You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General You Lose (X360 vs. PS3)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2006, 11:34 AM   #61
merely human

Nice try, Catbert, but I personally prefer to just game on my 360 and do work on my laptop (and a bit of gaming pending). It's much better suited for my life right now.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-18-2006, 11:38 AM   #62
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak
You make it sound like that's not a big deal.
Is it? I don't think so. We'll see.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:42 AM   #63
merely human

It wouldn't be a big deal if you don't give a damn about overall picture and sound quality and whatever else. Many people really don't, however the industry tends to condition them into wanting the hardware so that they feel they have to make it a big deal.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-18-2006, 11:47 AM   #64
DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Nice try, Catbert, but I personally prefer to just game on my 360 and do work on my laptop (and a bit of gaming pending). It's much better suited for my life right now.
Everytime you buy a console, a 30 seconds old chinese baby gets employed at a chip factory.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:51 AM   #65
is not wierd

Better picture and sound quality, for movies, is in fact a big deal. It's possible to get through watching VHSes or VHS rips, but dear God I'd much prefer DVD because of the better quality and not because of the other benefits. Watching the movie closer to how the director intended is always a good thing.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:53 AM   #66
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Really? Gamestation has both.

Eurogamer says "well-informed retail sources have been suggesting that Sony won't release the lower spec model in the UK at all. "

Besides strange they only released one UK price

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=64848
Old 05-18-2006, 11:54 AM   #67
Friendly Server Admin

Personally, unless a DVD is really badly mastered, I find that it's good enough quality. I don't find myself sitting there watching a DVD and saying "Well, it's pretty good... but I really with there were 3 more audio channels!"

I'm happy with current bitrates and dolby digital.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:54 AM   #68
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
It wouldn't be a big deal if you don't give a damn about overall picture and sound quality and whatever else.
I do, but what we currently have is more than good enough. Yes, I've seen HD content. No, it's not worth $1000+.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:59 AM   #69
merely human

Quote:
Watching the movie closer to how the director intended is always a good thing.
Which is why I see movies like Girl With A Pearl Earring in the theatre.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #70
is not wierd

Well obviously the theatrical experience is really the ultimate. But in this day and age home viewing is the norm, and it should be possible to experience the film as close as possible to the awesome theatrical experience, although it will never touch the theater.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:12 PM   #71
Friendly Server Admin

You could just buy yourself a 35mm projector and a dolby processor

Seriously, though, I hate the movie theatre. Seeing film is nice, but mostly by the time I see it the print is dirty and scratched, and the theatre is full of other people, most of whom seem intent on ruining my experience. Also, there's the ever-increasing price of admission.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:21 PM   #72
merely human

Quote:
Well obviously the theatrical experience is really the ultimate. But in this day and age home viewing is the norm, and it should be possible to experience the film as close as possible to the awesome theatrical experience, although it will never touch the theater.
Personally if it's really a movie that's good, is supposed to have excellent cinematography, and that I'm interested in, I'd prefer to see it first in the theatre. And if I fall in love with it and want to see it again and again, I would definitely want it on DVD and if it comes in HD and I have the hardware, that's great.

Otherwise I'm not that demanding.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:26 PM   #73
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Seriously, though, I hate the movie theatre. Seeing film is nice, but mostly by the time I see it the print is dirty and scratched, and the theatre is full of other people, most of whom seem intent on ruining my experience.
Really? Most good movies in Croatia attract very little audience. If you opt for an afternoon projection, you usually get to be one of maybe twenty people in the theatre, most of which are cute girls. Living here doesn't always suck.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:29 PM   #74
merely human

I almost always go to the matinee show on a weekday. It's about 1/2 the price and the theatre is almost empty. I also wait at least a week or so after the initial release.

Back on topic: I got my Xbox360!! w0000t!!
Old 05-19-2006, 04:45 AM   #75
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Also, there's the ever-increasing price of admission.
So true. By the time it reaches the stage that I can buy a year-old DVD of a film I didn't get to see for less than the price of going to the cinema I have very little incentive to sit in the movie theatre .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-19-2006, 05:05 AM   #76
gin soaked boy

I don't know, I love going to the cinema, both in company and all by myself. It's a very different experience than watching a movie at home or at your friend's place. Not better or worse, just different. That's one of the reasons I can't wait to return to Zagreb, the last cinema in Virovitica went under a couple of years ago.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:44 PM   #77
merely human

I love the cinema too, though I rarely ever go anymore. But when I do go I always have a great time. It's such an event, that's why. I rarely go anymore because I have no friends here to go with. The last movie I went to go see was Silent Hill, and before that, Memoirs Of A Geisha. Both just had to be experienced in a big dark theatre, IMO. But most other big hit movies, particular ones that don't focus so much on cinematography, aren't worth it for me and I'd prefer them on DVD at home.

Anyway, back on topic: I'll wait til there's a very substantial number of games out for PS3, and even then I'll wait til the price drops to $300 or below.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:14 PM   #78
is not wierd

So what are the chances MS will drop the price of the 360? Everyone thought they would before E3, but no one's really brought it up since then. I was relaly hoping they would, because then I'd be all over it, but I guess with the PS3 so ridiculously MS probably doesn't feel the need to.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:28 PM   #79
merely human

There's still a bit of a chance for a [slight] price drop for the 360 for the holidays. I've read at least a couple of news sources (CNET, New York Times, etc.) citing analysts' speculations. But even if MS didn't lower the price their console would still have the advantage, at least in terms of the more mainstream, price conscious crowd (i.e., parents, grandparents getting Christmas gifts for the kids). Thing is, Sony seems to be relying [a bit too heavily] on their brand recognition.

Of course, the Wii may be an even better choice in price and in more family oriented games.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:47 PM   #80
gin soaked boy

One thing has to be given to Sony, they're basically doing what everyone said MS should've done with their launch. Only it makes more sense if you're the first console on the market. You see, the high price lowers the chance of console shortages and the hard core Sony fan(boy)s will still gobble what's available up like candy. Later, when they manage to produce enough units, and possibly drive the production costs down, they'll lower the prices. It seems like a good approach, but the catch is Xbox 360's price will also go down quite a bit till then.