You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Last finished game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009, 06:12 AM   #981

Finished two games recently:

The Lost Crown
One of the best games I've played so far. I loved the style (even though Nigel came along a bit clumsy and awkward), the sound, the story, the characters. Close to perfection, as far as I am concerned. What I didn't like about the game: You can't skip dialogue; there are only 8 slots for save games; sometimes the running from point A to point B was a little frustrating - I would have liked an interactive map. Other than that, the game was great; easy to handle, hours and hours of gaming, brilliantly told story that was exciting and gripping until the end. And above all, this is a game that still keeps my mind engaged, keeps me thinking and wondering and makes me want to play it again instantly.
10/10

Simon the Sorcerer 4
Maybe it was a mistake to play this game shortly after finishing The Lost Crown but I was in the mood for something funny... so I loaded the game and instantly disliked Simon. The German voice is awful; he keeps blabbering a lot of nonsense, the humour wasn't my cup of tea at all. After 1,5 hours of gaming, I switched the game off and let it rest for a while, hoping that, upon a restart, it might become better. I did play it through but never felt any sympathy for any of the characters (exception: Calypso, he was just one sweet ghost). I just didn't care. Even though the puzzles were well done and the graphics nice to look at, I finished the game with mixed feelings, the feeling "Heck, I didn't like this at all" clearly dominating. Technically, the game is done very well even though it crashed repeatedly when trying to perform a specific task. But other than that it ran smoothly on my computer; graphics and sound were (apart from Simon's annoying voice) well executed, the story was interesting enough to keep me going though towards the end an inner voice kept nagging "Get it over with, get it over with... oh no, not another task to perform, let the credits roll already". As I said before, maybe it wasn't the right time to play this game; maybe I would have liked it better if I had played it in a couple of weeks.
6/10
Old 07-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #982
Homer of Kittens

inFamous:
This is Sucker Punch's first foray into the realm of open world games after having worked on the excellent Sly Cooper series on the PS2.

inFamous is a super hero open world game done right. Everything about the game was designed to make it FUN and addicting. For example, the protagonist is limited to electrical powers, but they are a blast to use and interact with the environment in a very dynamic way. Throw electricity at water and you will electrocute anyone standing in it. Throw enough electricity at cars, and they will explode. Or if you run out of electricity, you can recharge some from the power cables. The game is very well paced, with the enemies and your powers getting stronger as you play through the game. I never felt too overpowered that the game was too easy, or too underpowered that I died all the time. The difficulty always felt just right. Whenever new stronger villains showed up, the game granted me a new super power. Every single building in infamous is scalable, just like Assassin's creed, and you can use most of your powers while climbing. The whole platforming aspect feels fun and natural.

The missions are fun and varied enough that the game stays exciting and fresh throughout. There are a few missions that repeat several times (like the counter-surveillance mission for example), but there is enough variety here that you won't mind the few repetitions. This is very different from Assassin's Creed for example, where the side missions are so repetitive to the extent of boredom. The story is interesting and always keeps you wanting to play more to discover what happens next. I won't spoil the ending, but the game is worth finishing just to watch the BIG twist at the end.

There is a morality scale here, where if you do good deeds you get good karma points, whereas if you do bad deeds, you become a super villain. There are 15 good and 15 evil side missions that are mutually exclusive, so to play all of them, you have to play the game twice. Also being bad changes your character cosmetically (he releases red electicity instead of blue one, his look becomes more like a Sith lord than a Jedi master), and grants you a few unique powers. People also react differently to you, whether you are good or bad. They cheer you and take your pictures if you are good, or throw rocks at you if you are evil. Besides that, there is really not that much big of a difference between the 2.

But just like everything else in this world, this game is not perfect. The graphics are very washed out and shabby, and there are lots of pop ins. Also the game is rough around the edges in many places, with a few glitches that you observe as you play the game.

But games are all about FUN, and they don't come any more fun than inFamous.

