You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General You Lose (X360 vs. PS3)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2006, 02:47 AM   #461
Slim Shady

God of War 3 is not coming to PS3 yet . Heavenly Sword,DMC 4 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma are the similar games coming to PS3.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-14-2006 at 05:02 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:29 AM   #462

Ninja Gaiden? Isn't that the game on the Xbox by Tecmo? If so, how can it be on the PS3 when Tecmo are owned by Microsoft?
Old 12-14-2006, 03:59 AM   #463
FlipFrame

I doubt they'd arbitrarily end GoW3? The sequel isn't even out yet and I expect it to do very well, and you dont invest time and money into new IP's that end up doing well and then just stop making them. I know that David Jaffe "wants" to do it, but there hasn't been a 'go' signal from up top.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:20 AM   #464
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Ninja Gaiden? Isn't that the game on the Xbox by Tecmo? If so, how can it be on the PS3 when Tecmo are owned by Microsoft?
Tecmo are not owned by Microsoft and Ninja Gaiden Sigma is a remake of Ninja Gaiden Black plus some extras. Ninja Gaiden 2 is coming to Xbox 360 first and maybe PS3 later.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:27 AM   #465
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG
...um you implied I wasn't being "truthful", so no I'm not asking you. That or your word choice was poor, and you meant "accurate", in which case yes, I applaud you wanting to be accurate. "Truthful" implies that honesty is in question...
Hey, you said the debate was about who was more right. Suggests that I want to be more correct than you, more accurate, but that's exactly why I didn't use that word. I meant truthful, and didn't mention you in my entire post. The sentence with "truthful" in it, has three "I" in it.

To me, suggesting that the debate is about who wants to be more accurate, suggests that atleast one person is being dishonest, and if I was a betting man, that person would not be the person who wrote that. I can say I want to be truthful without implying you are not, but saying the debate is about something, unless debating with yourself, implies something of the other person.
Quote:
A hardware spec'd for games, pound for pound, will always be better suited for games than a more powerful general purpose tech.
That's something entirely different to what you were saying. I can't buy a high-end PC for $400.
Quote:
I hate to think I need to continously clarify my statement regarding high-end PC's, but we're talking about gaming, not just raw power.
Developers, including Warren Spector and Chris Hecker have said that Xenon performance in things like game control, AI, and physics is less than impressive. We're talking about gaming, not just graphics.

Do games look better on the PC? No, Oblivion does, a few others, and some look better on the Xbox 360, it's about even. It was much the same with the original Xbox and PC, even though it's obvious the CPU of the Xbox was much less powerful than the top P4 processors. Graphics aren't CPU limited on the original Xbox, or the Xbox 360, not yet.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:03 AM   #466
merely human

Not exactly sure if I should post this as a new thread but it's certainly worth noting...

DIY developers to make Xbox games | BBC News, 12/13/06

Quote:
Microsoft has made tools available which will allow hobbyists and students to create games for the Xbox 360. The software, which has been trialled since August, is being billed by Microsoft as a first step towards a YouTube for videogames.

Would-be developers will be able to use the tools program, called XNA Game Studio Express, to develop and share games via the Xbox Live online service.
DIY games will provide a contrast to those with multi-million pound budgets.

While the games that can be created by these new tools will be rudimentary in comparison to the best-sellers, it would hark back to the days when games were made on a shoestring budget.

The tools are available to download for free but many may want to join the XNA Creators Club, which allows DIY developers access to technical support, white papers, starter kits and other assets to help turn the games into reality.

This will cost £65 for an annual subscription, or £30 for a four-month subscription...... (click link for full article)
Great that they pro-actively encourage and support independent developing on a humble scale by anyone seriously into it. It'll be cool to see what we can download from Live for our 360 in the future from young talents.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-14-2006, 12:42 PM   #467
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_ View Post
Hey, you said the debate was about who was more right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG View Post
Well AJ_ our convo just turned into a who's more right debate, so you win.
Nope, I said it TURNED into a "who's more right" debate...meaning its fruitless and stagnant. We weren't talking about ideas, we were pimping our knowledge of hardware; dead discussion.

