You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Last finished game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #1241

Send a message via AIM to Gledster Send a message via MSN to Gledster Send a message via Yahoo to Gledster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldO View Post
The Longest Journey

Finished for the second time and had a lot of fun with it. I still find chapters 2 and 4 a little too slow/long/boring, mostly because I don't really like Marcuria. Chapter 8 is still my favorite. I think I'll play Dreamfall for the first time next month.
I have just finished Dreamfall. I think it had a story just as good as TLJ but I was disappointed over the obviously console-style changes to the control system. Still, once I got into it I loved it. Not as in-depth as TLJ though, but still good.

Am now, like many, awaiting another in TLJ series - it's taking tooo long!
Old 03-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #1242
Cabbage Merchant

Send a message via MSN to HaroldO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gledster View Post
I have just finished Dreamfall. I think it had a story just as good as TLJ but I was disappointed over the obviously console-style changes to the control system. Still, once I got into it I loved it. Not as in-depth as TLJ though, but still good.

Am now, like many, awaiting another in TLJ series - it's taking tooo long!
I don't mind using a gamepad, it feels more natural to me because Is the control system I'm using since I was 3 year old as opposed to keyboard and mouse which are somewhat new to me in comparison. I hope Dreamfall lives up to my expectations.

on topic:
Sam & Max - Save the World a.k.a. season 1
I took the weekend to play and finish the last two episodes. I loved every minute of them. To me at least, episodes 3 and 4 were a lot funnier but 5 and 6 were more challenging. The arcade cabinet made me laugh so hard when it said "I HUNGER" for the first time, and god, how I love those references. I have a code for a free Telltale game, I'm thinking of getting episode 201 and maybe finish the second season before the Devil's Playhouse is released.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #1243
I changed my title

Isn't Sam and Max 201 available for free? They seem to give it away any chance they get. Try to find out before you waste your coupon on it.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #1244
Cabbage Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shany View Post
Isn't Sam and Max 201 available for free? They seem to give it away any chance they get. Try to find out before you waste your coupon on it.
Thanks for the info. I check and no, only 104 is free at the moment. I'm waiting a few days before using the coupon though, as I'm really torn between this and the first episode of Tales of Monkey Island.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #1245
Random

Assassins Creed 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasdnil View Post
I loved the storyline of it but I don't think I will find it very re-playable unfortunately.
I second that!

It's a beautiful game (outstanding "turistic tour" in Italian renaissance cities), the plot is very interesting indeed but, like in the first game, you basically run/jump on rooftops and fight with the same enemies (exept for the "bosses") from beginning to end. It gets a bit repetitive after a while. I'll give:

4/5

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:07 AM   #1246

Last game I finished was DA:Origins, since I do play WoW I tend to not play to much single player games, Currently playing Runaway3, actually bought it yesterday so havent gotten much playing on it.
Last year or two I'we finished Runaway 1 and 2, Played the old monkey island games again, tested out some of the newer Simon the Sorcerer and well thats about it..I kinda like the Runaway series tbh
Old 03-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #1247
I changed my title

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldO View Post
Thanks for the info. I check and no, only 104 is free at the moment. I'm waiting a few days before using the coupon though, as I'm really torn between this and the first episode of Tales of Monkey Island.
I checked, and I might be able to send you one of mine as a gift. I have like 3 copies!
Old 03-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #1248
Cabbage Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shany View Post
I checked, and I might be able to send you one of mine as a gift. I have like 3 copies!
Thanks a lot but I end up getting the whole season. And both Bone games. And Wallace & Gromit. I'm a sucker for free shipping
Old 03-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #1249
Adventurer

Just finished Dark Fall: Lost Souls

Just Finished: Mystery Stories: Mountains of Madness

Currently Playing: The Secrets of Atlantis
Old 03-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #1250
Random

Just finished Neverwinter Nights 2

It is an enjoyable game, but the annoying thing about medieval RPGs is that they always follow the same pattern!

Spoiler:
First, the game starts with your hometown being attacked. Second, you are entrusted to fight against an ultimate evil force because you are the chosen one. Third, it ends with a big battle.

I'm all ears for RPGs recommendations, though!

Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.

Last edited by Denaron; 03-24-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:03 AM   #1251
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaron View Post
Just finished Neverwinter Nights 2

It is an enjoyable game, but the annoying thing about medieval RPGs is that they always follow the same pattern!

Spoiler:
First, the game starts with your hometown being attacked. Second, you are entrusted to fight against an ultimate evil force because you are the chosen one. Third, it ends with a big battle.