9/10

Firefox rules
Old 07-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #983

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Monkey Island: Special Edition
The classic adventure game Monkey Island get's a facelift in MI:SE which gives a new generation a chance to check out this old gem. The credits end with a special thanks to all the fans worldwide. Well, one of them of me. As one who finished the classic numerous times (awhile I finished it at least once every year) I had things I liked about the remake and things I didn't like.

The good first; it's fun to play this classic with enhanced graphics and sound. The original game didn't have any voice acting at all and the music was MIDI. There wasn't any images for your inventory either (except for the CD version). In many ways the new graphics are well done. I was particulary amazed over the first screen, outside the scumm bar. Here you can now see a dock in the background and there's a large tree with falling leaves in the foreground. I particulary remember that on the PC/Amiga version you could see the face of a dog you can talk with in the bar but you would never get to see that in the game, that was actually one of the first things I had to check out, turns out they added the dog's face in the SE version. Just a minor thing.

The bad... well, some of the voice acting could be better. I felt that the Sword Master were emotionless and I didn't really like the voice of Governor Marley. Another major issue for me was the new look on many of the characters. Guybrush new haircut is terrible, and when he is facing you he have this hollow glare which I just thought annoying. The first characters you meet, like the pirate with one eye and the one who makes fun of your game... well, they looked kinda bad. Worst was probably Governor Marley though, who where very pretty in the original, and in the 3rd game as well, but looks very poorly done in this remake.

I also thought that some scenes missed the OOOMPH they had in the original game. A certain explosion in the end just wasn't as cool as the original, and the few seconds of silence that happens if you insult the important-looking pirates wasn't there in the Special Edition.

On the technical side, the game refused to run on my TV that's connected to my 2nd graphiccard. Finally I thought the controls was quite bad. You do not get the options on screen anymore, you rotate them with your mousewheel or you have to push keys on the keyboard. This is quite annoying in places where it matters if you use "pick up", "pull" or "push" and you have to push P, Y or S.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #984

I just finished Dreamfall today. Really loved the story and I hope they finish that MMO of theirs soon so that they can finally start making those Dreamfall chapters (though I hate episodic content but for dreamfall maybe I could make an exception).

I also really liked Zoe, unlike most people it seems,who prefer April (probably because of the first game which I haven't played).

As for the ending, it was kind of sad and I can see why many people didn't like it, especially considering the fact that the sequel is nowhere in sight.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #985
In an evening of July...

Battlefield Heroes - finished it as in reached max level (and #107 on the leaderboard). I'm probably spending waay too much time with this game, but curiously enough I can't stop.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #986
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhound71 View Post
I also really liked Zoe, unlike most people it seems,who prefer April (probably because of the first game which I haven't played).

As for the ending, it was kind of sad and I can see why many people didn't like it, especially considering the fact that the sequel is nowhere in sight.
I liked her, too. I've played "The Longest Journey", and love April, of course, but I didn't have anything against Zoe. And April had changed so much since the first one, which was good for the story I guess, but I felt more on Zoe's side than April's in Dreamfall. And I loved the ending, because of how mad it made me. They have to at least write a graphic novel to tie up all of the loose ends, if they won't make the chapters. And episodic games jsut about Stark and Arcadia would be awesome. I would play them.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #987

Force Unleashed
Force Unleashed promises to allow you to weild the power like never before, while telling the story between Episode III and IV. Does it deliver?

Story
You are Starkiller, the secret apprentice of Darth Vader. You work as his assassin, defeating escaped Jedi all over the galaxy. He is really training you so that you and he can take on the emperor.
The story is told through cutscenes between levels. Force Unleashed is supposed to bridge the gap between Episode III and IV, primarily dealing with the birth of the rebellion to fight back to an already totalitarian empire. It does, but I would have preferred a bit more filling. There are very few surprises here and very little emotion. It never really feels epic, you are like this unknown outsider all the way through. There's almost no characterbuildning for any of the main characters, not even the apprentice.
The primary villains seems to have more effort to them. Most of them are Jedi who one way or another have became mentally unstable when being forced to deal with the fact that the Jedi Council is annihilated. We have one who built his own imaginary council, one drunkard and one who seem to be the only one who doesn't realize her padawan have been corrupted by the dark side.