Quote:
Suggests that I want to be more correct than you, more accurate, but that's exactly why I didn't use that word. I meant truthful, and didn't mention you in my entire post. The sentence with "truthful" in it, has three "I" in it.

To me, suggesting that the debate is about who wants to be more accurate, suggests that atleast one person is being dishonest, and if I was a betting man, that person would not be the person who wrote that. I can say I want to be truthful without implying you are not, but saying the debate is about something, unless debating with yourself, implies something of the other person.
Huh? Please tell me you're kidding!? Nowhere in ANY dictionary, is the word accurate associated with honesty!? Wow what a way to twist this whole thing conveniently for you eh?

Quote:
That's something entirely different to what you were saying. I can't buy a high-end PC for $400.
Oh? Please tell me what I could have POSSIBLY meant otherwise? I didn't realize I had to explain everything to you, tossing context to the wind.

Quote:
Developers, including Warren Spector and Chris Hecker have said that Xenon performance in things like game control, AI, and physics is less than impressive. We're talking about gaming, not just graphics.
Are you continuing to use the codename of the 360 for any particular reason? Street-cred? Humor? Why not just call it Waternoose!? Yes we get it, the 360 and the XCPU were/are called Xenon...yay...its a 360 to everyone else.

Name dropping Warren Spector is one thing, though he's a writer/designer, not a programmer, and I have no idea who Chris Hecker was until you dropped it and I googled. So? Hey the guys making Assassins Creed says that due to WATERNOOSES general processing capabilities allows for better AI than what is capable on the PS3...who's more right!? Here's a hint...it doesn't matter...and yea, I'm the last person to spearhead graphics over gameplay even though I happen to be an artist, so don't try to underscore that point with me pal, as ALL I've been talking about this whole entire time IS gaming, for the love of Trep.

We can move on now, really.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:54 PM   #468
merely human

Okay, you two, please stop already! It's getting annoying.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-17-2006, 01:51 PM   #469
merely human

Uh oh...

Heightened Rumor: Metal Gear Solid 4 not a PS3 exclusive
| Joystiq.com, 12/17/06

Quote:
The rumors that Metal Gear Solid 4 is not a PS3 exclusive continue to snowball. A little over a month ago came the first wave of speculation and the idea even graced the cover of EGM. Fanboys screamed and raged, "Kojima-san owes way too much to Sony to stab them in the back like this, his honour would be tarnished forever and the Japanese care deeply about their honour." Konami's PR simply said, "Metal Gear 4 [sic] is a PS3 title."

Now website Noooz states they have "exclusive" information that MGS4 is coming to Xbox 360. We spoke directly with the editor of Noooz, Daniel Boutros, who has been around the industry for a good bit. He says his source for the information is quite high up, "I rarely run with anything unless I'm 100% confident. I rarely break news stories as you can see." He jokes that from now on he's sticking to opinion pieces after the storm of comments his site received.

Boutros' source says that MGS4 will be coming to the Xbox 360 shortly after the PS3 release. The source says Konami is concerned that there will still not be enough PS3 units out there to make the game profitable. This is the same rationale being used by many publishers, including Ubisoft, to jump off the exclusive bandwagon. Somebody has to pay the bills and the wider the net, the more money publishers will make. We, along with probably everyone else, will be following up with Konami and Microsoft for comment tomorrow. This story isn't going away until somebody sneaks up on it from behind, chokes it senseless and drags it into a storage locker.
I was wondering as much myself. Maybe that's the same reason for which Ubisoft retracted keeping Assassin's Creed a PS3 exclusive. We'll have to wait til Konami makes an official announcement.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:01 PM   #470
FlipFrame

Hmmm...

