You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2006, 05:34 AM   #1

Default About RPGs

Semi-rant here...

I know it's the traditional RPG setting, but why is it that almost all RPGs are set in a fantasy world? I'm wondering because I've never been into any of that stuff, whereas a game like Fallout completely blew me away almost a decade ago, and left me wanting more of something different. Something with a bit more personality. Why can't there be more modern, or at least somehow different, RPGs? Are almost all RPG players fantasy nuts or geeks who eat that stuff up?
Old 05-07-2006, 05:42 AM   #2

It's history. RPGs were created so you could play D&D on a computer.

But why, all these years later, there are still so few RPGs with a modern setting is baffiling. I know I'm not a fantasty nut. I'd much prefer an setting from the past century to something like the Elder Scrolls.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:43 AM   #3

Speculating here, but I think if you remove the magic and supernatural elements in a RPG you would end up with mostly combat and weapons or a FPS. Or at most an action game something like Lemony Snickets was. I'm sure it can be done, it would just take a lot of effort being put into the story line.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudysgarden
Speculating here, but I think if you remove the magic and supernatural elements in a RPG you would end up with mostly combat and weapons or a FPS. Or at most an action game something like Lemony Snickets was. I'm sure it can be done, it would just take a lot of effort being put into the story line.
It takes effort to create a compelling, modern story? I mean, the answer is pretty simple. For combat, just replace magic with guns and the supernatural elements with the themes of today.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:51 AM   #5
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Don't forget that guns != magic. Guns have to be carried around, so they add weight to the user's inventory, and guns can't heal or produce many of the nifty and ever-so-slightly-over-the-top graphical effects that people expect nowadays .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-07-2006, 05:59 AM   #6
Explorer of the uncharted

Two words! Shin megami tensei!
Old 05-07-2006, 06:14 AM   #7
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Anyway, I suppose I should point to Anachronox and Knights of the Old Republic as not-stereotypical-fantasy RPGs (though KOTOR is just the same type of game dressed up), and to something like Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (praise be that they added the "Arcanum" bit) as one of those nice examples of a game that tries to combine the two.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-07-2006, 06:23 AM   #8

I did, and do, love KotOR with all my heart, but that's mostly because of Bioware's awesome writing and the freshness (at the time) of the experience.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:39 AM   #9
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Why a fantasy/sci-fi world? Because in a modern world, all the rules of the RPG would need to be rewritten. In a fantasy world we have no problem accepting the senseless violence carried out in teams, or that there are random enemies all over the place (and no consequences for killing them). We have no problem with puzzles blocking our paths. We have no problem with a story in which our little group is the only thing stopping the world from being destroyed. Put any of this in a more believable setting, and it no longer makes any sense.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:53 AM   #10

Amen to that.

A classical RPG set in the current historic setting would be very, very awkward.

And a "realistic" RPG in the current modern world already exists: The Sims. Not my cup of tea, but maybe you like it.

But I do have to agree that the classical generic dungeons and dragons fantasy setting is pretty boring. But I don't mind D&D fantasy settings with a twist or a very well thought out background and history, like Oblivion.
In the end, I prefer "original" (relatively speaking, from a gamer point of view) settings, like Bloodlines, Fallout or KOTOR.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:31 AM   #11
Explorer of the uncharted

But just imagine how a true cyberpunk or a Delta Green crpg would rock!
Old 05-07-2006, 07:58 AM   #12

Yeah I mean don't get me wrong. I'm enjoying Oblivion, for example, quite a bit. But that's in spite of the setting. It's yet another fresh and different experience. One more geared towards exploring and action, rather than story or characters, which I find to be very one dimensional compared to ie. the aforementioned Fallout and KotOR.

I have nothing against fantasy rpgs, it's just a setting that doesn't appeal to me all that much. I simply feel there should be much more variation within this genre, and a game like Fallout showed me this genre has a lot of untapped potential.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:16 AM   #13
is not wierd

You should be glad companies aren't creating RPGs like Fallout or KotOR like companies started making urban-themed games after GTA III; leave the unique games unique, I say.

I like a well-crafted fantasy setting quite a bit. But in general it's hard to turn down any well-crafted RPG.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:32 AM   #14
delusions of adequacy

Bethesda is working on another Fallout though.
Bioware is making Mass Effect (and dragon age).

Fantasy themes are common but that doesn't mean all fantasy games are the same. I actually dislike the D&D/Faerun setting. I'd much rather the next generic fantasy game you see with D&D use the Eberron setting (its like Arcanum, however magic and tech blend they don't conflict) or something even more unique and interesting.

I don't think that it all boils down to rulesets favouring swords. I think its more to do with peddling to an existing audience. RPG is synonymous with fantasy setting so trying to sell your unusual setting game is an uphill battle. You have to convince those who expect and want fantasy to try it, and those who expect and don't want fantasy to try it.

You might like to try the X-Men rpgs (are they console only?) or dig into the past and try the Privateer games. Or look past the bugs and try one of Bethesdas pirate games.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:34 AM   #15

Have you tried Troika's other games? They tend to stear away from traditional fantasy settings (other than temple of elemental evil).

Arcanum, although I've not played it yet, looks very intruiging.
Also the two Vampire masquarade games. There's also a werewolf game coming soon, but that will be more action unfortunately (although the tabletop game was combat heavy).
Then there's Jade empire (if you have an xbox... grrrr don't get me started...)
Old 05-07-2006, 08:53 AM   #16

^ I have Jade Empire, and I liked it very much. I never played Arcanum. I guess I should.

@Spiwak: I don't get what you're saying at all. I should be glad companies aren't making the kind of games I loved? I'm not saying they should be making clones of those games. I just used them as examples of different kind of RPGs.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:26 AM   #17
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

I have to agree with the OP... I like RPGs, but the fact that so many of them are fantasy puts me off a bit. (I'm much more of a sci-fi fan.)

But anyhoo. How about Anachronox? I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I've heard good things about it.

Planescape: Torment is technically fantasy, but the Planescape universe is definitely not your stereotypical dwarves and elves setting.

I'd also mention Jagged Alliance 2. Technically it's a strategy game, but I find it plays a fair bit like Fallout in terms of combat mechanics and character interaction (though plot-wise it takes place in the late 90s).

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 05-07-2006, 09:38 AM   #18
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Fantasy is usually based on medieval Europe, so has swords and bows, which are far easier to model gameplay on than guns, because guns are powerful, and ranged. There's also a lot of content from novels, legends, and myths that you can been inspired by.

Although my favourite game is Fallout, and another is Bloodlines, and are not traditional fantasy, I don't think people are giving enough credit to the variety of RPGs with traditional fantasy settings.

There's quite a few MMORPGs that are not traditional, although the best ones are, some of the non-traditional ones don't/won't suck.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:40 AM   #19
Homer of Kittens

Hi weemies, I totally agree with you. I also dislike the D&D setting and think that it's too geeky for my taste. I never enjoyed NWN although everyone thought it was the best game ever, and although I'm enjoying Oblivion because of its brilliant technology and game design, the setting really turns me off. I would have so much preferred the same game in a different setting.

I think the main reason that RPG's traditionally (and some still) are based on phantasy settings, is because the game designers themselves are big D&D fans.
Now they are trying to move to new settings to try to appeal to more people (like Bioware in its newer games).

Firefox rules
Old 05-08-2006, 12:05 AM   #20
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
And a "realistic" RPG in the current modern world already exists: The Sims. Not my cup of tea, but maybe you like it.
The Sims is a simulation (like SimCity or Civilization), not an RPG.