Engine
There were a lot of buzz regarding the Force Unleashed engine. Very early videos started to appear on the web showcasing it's amazing AI and breakable environment. While this is in the game, it haven't actually been used as much as you would like. There are always something that can be ripped to shreds, but most of the level is still rock solid, meaning it's useless to play around breaking stuff. While it happens that the enemy reacts to the environment, this is pretty rare. They never really become anything more than cannon fodder.

Graphically the game uses most ghee-whizz effects out there. Personally I thought that character faces didn't look as good as other games, lips and eyes in particular, but levels often look amazing. Soundwise the game have what you would expect from a star wars game, lightsaber sounds, blaster sounds and John Williams music.

A major issue I had was the loading sequences. Opening any menu will lead to a loading screen, dying or restarting the level will lead to a loading screen... This is one game you will see the loading screen a lot and it gets frustrating.

Another nuisance is that many of the cutscenes cannot be skipped.

Gameplay
Force Unleashed is essentially a hack & slash game, very similar to games like God of War. Those who played the Jedi Knight series will see the return of upgradeable forcepowers and lightsaber customization and you can even find custom robes. Force Unleashed offers pretty much every feature you can ask for in a game such as this one, but it fails to bring any surprises and it's also in the gameplay area that Force Unleashed suffers.

The gameplay is tweaked a bit, but not enough. One of the key issues is targeting. Force powers usually targets opponents in front of Starkiller rather than in the middle of the camera, and it will not be uncommon that you unleash your powers on an item closer to Starkiller than your real target standing next to it. Prepare to forcelightning or accidently throwing a piece of item instead of a foe.

Another problem is that all those combos you can unlock doesn't really matter. This is a hack & slash game and during the later levels you might take the quick approach and use the combos you are familiar with instead of bothering with the new ones. The stuff you get for free is more than enough to get you through the game. In fact, I didn't use a single force upgrade until the 8th level on Sith Warrior. Another problem is that the areas are usually so hampered that there are few possibilities for experimentation anyway.

There are also sequences in which savepoints are far between, forcing you to watch through a pair of cutscenes and do several hard and annoying battles over and over again.

All of these make the game frustrating and make actually sometimes end up somewhat boring and repetitive.

I also hate buttonmashing cutscenes. Since I am forced to watch the "press this button fast" descriptions anyway I won't get to see the cutscene. Add to that, many of the minibosses cannot be killed unless you button-sequence them to death. I noticed one time in which wookiees had dropped a miniboss to zero health, but it just wouldn't die until I walked up there and did the buttonsequence.

Final Conclusion
Force Unleashed is not a bad game, but not a particulary good either. The unique engine never get's to shine enough, the story offers no surprises and little emotion and there are plenty of technical problems to make the game frustrating. Having said that, Star Wars fans can most likely forgive the flaws and should go on playing it anyway. Like I said, it's neither a bad game, nor is it a perfect game. I could compare it to Republic Commando that also delivered what it promised without being a particulary good game.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #988
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I just finished Bit.Trip: Core today. At first I thought it wasn't as good as its predecessor (Bit.Trip: Beat), but the more I played it the more I loved it. The music has gotten much better, and there are more interesting patterns and rhythms. The control scheme caused physical pain to my thumbs, but I was having so much fun that that barely mattered to me. What holds this series back now is only the lack of a practice mode; otherwise it's fantastic.
4/5
Old 07-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #989

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
When you combine Tomb Raider with Gears of War, and do everything absolutely right, you might end up with Uncharted, a game which have almost no scratches, in which both gameplay, story and graphics just shines.

Story
A treasure hunting hero, Nathan Drake, who are appearently ancestor to famous explorer Sir Francis Drake, teams up with a journalist, Elena Fisher, to seek for the lost treasure of El Dorado. If you have seen movies like Romancing the Indiana Jones movies you can tell what kind of story you are offered in Uncharted and this is one who do the story so well that you are dragged right into it, and will probably fall in love with the characters.