Like my earlier sentiments, I'd like to have more great reasons to get a PS3, so seeing this stay there is a plus. Seeing the 360 get it though would tickle me in the feel good area if to simply see Sony get knocked down a peg or two and reset their attitude. Business is business, but nothing is more endearing than a company that at least 'seems' like it gives a shit...and the dichotomy is that they do care about money number one, but also care about their product and thus their consumer insomuch as they do deliver a product that has value and allows them to be profitable. The more the product is geared towards the values of the consumer, the stronger the relationship. This is exactly what Sony has threatened with a lot of us. Loyalty doesn't need to be blind, but it helps to feel good about a company that is going to continue to be behind the product you enjoy, in this case games (indirectly the console).

Didn't mean to drone, but thats the complexity for me in this particular case; I want Sony to be better and I think one path to that is for a bit of punishment in this exact form.

Oh, and I forgot to say, I feel pretty confident that this is true...for a contingency plan. They have to start developing NOW in order to get it on the 360 for the end for 2007 in the event they need to do this. Its very easy to hear "we're putting it on the 360" and believe that that means the exclusivity is over. Assuming it does go that way, I can see a month or two difference between release at the minimum, enough to remain loyal to the PS3 but still entice 360 gamers. Done deal though no.

Last edited by EvoG; 12-17-2006 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:49 PM   #471
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Wow! This is BIG! MGS moving to the 360, that would kill Sony for sure. It would be fantastic if it happened since the 360 can do what the PS3 does and its cheaper and already out there.

Wow, this is some exciting rumour.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 12-17-2006, 04:51 PM   #472
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

MGS4 Wii Exclusive - You heard it here first!

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 12-17-2006, 09:23 PM   #473
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Hmmm...

Like my earlier sentiments, I'd like to have more great reasons to get a PS3, so seeing this stay there is a plus. Seeing the 360 get it though would tickle me in the feel good area if to simply see Sony get knocked down a peg or two and reset their attitude. Business is business, but nothing is more endearing than a company that at least 'seems' like it gives a shit...and the dichotomy is that they do care about money number one, but also care about their product and thus their consumer insomuch as they do deliver a product that has value and allows them to be profitable. The more the product is geared towards the values of the consumer, the stronger the relationship. This is exactly what Sony has threatened with a lot of us. Loyalty doesn't need to be blind, but it helps to feel good about a company that is going to continue to be behind the product you enjoy, in this case games (indirectly the console).

Didn't mean to drone, but thats the complexity for me in this particular case; I want Sony to be better and I think one path to that is for a bit of punishment in this exact form.

Oh, and I forgot to say, I feel pretty confident that this is true...for a contingency plan. They have to start developing NOW in order to get it on the 360 for the end for 2007 in the event they need to do this. Its very easy to hear "we're putting it on the 360" and believe that that means the exclusivity is over. Assuming it does go that way, I can see a month or two difference between release at the minimum, enough to remain loyal to the PS3 but still entice 360 gamers. Done deal though no.
Yes Microsoft cares about the consumer Having been using MS products for the last 10 years, I can see that (*sarcastic*)

Firefox rules
Old 12-17-2006, 09:30 PM   #474
merely human

Actually, MS did care about me. My X360 flashed me the red ring of death but I was fine because I knew they'd be swift in their customer service. I talked to a rep on the phone and she said to send in the console and I can work my warranty. A week and a half later they shipped it back, perfectly working (I only paid for my shipping it to them). I read the letter that came with, and to my pleasant surprise it turned out that they replaced my 360 with a brand new one instead of trying to dig into the guts of the broken one. It was the next batch, too. Sweet.

Hmm, now that I think about it, isn't the hard drive on the PS3 internal? Glued into the guts of the system? When I was asked to send in my defective 360 I had to first detach its hard drive so that I had still had all my data (save games, user profile, demos, etc.). What would happen if I had a PS3 and it died on me and I had to send it in? What guarantee do I have that all my data will remain intact?
Old 12-17-2006, 11:20 PM   #475
FlipFrame

SoccerDude, did you just glance at my post or actually read it.