I'm all ears for RPGs recommendations, though!
If you liked NWN2, try Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn if you haven't already. Same developers, but a bit older(and in my opinion, much better). Remember to include the expansion, Throne of Bhaal.

You don't need to play the first game in order to play the second one, even though the story is a direct continuation of the first game. The first game is nowhere near as good as the sequel, so it can put you off if you start with that(it's not a bad game though, mind you). At least that's how I look at it.

Just Finished: Mystery Stories: Mountains of Madness

Currently Playing: The Secrets of Atlantis
Old 03-25-2010, 03:36 AM   #1252
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyra View Post
If you liked NWN2, try Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn if you haven't already. Same developers, but a bit older(and in my opinion, much better). Remember to include the expansion, Throne of Bhaal.

You don't need to play the first game in order to play the second one, even though the story is a direct continuation of the first game. The first game is nowhere near as good as the sequel, so it can put you off if you start with that(it's not a bad game though, mind you). At least that's how I look at it.
Ohh, thanks. I have heard a lot about that game, but I never played before. I will take rest from RPGs (NW2 was a long one! ) for a while, then I'll certainly check it!

Old 03-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #1253

Just finished Sanitarium. Now there's a different game!
Old 04-01-2010, 07:33 AM   #1254

I cant say that i finished this game totaly as it is such a HUGE game, but i finished the main quest in Morrowind GOTY recently, great game
Old 04-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #1255

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

I have finished three "Let's Play" videos of my old favorite Eye of the Beholder and uploaded on youtube.

I leave nothing out, I make everything the game have to offer so these aren't speedruns.
The first game I finished in 32 episodes. The second took 24, probably because I am much more used to that one. The third took only 15! Probably because my characters were maxed out by then.

I doubt anyone would like to watch someone play through several hours of an ancient game while speaking broken english, but here they are;

Eye of the Beholder
Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon
Eye of the Beholder III: Assault on Myth Drannor
Old 04-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #1256
The Quiet One

Half-Life: Source

Positives:

+ Combined with a HD pack specifically for this version of Half-Life - and added ragdoll physics, textures and lighting/shadow effects - the game's graphics look better than the original 1999 game.
+ Sound effects, especially for the weapons, have been improved. But more importantly though, music, similar to the pieces from Half-Life 2, have been added. These pieces make the major action parts more exciting, memorable and add atmosphere. At least now there's music during the end credits, which oddly enough, was never present in the original.
+ The main menu screen, along with the options, graphics, sound and control menus have had the 'Half-Life 2 treatment' - in other words: they're similar. This makes them look a lot better, easier to use and neater.
+ Just like the original, the FPS gameplay is great solid fun. There are plenty of enemies - human and non-human - to fight, puzzles to solve (though they're pretty simple), large levels to explore, traps to overcome, some mild scares (although, as the graphics are dated, this probably won't apply ) and a nice selection of weapons to use.
+ The game has a pretty decent length.
+ Voice acting, which is used sparingly - only when encountering NPCs, is solid.

Negatives:

- All NPCs look and sound the same. They also animate very woodenly. Unlike the superior (imo) Half-Life 2, there are no other characters you'll encounter that you'll learn about and grow to like or become attached to. Their A.I. is also pretty thick too.
- This particular version of Half-Life is plagued with a few bugs. I encountered two specifically that prevented me from progressing through the game. Reloading a previous save made no difference, so in the end, I had no choice but to use the 'noclip' cheat.
- Although the story was praised when the game was released, I first played the game only a few years ago, and I've been spoiled with much better stories in FPS since then. I suppose it didn't help that I played Half-Life 2 first and was spoiled by that. I find Half-Life 2's narrative more engrossing. On an ironic note, Valve were inspired by id Software's DOOM, but it seems that id Software, in-turn, were inspired by Valve's Half-Life when they created/released DOOM 3 as the plots are a bit similar.
- I don't really like the outdoor environments/levels that much compared to fighting enemies in more creepier and rundown indoor environments.

Although I much prefer the superior sequel, this is still a great and classic FPS that I have and will continue to replay.

Overall:

Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #1257

Fallout 3. The ending is so stupid, I know it could be changed with an expansion pack, but still it shouldn't be like this in the original game.

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 04-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #1258
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther10 View Post
Fallout 3. The ending is so stupid, I know it could be changed with an expansion pack, but still it shouldn't be like this in the original game.
I agree with you. I HATE when I get a few pics and a sequel hook as reward for finishing a game.

I just finished Gabriel Knigh 2: The Beast Within

First FMV game that I ever played.

Awesome game, very entertaining from the beginning to end.

4.5/5

Last edited by Denaron; 04-02-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #1259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Half-Life: Source
At least now there's music during the end credits, which oddly enough, was never present in the original.
I'm pretty sure the original had a credits music, its even in the original soundtrack.

