Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Oblivion (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/14504-oblivion.html)

Dasilva 04-22-2006 01:44 PM

Oblivion

Hey.

I'm a level 6 thief in Oblivion, I'm in quite deep, and I still don't know how to join a thieves guild? Could someone please help. :(

Karmillo 04-22-2006 01:54 PM

flirt with the beggars and ask about grey fox :P

SamNMax 04-22-2006 02:07 PM

Before you can question the beggars, you have to read one of the wanted signs regarding the Grey Fox that are plastered all over the Imperial City.

SakSquash 04-22-2006 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamNMax
Before you can question the beggars, you have to read one of the wanted signs regarding the Grey Fox that are plastered all over the Imperial City.

Love the AV.

SamNMax 04-22-2006 05:27 PM

I'm gonna make it bigger sometime.

Dasilva 04-23-2006 04:43 AM

I figured it out, I needed to go to jail, then I got a letter from the Grey Fox. Crap, my bounty is 3000. lol. I guess I shoulden't of killed all those guards. :P

Karmillo 04-23-2006 08:26 AM

...huh? you got a letter from grey fox?

Never saw that before

Putrid Moldyman 04-23-2006 08:35 AM

The Thieves Guild, as well as the first few Dark Brotherhood quests, are actually my favorite parts of Oblivion. Unfortunately, I really didn't dig the (very short) main quest.

edlglide 04-23-2006 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Putrid Moldyman
The Thieves Guild, as well as the first few Dark Brotherhood quests, are actually my favorite parts of Oblivion. Unfortunately, I really didn't dig the (very short) main quest.

Yeah, I thought the Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood were the best too. The first few Dark Brotherhood missions are definitely the most interesting in the game -- they're a departure from the FedEx "go and kill this person and get this thing and bring it back to this person" that is probably 90% of Oblivion's gameplay. The main quest wasn't bad, but it was too short, and it relied FAR too heavily on going into Oblivion gates........which I thought were the worst part of the game. They were repetitive and weren't challenging, and having to go into them repeatedly as in the Aid for Bruma quest just felt like a chore.

I really felt like Oblivion was too linear for a game that was supposed to be about open-ended gameplay. Sure you can wander around everywhere, but the quests themselves and the storyline is completely linear. You can't decide to join the Necromancers against the Mage's Guild, or the Blackwood Company against the Fighter's Guild. And it sort of kills the immersion factor when Kvatch is still destroyed and in flames months after you've rescued it (although I'm sure when they release an expansion pack Kvatch will be rebuilt, or at least in the process).

I thought it was a pretty good game, but didn't really come close to living up to the hype. There are so many ways it could have been better.

jjacob 04-23-2006 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dasilva
I figured it out, I needed to go to jail, then I got a letter from the Grey Fox. Crap, my bounty is 3000. lol. I guess I shoulden't of killed all those guards. :P

That's probably the least practised way to get into the thieves guild, 'nice' improv :P (if it works that is). The letter from the Fox may be something else entirely (like if you accidentatly kill a thieves guild member) or something.

Putrid Moldyman 04-23-2006 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edlglide
The main quest . . . was too short, and it relied FAR too heavily on going into Oblivion gates........which I thought were the worst part of the game.

I couldn't agree with you more on that.

jjacob 04-23-2006 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Putrid Moldyman
I couldn't agree with you more on that.

Thirded :P I *hate* those gates, so extremely monotonous it got old very fast.

Ninth 04-23-2006 10:37 PM

Fourthed (...). I only did one gate, and I'm not looking forward to doing the others.

My main gripe my Oblivion is the lack of real choice. True, you can do a ton of different thing, but if you want to, say, complete the Dark Brotherhood's quests, you have to do them exactly how they were scripted. You can't choose not to kill someone and yet somehow somehow going on to the next quest. One part that did this well is when one of the guy in the Dark Brotherhood asks you ("unofficially") to dispose of one of his former brothers that supposedly betryed the brotherhood; then you can choose to help the trator or to kill him. It's too bad that they didn't put more of this in the main quests (main quest itself + guild quests).

edlglide 04-24-2006 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninth
Fourthed (...). I only did one gate, and I'm not looking forward to doing the others.