I wish I could say more about it because the story really is better than average for games.

Engine: Graphics & Sound
Uncharted is probably one of the best looking games on console. The maps are extremely well done and they look absolutely beautiful. Characters looks great and they are well animated. The sound is great. Drake and whatever companion you have with you often pass comments on the situation, like if he finds a good item, or if new enemies pop up. The musical score is awesome and one that I have to get the OST for, it really sounds like a classic adventure movie. There's nothing to complain about here.

Gameplay
Gameplay is rock solid and highly optimized, leaving no glitches whatsoever that I could see.

Uncharted takes some of the games most celebrated for gameplay out there and mash them into one; Gears of War and Tomb Raider. A lot of the game is puzzlesolving mixed with climbing and jumping around in a way that is almost identical to Tomb Raider (or Prince of Persia), so fans of that series will feel right at home. But combat have been directly borrowed from Gears of War. That means that you need to duck & cover if you want to stay alive. Both of these works very well, and the platform controls are actually easier to control than Tomb Raider: Legends/Anniversary/Underworld as far as I can tell. The Duck & Cover system works very well too. Unlike games in which there are very defined places in which you can take cover, Uncharted pretty much lets you take cover anywhere in which there's a wall or something else. There's also a twist near the end that changes the way you play quite a bit, which allows you to play the game more like a shooter in an (in my opinion) fun way.

Beyond that there's the ability to control turrets and drive vehicles, which is in almost all games like this.

There are some "push theese buttons in the right time" cutscenes that I generally hate, but unlike other games this never got frustrating. Most of the time you only need to push one button at the right time so you do not need to memorize button orders.

There's tons of rewards/trophies to be made in the game that unlocks all sorts of bonus modes and extra features. Many of theese encourage you to experiment with weapons in different ways.

If I should get nitpicky, there are very few things I can imagine complaning about... Maybe there are bits where you have to beat waves of enemies that get's kinda repetitive, unless you take your chance to unlock some trophies while you got the chance. I also had some problems to find where to go, but there's a help function that pops up if you stay too long at one place.

Final Conclusions
I had never heard of Naughty Dog prior to this game, but appearently they were behind the Crash Bandicot and Jak & Daxter, of which I have played neither. I was taken by complete surprise that a game company I never heard of, release the first game in a new series, and do everything absolutely right. Uncharted is probably the best game I played this year.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:13 PM   #990

That villain guy hired THOUSANDS of vigilantes to help find and protect ONE piece of treasure. How much did he think it was worth to justify paying those men for full days work? Vigilante seems like a fairly well paying job. Obviously he didn't have to worry about it as Nathan Drake managed to kill them all, but still, it seems excessive. Also, why whenever Drake and Co. found some NEW place that they explicitly say the enemy hasn't discovered is it always crawling with said enemies? Why were there so many people paid to stand around on a ledge next to explosive barrels just in case someone showed up? I understand they might need explosive barrels maybe to bust through walls perhaps, but wouldn't they keep them in one general place where they might be useful. Why did they dump so many of them into the river? They just kept dumping them in there even though they had guns and Drake and Elena should have been easy targets. There were so many nagging questions I couldn't get out of my head throughout that game, which isn't to say it wasn't good of course. The next one looks even sweeter though.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:16 PM   #991
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
I was taken by complete surprise that a game company I never heard of, release the first game in a new series, and do everything absolutely right. Uncharted is probably the best game I played this year.
Naughty Dog is one of the most revered console developers out there. The Jak and Daxter series is one of the best platforming experiences out there, and one of the best series on the good old PS2. Them and Insomniac games are among the few Playstation exclusive companies that almost always deliver quality games.

Firefox rules
Old 07-27-2009, 05:06 AM   #992
The Quiet One

Far Cry 2

In a way, this is sort of a first-person Grand Theft Auto set in Africa. You have an open world to explore, it's none linear, you have safe houses whereby you can advance time from day to night, weather changes, main storyline missions, side missions, assassination missions, collectables scattered around the world, a wide range of weapons, vehicles you can use to drive around from one destination to the other and contacts/buddies who can help you with certain missions.

