You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Yves Guillemot speaks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2004, 06:33 AM   #1

Default Yves Guillemot speaks

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3257458.stm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News
Yves Guillemot is boss of French game studio Ubisoft and has been involved in the games industry since its earliest days. Here he gives his views on the way that the industry has to change to keep players interested.
Very limited information here. Except for something called Ambient AI which will be present in the next Splinter Cell game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves Guillemot
"Part of the problem is", he says, "is that many game makers are stuck with the one-size-fits-all mindset that takes little account of the different amounts of time that people have to devote to a game or for their varying skill levels.

Players who cannot dedicate hours to learning particular moves or honing their skill can lose interest because they cannot get past a particular point", says Mr Guillemot.

"You should at least have the same game experience even if you are not as good," he says.
I completely agree with this guy. And it is this idea that makes me go for a open-ended approach towards adventure gaming. The player should be able to approach the game from a multitude of perspectives. But let's not have that argument again...

Old 01-02-2004, 06:58 AM   #2

UbiSoft is quickly becoming one of my favorite developers/publishers. After I get PoP with Splinter Cell for free, 4 of the 6 games I own for XBOX will be UbiSoft games. They have made some quality games recently. I hope that they keep it up.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:46 AM   #3
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Ubisoft are building up a nice army of fresh franchises, both original and taken from outside developers (Beyond Good & Evil, XIII, Uru: Ages Beyond Myst).
Old 01-02-2004, 11:58 AM   #4
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I have quite a lot of respect for Ubi Soft. In fact, it's currently my favorite publisher.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:09 PM   #5
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Yes, same here. I predict good things for them in the future. They seem to have taken a very different turn compared to Infogrames/Atari...
Old 01-02-2004, 02:25 PM   #6
Umbilicus Mundi

Same here yada yada yada