My main gripe my Oblivion is the lack of real choice. True, you can do a ton of different thing, but if you want to, say, complete the Dark Brotherhood's quests, you have to do them exactly how they were scripted. You can't choose not to kill someone and yet somehow somehow going on to the next quest. One part that did this well is when one of the guy in the Dark Brotherhood asks you ("unofficially") to dispose of one of his former brothers that supposedly betryed the brotherhood; then you can choose to help the trator or to kill him. It's too bad that they didn't put more of this in the main quests (main quest itself + guild quests).

This is exactly how I feel. For a game that's marketed as open-ended, it is actually incredibly linear. You have no freedom in what to do in the main storyline, or even in the guild storylines. Not only do you have to complete almost all of the quests in one specific way; you don't even have a choice to pick one side or the other. When you're playing through the storyline it's not that different from the Japanese "RPGs" which basically take place on rails.

Although Oblivion is certainly a prettier game, I think Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura (an RPG from 2001, I believe) blows it away in every other aspect. You had real freedom in that game. I wish I could find my CD so I could play it again, because I remember very little of the storyline except for one huge conspiracy sidequest. And if I remember correctly, you could play through the game 5 or 6 times and have a completely different experience in each, because of the freedom in how to complete quests as well as which sides you wish to choose.

(Not to mention the fact that the setting was marvelously original -- a fantasy world with elves, dwarves, magic and all the rest in the midst of the Industrial Revolution with steam engine railroads and 1800s era firearms, as well as some steampunk type robotics)

Dasilva 04-24-2006 12:27 PM

THIEVES GUILD QUEST: Okay, I planted the statue bust in this other womans house, and now I need to tell that guard that the woman stole it, but he said he doesn't trust my word, so how the hell do I get him to check out the house?

Grr. Help please. :)

edlglide 04-24-2006 12:49 PM

Quote:

THIEVES GUILD QUEST: Okay, I planted the statue bust in this other womans house, and now I need to tell that guard that the woman stole it, but he said he doesn't trust my word, so how the hell do I get him to check out the house?

Grr. Help please. :)

I'm pretty sure this is one of the many times in the game that you need to use the little persuasion mini-game. Or just bribe them. Once their disposition is up in the 60s or so, try asking again, and if they still say they don't trust you, presuade/bribe them some more and try again.

(I might be wrong, and there's something else you have to do -- but I can think of at least 4 or 5 different situations where all you had to do was persuade/bribe them until they believed you, so that's probably the case here)

Dasilva 04-24-2006 01:00 PM

lol, how the hell am I going to find 5 empty grand gemstones?! You guessed it, Im a vampire, could someone help with that? Any known places with grand gemstones?

edlglide 04-24-2006 04:16 PM

I've got several grand gemstones in my game, although I have no idea where I picked them all up. You might be able to find a couple in the different Mage's Guilds, because they often have gemstones laying around and some locked up in display cases. Same thing for the castles, and also the Arcane university if you can get in there.

Hammerite 04-24-2006 10:47 PM

Quote:

lol, how the hell am I going to find 5 empty grand gemstones?! You guessed it, Im a vampire, could someone help with that? Any known places with grand gemstones?

I'm also a vampire, its a bit annoying having to feed so you can go out in the daylight, i only come out at night, the days are much too bright and my infamy is now through the roof because i killed all the nice monks at that moth temple.

bysmitty 04-25-2006 07:54 AM

I found the dispostion mini-game to be weak at best. I'm glad I can just bribe anyone through the roof and just steal the gold back after. Takes much of the challenge out though.

Awww, those poor monks. I was proud that I was able to do the entire mission without harming a single one. I'm such a nice asassin.

...bysmitty