When i first started playing this i thought it was great. Sadly, the more i played, the more my good opinions dropped and my negative opinions increased. After a while, the game became a chore to play through and i couldn't wait to get it finished so i could sell it on ebay. This is a game i have no desire to replay again in the future.

Positives:

+ Gorgeous graphics
+ A non linear, open world game
+ Some good gameplay elements - weapon/vehicle upgrades etc.
+ Quite a bit to do - main missions, side missions, collectables etc. (took me over 45 hours playtime in total)

Negatives:

- My biggest gripe: enemies have a REALLY annoying habit of chasing after you in vehicles and shooting at you just by driving/walking past them. You can't get from point A to point B in peace without being attacked. You have to keep getting out of your vehicle, shooting them dead, repairing your vehicle and then continuing. Really irritating and tedious. This issue is similar in Assassin's Creed. At least in Grand Theft Auto the police don't bother you unless you do something foolish. In Far Cry 2, your character would only have to sneeze nearby and the soldiers are suddenly all over you.
- The story is poor. At least i found it poor. What story there was didn't interest me in the slightest and therefore i didn't pay attention.
- No interesting/likeable characters
- Poor voice acting. To me it sounded like the voice actors were just reading from their scripts. It also sounded like they were doing it quickly as well. They didn't put any feeling into it and their acting came off as very flat and with no emotion.
- Missions are VERY repetitive. They just seem to consist of the same tasks over and over again - head to point A, kill him or take this item, then come back to me at point B. At least in GTA IV the missions feel more varied and fun to do imo. They never feel dull to me. In this game... urgh.
- Frame rate issues and screen tearing are present. Especially when the action increases.
- Game has a few bugs/glitches. It crashed on me about 2-3 times and one bug caused confusion and stress involving an achievement. 2 other achievements unlocked before i even accomplished the tasks required.
- Just like F.E.A.R., you can't even skip the credits at the end.
- Ending felt unsatisfying
- Vehicles sometimes have an annoying habit of getting stuck. Just be careful when driving over protruding rocks or when driving between objects like trees etc.
- What the hell is the point of giving the player the option to try and heal buddies who are 'down' at the end of a mission? If you take their advice/path, after you've received a mission briefing, you'll always have to get to them in time and provide backup. 9 times out of 10, the buggers will always get wounded. What the hell makes them think, that they alone, can take on a load of soldiers? lol. If one injection doesn't heal them, which it never does, the next two definitely won't. You're left with no choice but to either give them an overdose, put them out of their misery or try again if you want all your buddies to stay alive.
- How many times does it take to drop an enemy? Seriously? Even on easy they never drop when they should. Even if you get them to drop to the ground, after filling them with lead up close, they'll sometimes squirm around on the ground groaning in pain.
- Rockets sometimes have a mind of their own once fired.
- Tedious having to travel from one destination the next and then back again.
- It's frustrating trying to drive at night. Even with the headlights on, i still had difficulty seeing where i was going. I had to keep advancing time to make it daylight.
- Although an interesting concept in theory i still wasn't happy it was added into the game - weapons will only last for a certain amount of time before they rust, blockup and then break. It's annoying when in combat and your bloody weapon sticks.
- Multiplayer is pfft.

Considering all my negatives outweigh the positives, the game is still alright/okay. Just not one i'll be replaying. Ever.

Note: I gave Alone in the Dark 2.5/5 whereas this one only 2/5. I think Far Cry 2 is better out of the two. But only slightly. So my rating for Alone in the Dark has been dropped to 2/5 as well.

Overall: 2/5
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour

Last edited by DustyShinigami; 07-27-2009 at 05:17 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:51 AM   #993
The Quiet One

The Secret of Monkey Island - Special Edition

After all the moaning about Far Cry 2, at least there's one game for me to be happy about.