Quote:
- All NPCs look and sound the same. They also animate very woodenly. Unlike the superior (imo) Half-Life 2, there are no other characters you'll encounter that you'll learn about and grow to like or become attached to. Their A.I. is also pretty thick too.
You're being a bit unfair. Half-Life: Source is a simple port from the original, so they didn't change most of the things. And for a 1998 game, believe me it was amazing that we had NPC's, they are a bit poor nowadays, but not at that time.

Quote:
- This particular version of Half-Life is plagued with a few bugs. I encountered two specifically that prevented me from progressing through the game. Reloading a previous save made no difference, so in the end, I had no choice but to use the 'noclip' cheat.
Thats weird, i finished about a year ago and didn't had any problems. But sometimes Steam updates screws temporarly a game (Half-life: Opposing Force had a game breaking bug for a few weeks)

Quote:
- Although the story was praised when the game was released, I first played the game only a few years ago, and I've been spoiled with much better stories in FPS since then. I suppose it didn't help that I played Half-Life 2 first and was spoiled by that. I find Half-Life 2's narrative more engrossing. On an ironic note, Valve were inspired by id Software's DOOM, but it seems that id Software, in-turn, were inspired by Valve's Half-Life when they created/released DOOM 3 as the plots are a bit similar.
The strong point is not, and was never the story (although it is a good one), but rather the way it was told. it was new, groundbreaking and spectacular.

Doom 3 story is almost a carbon copy of the original Doom's story (the game is a remake), i dont think they were heavily inspired by Half-Life's plot. Nor did Valve take inspiration from Doom, at least storywise, Valve did something completely bold and new. Well id's games were in some part important for Valve, it was the example they had not to follow, their games were the complete opposite of Valve's philosophy, and thats why HL was so successful.

Quote:
- I don't really like the outdoor environments/levels that much compared to fighting enemies in more creepier and rundown indoor environments.
Yeah, me too. However, Surface Tension is one of my favourite chapters.

Quote:
Although I much prefer the superior sequel, this is still a great and classic FPS that I have and will continue to replay.
I adore Half-Life 2, but Half-Life is still my all time favourite game.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:12 AM   #1260
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
I'm pretty sure the original had a credits music, its even in the original soundtrack.
Everytime I've played the original I've never heard any music during the game and especially during the end credits. So I've no idea what was wrong there.

Quote:
You're being a bit unfair. Half-Life: Source is a simple port from the original, so they didn't change most of the things. And for a 1998 game, believe me it was amazing that we had NPC's, they are a bit poor nowadays, but not at that time.
I understand that. But I decided my mini review should cover, not just Half-Life: Source, but the original as well. I can easily overlook how they animate, but as I said, because I've been spoiled by Half-Life 2, the fact the NPCs all look and sound the same, and have very little personality, it makes it difficult for me to find them interesting and likeable. Besides it's only a minor issue anyway.

Quote:
The strong point is not, and was never the story (although it is a good one), but rather the way it was told. it was new, groundbreaking and spectacular.
I never really thought that much of the way the story was told either. But for me, the strongest point of the original Half-Life will always be the gameplay and not the story. If I'd've played this game at the time of its release then I'd probably think differently.

Quote:
Doom 3 story is almost a carbon copy of the original Doom's story (the game is a remake), i dont think they were heavily inspired by Half-Life's plot. Nor did Valve take inspiration from Doom, at least storywise, Valve did something completely bold and new. Well id's games were in some part important for Valve, it was the example they had not to follow, their games were the complete opposite of Valve's philosophy, and thats why HL was so successful.
I know DOOM 3 is a remake of the original. And yes, Valve were inspired by the original DOOM's gameplay more than the actual story (I'm pretty sure I read/heard it somewhere but I can't remember where). But you can't deny that the story of DOOM 3 is a bit similar to Half-Life's:
  • Main character, scientists and security guards working in a facility/science base
  • Main character arrives/gets caught up in the aftermath of a secret experiment
  • Teleportation is involved - beings from another world start teleporting into the base and causing havok - killing everyone they come into contact with
  • Main character doesn't speak
  • Main character is only one of very few survivors
  • Main character has to travel into the alien/demon world by himself

I did say that Valve 'were' inspired by id, but I didn't say that id 'were' inspired by Valve. That was just speculation on my part as the basic plot/events are a bit similar.

EDIT: On another note, when is Half-Life: Black Mesa gonna be released? I can't wait to try that out.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour

Last edited by DustyShinigami; 04-02-2010 at 06:33 AM.