replay value. Try the demo first before deciding.

And then there's Nosferatu: The Wrath Of Malachi, a vampire themed horror FPS released over 2 years ago; it's set in the past (Victorian period?) and is quite atmospheric. I've only played the demo but got a good impression of how good it is, though it received mediocre to good scores. Try the demo!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-22-2006, 12:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks. Since it's free I'll give it a whirl.

I just finished Syberia and enjoyed that. Is Syberia II worthwhile?
Yes. Not as good, but still good.

In the same vein, you could try Paradise, or, if you like darker games, Still Life.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:32 PM   #8
Lover and Fighter

Thanks guys! I remember now someone mentioning Nosferatu awhile back. And I've always been curious about Alien vs Predator. If you can play as different characters, then that is way cool. Thanks for the demo links!

I got an email advert for Paradise, and that is actually what made me decide to finally pick up Syberia, because of the comparison they made. I figured I'd play Syberia (I didn't even know there was a II) first, then move on to Paradise if I liked that.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:58 PM   #9
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Man... Alien vs Predator has to be the hardest FPS I've ever played .

If you like Undying I'd actually recommend you try out Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. It does degenerate into a shooter, apparently, but there's quite a lot of adventure-like goodness in there. And the setting is great .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:23 PM   #10
In an evening of July...

If you are into atmospheric FPS games with horror and adventure elements - Vampire: Bloodlines might be just the right game for you. It is buggy, and it is slow on nearly any setup, but it still awesome. You'll certainly enjoy being a vampire in modern Las Vegas.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:06 PM   #11
I'm complicated

Quote:
Thanks guys! I remember now someone mentioning Nosferatu awhile back. And I've always been curious about Alien vs Predator. If you can play as different characters, then that is way cool. Thanks for the demo links!

I got an email advert for Paradise, and that is actually what made me decide to finally pick up Syberia, because of the comparison they made. I figured I'd play Syberia (I didn't even know there was a II) first, then move on to Paradise if I liked that.
Frankly, it feel so incomplete to finish Syberia I to find out that the story is incomplete. Nothing gets me more irritated than an unfinished story. Since adventure games are so grounded to the story-telling roots, playing Syberia I without getting onto Syberia II is just uber-irritating. So, for the sake of finishing the story, do continue onto Syberia II. As a game however, do expect to feel disappointed in some aspects...
Old 05-23-2006, 03:36 AM   #12
Lover and Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
If you like Undying I'd actually recommend you try out Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

I belong to an Undying fan community and several members have recommended the same game, so I'll definitely be checking into that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze
If you are into atmospheric FPS games with horror and adventure elements - Vampire: Bloodlines might be just the right game for you.

Finished it and loved it. And you're right, buggy big time! I had a lot of issues with the cinematics freezing and skipping, not to mention the game would crash if I played too long at a time. I learned to save VERY frequently!!
Old 05-23-2006, 03:58 AM   #13
Lover and Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashing
Frankly, it feel so incomplete to finish Syberia I to find out that the story is incomplete. Nothing gets me more irritated than an unfinished story. Since adventure games are so grounded to the story-telling roots, playing Syberia I without getting onto Syberia II is just uber-irritating. So, for the sake of finishing the story, do continue onto Syberia II. As a game however, do expect to feel disappointed in some aspects...

Thanks. I agree, I hate to be left hanging on a storyline like that. I'll probably pick up Syberia II. Thanks for the warning about disappointment. I'll go into it with cautious optimism.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:57 AM   #14

You mentioned playing Morrowind. Well, there's always Oblivion. It's arguably a tad below Morrowind in terms of overall enjoyment, but it's still great, and extremely beautiful.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:57 PM   #15
Staff Member

Low budget, you say? In Memoriam / Missing is a very interesting internet research / mini-game adventure that I picked up for the princely sum of £2. I would also recommend getting your RPG on with something from bioware; if you have an xbox, gamestation in the UK are currently selling Jade Empire for a fiver. There's also an old game based on the Dune books which combines strategy with adventure in a way you might like. I hear it's so cheap you can purchase it with gay ABANDON if you know what I mean...
Old 05-23-2006, 08:27 PM   #16
Lover and Fighter

Thanks guys. I'm glad to hear Oblivian is a good choice. I'll also have to look for that Dune game (you don't know what the title was by any chance, do you?). I am a pretty big Dune fan (I've read all the books so far, seen the theatrical and Sci-Fi Channel films, and am eagerly awaiting future books that Brian Herbert is working on), so I'd love to check out any game based on Dune.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:06 PM   #17
I'm complicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuboy
Low budget, you say? In Memoriam / Missing is a very interesting internet research / mini-game adventure that I picked up for the princely sum of £2.
You're not kidding are you? Do they do shipping overseas? Last I check, In Memoriam is still selling at S$39.90 (= £13.36) here in Singapore...

Quote:
I would also recommend getting your RPG on with something from bioware; if you have an xbox, gamestation in the UK are currently selling Jade Empire for a fiver.
Fable was released on PC sometime ago. It was a true porting over from XBOX to PC, and the enjoyment level should be the same.

Quote:
There's also an old game based on the Dune books which combines strategy with adventure in a way you might like. I hear it's so cheap you can purchase it with gay ABANDON if you know what I mean...
You meant this?
Old 05-23-2006, 11:39 PM   #18
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashing
You meant this?
No, this.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:47 PM   #19
I'm complicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
No, this.
Hmm... I think it's definitely not this...

Man! There's so many Dune games...
Old 05-24-2006, 07:40 AM   #20
Lover and Fighter

I may just have to check into all of them.