Although this game isn't perfect and has it's flaws (what game doesn't?) i love it and don't really have any criticisms. Sure, Guybrush's new look does look a bit odd, but it doesn't really bother me. Certainly doesn't ruin my enjoyment. Speech in the original would have been welcome, but again, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I still think it's awesome that the original has been included, and left as it is, and can be played at the press of a button. Pauses during dialogue were a little criticism i did have. But not any more. And all thanks to being able to increase the subtitle speed in the original.

Positives:

+ A really faithful special edition/remake of the original
+ Gorgeous artwork/graphics
+ Top notch voice acting
+ Humour has been kept fully intact
+ Hint system is a welcome feature
+ Great music score composed by a live band (i have to be honest i do prefer the CD audio that came with the original by Michael Land).
+ Great that you can switch between Classic and Special Edition at the press of a button

Negatives:

- Interface (inventory/verbs/mouse) feel/felt a bit awkward/clunky, although you do get used to it after a bit. I was even confused whilst trying to combine the melting mugs on the 360 version. I had no idea how to do it. Also, i would have prefered the PC version to have been mouse only and no keyboard.

Overall: 5/5
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 07-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #994
Stalker of Britain

So, after the disappointing playthrough of Kings Quest 3 and all of that, I've just finished the 4th Kings Quest, "Perils of Rosella". I LOVE it! At first, just judging by the premises, I thought I'd like the 3rd one more. A slave that must escape, all that angst. But the gameplay made me pull my hair out. Now this game, about a girl going to get a fruit, didn't really thrill me. But oh boy.

Playing a girl was wonderful. I'm not one of those feminists who like to play girls. I actually like playing boys more than girls, except for April Ryan of course, but this was just enchanting. It was nice to be a girl in this fantasy world, and they could slip more fairy tales dealing with girls in. I love how these "Kings Quest" games sneak all kinds of references in about fairy tales. And I loved her hair, and how it swung back and forth...she was so pretty.

Now I died every second trying to go up those darn stairs, but with a lot of saves, I got past them. What I love about this game that the previous games didn't really do, was that I actually made an attachment with a character. In the earlier games, all of the supporting characters (besides who you played) were 1-dimensional. But in this one, I fell in love with Edward, and how shy he was. Now, the ending got me sad, since
Spoiler:
she wouldn't marry him, so someone please tell me he comes back and they do. lol
The next game, did this too, with me falling in love with Cedric. Which makes me always surprised when everyone says they didn't like him.

So anyway, I much more enjoyed this Kings Quest.
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Far Cry 2
- My biggest gripe: enemies have a REALLY annoying habit of chasing after you in vehicles and shooting at you just by driving/walking past them. You can't get from point A to point B in peace without being attacked. You have to keep getting out of your vehicle, shooting them dead, repairing your vehicle and then continuing. Really irritating and tedious. This issue is similar in Assassin's Creed. At least in Grand Theft Auto the police don't bother you unless you do something foolish. In Far Cry 2, your character would only have to sneeze nearby and the soldiers are suddenly all over you.
In my gaming group this have became one of our in-group jokes. We are making references to this like all the time, like "let's go there, it won't take long. Unless the GM designed this inspired by Far Cry 2", or "let's roll on the encounter table. Roll 1d10. 1-9 means you encounter 2 vehicles and 4 guards. 10 means roll twice on this table".
Old 07-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #996

Quote:
Originally Posted by youfightlikeadairyfarmer View Post
That villain guy hired THOUSANDS of vigilantes to help find and protect ONE piece of treasure. How much did he think it was worth to justify paying those men for full days work? Vigilante seems like a fairly well paying job. Obviously he didn't have to worry about it as Nathan Drake managed to kill them all, but still, it seems excessive. Also, why whenever Drake and Co. found some NEW place that they explicitly say the enemy hasn't discovered is it always crawling with said enemies? Why were there so many people paid to stand around on a ledge next to explosive barrels just in case someone showed up? I understand they might need explosive barrels maybe to bust through walls perhaps, but wouldn't they keep them in one general place where they might be useful. Why did they dump so many of them into the river? They just kept dumping them in there even though they had guns and Drake and Elena should have been easy targets. There were so many nagging questions I couldn't get out of my head throughout that game, which isn't to say it wasn't good of course. The next one looks even sweeter though.
There's tons of minor nitpicks I could give this game. Like the world is filled with the same brand of weapons and they are conveniently placed everywhere, even in the middle of the jungle or in ancient catacombs.
And when using the water bike it's convenient how there's tons of pirates strategically guarding every angle of the river, what were they expecting?