Quote:
*snip*

...Business is business, but nothing is more endearing than a company that at least 'seems' like it gives a shit...and the dichotomy is that they do care about money number one, but also care about their product and thus their consumer insomuch as they do deliver a product that has value and allows them to be profitable.
You have to understand the basic nature of business; it isn't a charity, they're not there to be your friend and it can't exist if it doesn't make money. If the product gives you value, then its done its job period. My point is that as long as the continue to give me products that I enjoy, I'm happy. If they continue to tell me what I want to hear about the product I'm supporting, making me feel like I'm important (by virtue of the quality of the product and listening to the consumer), then they create a relationship. I give my money and in return a get a product I'm happy with. Thats all that means, and not that they are somehow personally involved with each and every customer.

Otherwise, regarding MS and Windows(not their business practices), I've been using it since like the dawn of computing time, and its been an invisible experience, so I honestly don't see the issues people seem to personally have with the OS.

Trep, the PS3's harddrive is both removalable and upgradeable (at least as I understand it).

Cheers
Old 12-17-2006, 11:45 PM   #476
merely human

Quote:
You have to understand the basic nature of business; it isn't a charity, they're not there to be your friend and it can't exist if it doesn't make money. If the product gives you value, then its done its job period. My point is that as long as the continue to give me products that I enjoy, I'm happy. If they continue to tell me what I want to hear about the product I'm supporting, making me feel like I'm important (by virtue of the quality of the product and listening to the consumer), then they create a relationship. I give my money and in return a get a product I'm happy with. Thats all that means, and not that they are somehow personally involved with each and every customer.
This is why I pledge no allegiance to any one company, just as I implied in at least one or two posts earlier in this thread. A company needs to make money off of me, and I have the money in my pocket. If they sell me a product or service I like AND treat me well, then they deserve my money. Sony has done nothing but insult me, the consumer, left and right, expecting me to buy their overpriced console even when there are practically no games available at its launch (none that I want, anyway). Sony has insulted me in that they have the nerve to tell me to work harder and save up my money to buy their overpriced console. And that was before they lied to me about having available consoles on launch. Worse, had I been living in Europe, I would've had to wait until well into next year.

Now, I did mention I would consider buying a PS3. That is on condition - when there are good PS3 exclusive games for me, when they drop the price to, oh say, $300 or less, and when they FINALLY START RESPECTING ME AS AN INTELLIGENT CONSUMER, AND THEIR THIRD PARTY DEVELOPERS AS VITAL CLIENTS.

Quote:
Trep, the PS3's harddrive is both removalable and upgradeable (at least as I understand it).
Can the average owner detach it himself or does it take a trained technician? Would I be able to keep it with me (like my X360) while I wait for the console to be repaired or replaced?
Old 12-18-2006, 12:51 AM   #477
FlipFrame

Exactly, which is why any fanboyism is ultimately rather ridiculous. Our distaste for Sony, but affection for MS and Nintendo isn't arbitrary. No allegiance, but merely a parallelling of interests on both sides (company and consumer).

As for the PS3's HD, I believe its just a quick access panel like most consoles have for mystery add-ons, and the HD is a 2.5 laptop drive which ideally should just slide out. They talked about this being a 'feature', so I dont see them making it difficult...but the OS on the other hand I can't say. Do they offer a disc that you can dump the PS3 software onto a new drive? Do you have to copy that from the first drive to the new drive externally and cross your fingers? Don't know if anyone has actually gotten this to work yet.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:05 AM   #478
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Can the average owner detach it himself or does it take a trained technician? Would I be able to keep it with me (like my X360) while I wait for the console to be repaired or replaced?
Yes, it's easily replaceable and you don't have to use an official Sony HD, any 2.5 inch SATA HD will do. So PS3 is actually in advantage in that department.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:36 AM   #479
merely human

Thanks, cobsie. That's one less potential problem, then.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:07 AM   #480
FlipFrame

Um HELLO!?

Quote:
As for the PS3's HD, I believe its just a quick access panel like most consoles have for mystery add-ons, and the HD is a 2.5 laptop drive which ideally should just slide out. They talked about this being a 'feature', so I dont see them making it difficult...