But I just feel silly for nitpicking when the overall experience was as good as it was. I could most certainly find similar holes in most adventuremovies that just try to be fun.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:17 PM   #997

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
Naughty Dog is one of the most revered console developers out there. The Jak and Daxter series is one of the best platforming experiences out there, and one of the best series on the good old PS2. Them and Insomniac games are among the few Playstation exclusive companies that almost always deliver quality games.
Appearently, I just never got to play them.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:28 PM   #998
Stalker of Britain

I've been on a "Kings Quest" marathon for the past few days, since I had only played the 1st and 5th games and had heard how amazing the series was. I just finished the 6th game, "Heir Today, Gone Tommorow", and it was...amazing. I don't think it'll go so far to be on my favorite games list, but it definetely was worth playing. At first, I didn't see what the big deal was that everyone was talking about, but then as the story grew, and some of the supporting characters started to become stronger characters, I started to like it more. There was some hilarious scenes that actually made me laugh out loud, like the "dying" scene and the "brothers". I instantly took a liking to the genie, and this game actually reminded me of "The Longest Journey", with the "stick men" and the flying creatures, with the Aletian and the Winged Ones. Anyway, by the end, I was wrapped up in the plot so much that the ending made a huge smile come to my face like not many games do. I loved it, and the game was definitely amazing. They could have the different islands speak badly about each other more, since I didn't really pick up the other islands were fighting each other. I love how they made up a curse word, Zounds! It was definitely worth it!!

A question for those who have played the series; I don't suppose we get to see Edgar or Cedric again? I really liked Edgar in the 4th game, and it made me sad he didn't get to marry Rosella. I liked him, even when he was the hunchback. His shyness was cute. And even though everyone hated Cedric, I loved him.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:09 AM   #999
the midnight rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
When you combine Tomb Raider with Gears of War, and do everything absolutely right, you might end up with Uncharted, a game which have almost no scratches, in which both gameplay, story and graphics just shines.
I've just started this on a recommendation from a friend and so far I'm really enjoying it. Everything seems very solid in a fun Indiana Jones B-movie sort of way and having recently completed the terribly boring and clunky GTA IV it's nice to see a game like Unchartered show how fun should be done. I've heard it's relatively short as well which is great for me because I've not got a lot of time on my hands at the moment!
Old 07-29-2009, 02:04 AM   #1000

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
But in this one, I fell in love with Edward, and how shy he was. Now, the ending got me sad, since
Spoiler:
she wouldn't marry him, so someone please tell me he comes back and they do. lol
Well, I won't spoil the plot entirely to you but... King's Quest VII holds the answers to all your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
A question for those who have played the series; I don't suppose we get to see Edgar or Cedric again? I really liked Edgar in the 4th game, and it made me sad he didn't get to marry Rosella. I liked him, even when he was the hunchback. His shyness was cute. And even though everyone hated Cedric, I loved him.
I'm too amongst the Cedric fans. That's saying, I didn't find him as annoying as other people did, but unfortunately, or luckily (depends on where you're standing), Cedric doesn't appear in the series outside from KQ5. As for Edgar, see my hint above!

I'm really glad that you liked KQ6, that in my opinion is truly and wholly one of the very best adventures ever made. Now that you've played the first, the third, the fourth, the fifth and the sixth, my question is: did you played also the second one? It is my least favorite in the series As for the seventh one, it was very different from the 6th, more Disney-like and more soft-hearted.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box